Sponsored

Any good videos for steering wheel removal?

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I am surprised there aren't any good videos of removing the steering wheel in our Jeeps. I found one on YouTube, but it's not very good. I am pulling mine off to swap out the bezel; just worried about unplugging the connectors for the airbag and controls. Any tips/tricks?
Sponsored

OP
OP
4doorturbo

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Moderately easy process, actually. Here are my steps:
1) Disconnect battery - make sure to isolate the aux battery ground wire from the ground connection. Then remove the ground connection from the battery post.
2) Wait 30 minutes before continuing!
3) On the sides of the steering wheel, pop off the little covers on each side to expose the 10mm bolts. Remove bolts.
4) Center section of wheel (containing airbag) will be loose. Carefully pull it forward and you will see the wiring. There are a total of 4 plugs.
5) I was concerned about the 3 airbag plugs (yellow wire loom), but they are simple to disconnect. Just need to use a small pick or flat head screwdriver to pry up the red middle lock for the 3 connections. Disconnect the 3 plugs; don't worry about remembering where each one went when you get to reconnecting, as they are color coded.
6) Once the 3 airbag wires are disconnected, unplug the orange wire connector that is to the left of the steering wheel nut. There will be one more plug to disconnect, but you can do that when the wheel is out of the vehicle.
7) Using a 24mm socket, remove steering wheel bolt.
8) Carefully pull the wheel and remove from vehicle.
9) Once steering wheel is out of the car, you can carefully unplug the final connector and remove the airbag assembly completely.

I did this so I could swap out the steering wheel bezel. That is held on with 8 torx screws, and is simple to remove.

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
1) Disconnect battery - make sure to isolate the aux battery ground wire from the ground connection. Then remove the ground connection from the battery post.
3) On the sides of the steering wheel, pop off the little covers on each side to expose the 10mm bolts. Remove bolts.
4) Center section of wheel (containing airbag) will be loose. Carefully pull it forward and you will see the wiring. There are a total of 4 plugs.
5) I was concerned about the 3 airbag plugs (yellow wire loom), but they are simple to disconnect. Just need to use a small pick or flat head screwdriver to pry up the red middle lock for the 3 connections. Disconnect the 3 plugs; don't worry about remembering where each one went when you get to reconnecting, as they are color coded.
6) Once the 3 airbag wires are disconnected, unplug the orange wire connector that is to the left of the steering wheel nut. There will be one more plug to disconnect, but you can do that when the wheel is out of the vehicle.
9) Once steering wheel is out of the car, you can carefully unplug the final connector and remove the airbag assembly completely.

I did this so I could swap out the steering wheel bezel. That is held on with 8 torx screws, and is simple to remove.
Am doing this today. Does removing the negative reset anything? radio presets bluetooth ect?

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

Did you really just ask and answer your own question?

Top notch man. Top notch.

OP
OP
4doorturbo

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Did you really just ask and answer your own question?

Top notch man. Top notch.
I guess I did...I asked at first and then decided to jump in and tackle it myself, and so I posted my process, hoping it would assist others out there!
Sponsored