Sponsored

Any first time Unlimited owners regret not getting JK?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I have looked at buying a JK many times over the past several years. I always passed them over for one reason. There was this weird oscillation that either came from the suspension that just hit my ear drums the wrong way. It was like Chinese water torture. I think I would be just fine with it on short trips but on long trips I think I would be in the mood to murder my family. I just think my ears are weirdly over sensitive to it.

The JL doesn't have this problem. I have noticed this oscillation every once in a while on rough, or dirt, roads at lower speeds but it is slight and it only lasts a short time. I also noticed that it doesn't bother me at all with a cracked window. Once I realized the JLU didn't bug my ears, I knew I was going to buy one.
Sponsored

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
After 2 JKs 2 JKU's and now JLUR and new for my daughter JLUS, I probably never will go back to JK's.
Doors, Windshield, new Interior, bigger glass windows, 8 Speed Automatic, Dual Climate controls, back up camera, Alpine, HT/ST huge improvements, body styling, Rubicon Higher fenders, better tire and wheel choice, USB mini, LEDs, ESS yes I like it, and the place to put my drink on the tailgate when I am done looking at MY Jeeps.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I drove a Grand Cherokee Limited for 14 years. I was ready to buy a new car, but I was too attached to Jeeps to switch brands. My husband had a much newer Grand Cherokee Overland with the HEMI engine, so I took his Jeep, and he bought an Audi S5. I started researching cost of older Wranglers obsessively to see if I could budget one for a fun weekend car with every intention of keeping the Grand Cherokee as my regular daily driver.

Long story shorter (ish), I was out with my husband and we stopped by the Jeep dealership so I could get owning a Wrangler out of my system. Every time I had been in one, I couldn't justify giving up all of the features and comforts of the Grand Cherokee for a Jeep that made my ears want to bleed every time I stepped inside. (I am sound sensitive like @Sgt Beavis ) I had no intention of buying anything, so I was totally unfamiliar with the JL upgrades. One test drive of the Rubicon, and I was in love. Even though there was a JK in my dream color on the lot (Chief blue), I bought a white Rubicon with zero regrets.

Side note: my husband loves it so much that he has been talking about selling the Audi he has only had for 2 months to get his own.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I would imagine the owners having purchase regrets stop posting here

There's certainly good reasons to go JK. :)

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
First jeep as well. Started looking at used JKs but was not liking the low 30s price tag on 15' and 16' model years. After several months of looking used i abandoned that idea and said hey maybe a new JK for a bit more...never really considered a JL cause of price. So i head to the local dealership with my 16 year old daughter who was just starting to drive and we test drove the JK. We both liked it although a bit dated on the interior. Then we spot a JL, So i say what the heck lets compare...so we test drove the JL. Before we even left the parking lot my daughter says dad, no brainer! Brought back the wife, who at first said I don't care what you get and took her for a test drive, and she said, no comparison! So out the door we went with a JLU Sahara and we have been loving every minute of it!

Sponsored

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
My 3rd Jeep Wrangler. 1st Unlimited.
I am so Happy I did not get a JK. Ex gf has one and a buddy has a 2012 JK.
My JLU is Awesome! Better soft top, ride is like a smooth Cadillac and very trail tested!
Now I will just go broke in building it my way!
Cheers people!

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If you can get a screaming deal on a new JKU it might be worth driving for 2-3 years and it should hold its value well. Then purchase a JLU in 2-3 years when special editions might be available and other options like LED headlights on Sport. Hopefully most of the bugs will be worked out by then also.
I just bought a JKU on the cheap, and your plan sounds like my likeliest path to a JL, although I'll probably hang onto the JKU a bit longer, probably 5-6 years, since I bought an extended warranty on it.

Stratplexi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, BMW 535, Harley CVO Road King, 18 JLUR on order
Occupation
Engineering Director
Why buy an obsolete design when you can get the new design for 5% or more below invoice? The JLU is better in every way....its worth the nominal upcharge.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
That's a really tough call. I've owned both now, and if I had it to do over again today it would be a tough call.

The JK is roomier, more comfortable, less expensive, does everything offroad a JL will do, and already has a zillion aftermarket parts available.

The JL is more fuel efficient hands down, has better gearing, has a backup camera, and has a nicer soft top design if you can get your hands on one.

I could just about flip a coin and be happy either way.
Same with me. We have a '14 JKUR on 35s and our '18 JLUR (stock) and the JK is definitely roomier, quieter and more comfortable. My butt has never hurt on any road trip from 2 - 27 hours (non-stop) in our '07, '12 or '14 JKURs but I started to "feel it" after 3 hours in the JL and I do feel more cramped when I drive it and I'm only 5'9.

The driving position on the JL reminds me of a Polaris quad vs a Honda / Kawasaki / Yamaha. . . you're higher up and not down in the Jeep like with the JKs. Literally every time I drive my wife's JL I grab the seat lever to try and lower it back down only to find out it's all the way down. To me, it's the little things that make it seem small like the fact there's next to no room between the mirror and visor. I go to grab the side of the visor and knock the mirror out of wack. Try to stick an empty pop can between the parking break and seat but there's no room, etc. Nothing major, just little things some of us do while on a road trip.

I could do on about 10 other things I don't like, but I won't. Don't get me wrong, the JLs are nice and I do love the power with the 8 speed, backup camera, better sounding stereo, etc. but I don't think they're the second coming of God like a lot of people do.

If we sold the JL tomorrow I'd be perfectly happy keeping the JK in the family.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Yes I regret it. I just went with my friend and he got a JK Rubicon for the same price as my JL Sport with manual doors and locks and crappy handling.

I wish I had bought a slightly used 2016-2017 Rubicon, saved money for a good short arm lift kit with Falcon shocks (which still aren’t available for the JL) and had a sick ride for the same price.

Sponsored

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
I haven't driven a JL so far (Europe) but how in the world is a JK more comfortable?
The seats? Suspension? And quieter? Really?
I'm really surprised about some remarks here in this thread.

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have zero regrets regarding a JK. The JL rides so much better, I couldn't even consider the JK.

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
I had a JKU and really liked it. However, the JL has been simply awesome so far. No regrets for me.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
My wife and I had plans last year to fly to Dallas and get a Starwood JK and drive it back to PDX. I had a '93 lifted Cherokee laredo through high school and undergrad. I had been waiting since then to get a wrangler, just never was the right time. As I said, almost pulled the trigger on a JK last year but saw the JL. Went to Dallas, but didn't go to Starwood. Saw my first JL sahara in January I think and it was a done deal. I don't think I could have spelled "JK" for at least a month. I then found my JLUR in May and that was it. Zero regrets. Zero. Like none.
Sponsored