Any Good Recipes For The Trail?

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah, not exactly a low fat dish. I leave off the crushed chips so we can call it low carb and cater to the keto guys in our group
This one should do well in a Dutch oven on campfire coals. I’d probably go 50/50 thick sliced ham with the bacon.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
We call them foil meals. Take meat (cooked), potatoes, veggies whatever you want. Throw a spoon of butter and wrap the whole thing in foil. Then when you're ready you can throw it on the fire or camp stove to warm it up. Since you're basically doing all the prep at home and just reheating it on the trail there are a lot of possibilities.
I've always been a PB&J guy for trail rides/ day trips where temperature is an issue, but now that I have a little room and a larger cooler (and a family), I think this is going to be my strategy. Prep at home, Wrap in foil, toss in a ziplock, in the cooler basket, and then break out the camp stove with some foil. It was super simple on the one Camping/ Wheeling trip I got to go on so far. My buddy is notorious for this- he eats better than all of us on the trail. He's cooked burritos on his 4.0L TJ's engine block and they were perfect by lunch time, and regularly breaks out the grille for the Burgers/ Hotdogs at lunch.

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

My brother and I have a standard penalty meal in the Boundary Waters... we take enough food for every day, but if we don't catch fish to eat and have no other food left, our last evening's dinner is Mac n Cheese n Spam. :LOL: Just like it sounds... make Mac n Cheese, and throw in cut up, fried Spam. Presuming you can deal with both, it ain't that bad, but if you find either or both somewhat vile it may not be so swell...

Other things to consider...

Shontz on Venture4WD uses his sandwich iron over his stove burner a lot - that can be a hearty hot dinner with easy sammy fixin favorites.

I know it's not necessarily recipes, but this is a list of ideas I threw at my bro for our Boundary Waters trip in June... just a brain dump of ideas - they should apply to car camping even easier than canoe packing. A couple pretty easy gems for a camp stove are the pita pizzas, quesadillas, and the Zatarains jambalaya or dirty rice (or home-made; i was going for simplicity for packing).
  • Summer sausage
  • Lunch meat (first two days)
  • Cheese snacks
  • Granola bars, etc.
  • Pretzel bites
  • Trail mix (nuts and m&ms)
  • Beef Jerky
  • Mini cookies (chips ahoy, oreos, etc.)
  • Shredded cheese (for dinners) - mozzarella, mexican blend, cheddar
  • Pancakes / syrup (plastic bottle - just add water)
  • Bread / bread rounds / english muffins
  • PB&J, etc. (jelly squeeze bottle)
  • Mac & Cheese (+ spam? Other packaged meat?)
    • Take prefab cheese sauce to remove need for milk
  • Pita pizza
  • Dry noodles and/or rice packets
  • Butter (squeeze margarine, etc.)
  • Chicken pouches (to add to spag or noodles or rice)
  • Tuna packets - flavored types - for away lunch(?)
  • Soup starter packets (add chicken, and maybe more rice, etc. to make a stew)
  • Chicken Helper and chicken pouches
  • Tortillas
  • Cooking oil
  • Salsa
  • Quesadillas (tortillas, package chicken, cheese, salsa - maybe onions and peppers)
  • Betty Crocker instant hash browns (just add margaring/butter)
  • Hot dogs or sausage (polish, kielbasa, etc.) - can freeze to keep longer
  • Packaged BBQ, beef tips, or other stuff (can freeze to keep longer)
  • Zatarains jambalaya mix + andouille sausage (+ maybe package chicken)
Pre-make and/or Freeze and carry:
  • Steaks
  • Burgers
  • Taco meat
  • Eggs, sausage, bacon, peppers and onions (either plain or on tortillas)
  • Hamburger meat with onions and peppers (combine with Zatarains dirty rice or spaghetti sauce)
  • Smoked meats (or something like that if you wish to pre-prepare)
That looks very similar to my go to boundary waters meal plan. Depending on how long we will be out there.

ZoeSanderson

First Name
Zoe Sanderson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I think ham sandwiches are the best option. Or at least cheese burrito. I'm on a keto diet right now and I can't eat carbs. At first, it seemed unrealistic. How can I not eat sandwiches if they make up half of my daily diet? However, my wife advised me to read a great article about how I can even eat some fast food on a keto diet. I was very surprised, but it turns out that you can eat more than just fruits and vegetables on such a diet.

Last edited:

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Hot ham and cheese sandwich — basically loaf of French bread stuffed with ham and your choice of cheese. Wrapped in foil then put in engine block while you’re exploring. Ready by lunch

also premade burritos (beef Fajitas) wrapped in foil and reheated on engine block. Ready by lunch.
Sponsored