Sponsored

Any have issues with denied claims under Mopar Extended Protection Plans?

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've considering an 8yr MaxCare plan for my 2021 JLUR. But I am also considering a small lift and larger tires down the road. I'm curious if anyone has had issues with MOPAR denying Extended Protection claims because their Jeep has been lifted or larger tires added? If so, what was the modification and disallowed claim?

When I asked my dealer this question he told me to call MOPAR directly. MOPAR Extended Protection Sales told me that a claim would only be disallowed if it directly caused the issue being repaired. But then he transferred me to MOPAR Extended Protection Customer Support for a follow up question. The Customer Support person told me she had personally seen claims disallowed for unrelated modifications. So two different answers from two different MOPAR employees within 5 minutes.

I went back to my dealer who said (i) he has not had anyone buy the specific lift coverage for an additional $495, and (ii) he has not heard back from any of his customers with lifts or larger tires that their claims have been disallowed. This is for both MOPAR and 3rd party lifts. He sent me the language from the MaxCare contract which seems to pretty specifically says that claims will be disallowed IF THE ISSUES IS CAUSED BY THE MODIFICATION.

I know some say they get MOPAR lifts installed by the dealer to ensure coverage, but in theory this only works if they also buy the additional $495 lift coverage. And I am eying the MK 2.5" GC lift which is a better / more complete lift than the 2" MOPAR lift.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Your extended warranty isn’t quite as easy as your manufacturer’s warranty. Think of your car’s extended warranty like a home owner’s insurance policy. Every time something goes wrong and you make a claim, you have to plead your case to an “investigator” whose job it is to protect the best interest of the insurance company by deciding whether they’re going to spend the money fixing your issue. How lenient they are depends on the cost of the issue, their current mood, and how well your service writer relates what you tell them.

I had a Jetta with a spewing oil pump. Extended warranty claim was denied because a leak isn’t considered a “catastrophic failure.” I had a friend get a new steering wheel and door cards covered on his Infiniti because the finish was flaking off. So you never really actually know.

With extended warranties, regardless of your aftermarket accessories, you often need to work for claim coverage. The contract language is vague by design but that also works in your favor. So knowing you’ll have a fight regardless, I recommend you do what you want to the Jeep.

Hope that helps.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe, Mustang Mach-E, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
From my reading posts over the years, it seems like the covered or denied claims have a lot to do with the dealership, and how Jeep friendly that particular dealership is. To give yourself the best chance, I would suggest finding a Jeep dealership that has a few lifted Jeeps out front.

I purchased the lift kit coverage for my Gladiator, and I've attached the plan provisions if you'd like to read them over for yourself.

Attachments

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Extended warranties tend to have a lot of differing conditions from plan to plan.

If the warranty is to extend your OEM warranty then, just like Jeep, it will not cover aftermarket parts nor any OEM part that is damaged due to the failure of an aftermarket part.

It's best that you read the entire extended warranty contract before you purchase one. My preference has always been the Mopar Maximum Care warranty. No issues with that plan despite having an average of two expensive claims on my last three MOPAR products.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I was denied warranty for a worn drag link at 34k because of 37” tires. I bought and had installed at this dealer a mopar lift as was assured that the lift and tires wouldn’t affect the warranty. 15 months later they looked me straight in the eyes and said “we never said that”. Could I have fought it and possibly forced them to fix it? Maybe, but it showed me everything I need to know about this dealership, plus how much effort should I put into getting a new part that I know can’t make it more than 30k miles. I know I’ll get heat from some for saying it, but I say extended warranties are losing propositions, if they weren’t the companies would go broke instead of paying dividends to stock holders.

Sponsored

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would highly recommend not getting any type of extended warranties or any additional coverages the stealerships offer you.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The Mopar Max Care Warranty has specific language about coverage and lifts. They charge extra for Mopar Lifts if you want additional coverage.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Why do companies sell extended warranties? Why do they call you for months and in some cases even years after you buy your car and continue to try to sell you an extended warranty?

Because it is in THEIR best interest. Keep that in mind.

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Max Care plan. Not sure about lifting and suspension, but when I had my rear glass shuttered due to infamous heat sensor unsoldering issue, Mopar totally refused to cover it.

OP
OP

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
From my reading posts over the years, it seems like the covered or denied claims have a lot to do with the dealership, and how Jeep friendly that particular dealership is. To give yourself the best chance, I would suggest finding a Jeep dealership that has a few lifted Jeeps out front.

I purchased the lift kit coverage for my Gladiator, and I've attached the plan provisions if you'd like to read them over for yourself.
The attachment is very helpful; thank you very much.

It clearly says that claims should be disallowed only if the issue was caused by the modification.

Also, that a MOPAR lift is only covered if the additional lift coverage is added.

So if I do a lift down the road and decide against MOPAR with lift coverage, any related issues will not be covered. But completely unrelated issues should be covered (electrical or air conditioning for example). And of course there could be gray areas where MOPAR will claim the modification caused the issue even if it appears unlikely.

I still think it is worth it to add another 5yrs of coverage on the Jeep.
Sponsored