Sponsored

Any first time Unlimited owners regret not getting JK?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
For those who never owned a Wrangler unlimited before, do you regret not buying a 2018 JK instead of JL?

I see local dealers here with 2018 JK Sahara’s for 34-35k which is pretty enticing when compared to low end JL Sport.
Sponsored

Mud-N-Sun

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 2 door Sport TJ 2018 JLU Sport-S
I don't regret it for a second .I think I would have regretted it if I bought a jk right now. i love my JL as both a daily driver and an off road hero. Features are just better .One of the big ones is the soft top. Granted window storage is a problem. But that will work it's self out. A sport s with a few upgrades can feel like a much higher end vehicle. Lol. But then I am coming from a T J.

if you are really set on making a good deal on for a JK i would wait a bit i was talking to my dealer buddy and He was telling me how none of their JK inventory was moving but they would have to wait until around the end of the year to slash the prices because they have to wait for jeep to give them the okay. That doesn't mean you can't make a good deal for one now but as those jk sit in inventory and cost them more the price will drop. The JL s are crushing sales numbers however so it's hard to find a good deal on them.

good luck

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
We regret not buying a JK years ago but the JL has so many improvements that it won out when we were considering just that, JK or JL. No regrets on the JL. We're loving it! :jk:

BluRubicon

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Ocean Blue ord’d 5/21, Enclave, Harley Ultra Glide
Vehicle Showcase
I had the dealer offer us a loaded brand new 17JK Rubicon for $12K under invoice. It was black. They'd had if for nearly a year - couldn't figure that out??

It was very tempting. But, The color for me was a major factor. The 8 speed and electronics was the kicker.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
No regrets. No comparison. I'm a huge 2 door fan and I would have loved to own one, because the extra 2 doors look funny, but I sure love the room and the ride. JK's were awesome but no where near a JL.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I agree with a lot of sentiment in the thread so far. I started shopping for a Jeep in around October last year (was unaware of the model upgrade coming) and actually started looking at used jeeps. anything worth a hoot was at least $20k, and my reasoning was if I'm spending $20K on a used Jeep - I would be better off getting a lower-end new Sport (JK) for $25K.

THEN when I started researching new Jeeps - I saw the JL. gave it a good look, so the large number of mechanical and cosmetic improvements, and decided I was going with the JL even though it's "first-year" and bound to have a couple woes. From there my desired features drove me to a Rubicon, and I don't regret the decision at all. I spent $45k out the door (cloth seats, LED pkg, tow group, couple other small options) and consider it one of my better vehicle purchases.

huge jump from $25K to $45K - but really it depends on how much you want to use it and for what. the JKs, from what I hear, are fine, solid vehicles and until the JL came out were the best thing out there. I imagine some dealers will be looking to move that inventory; my dealer buddy says he can't keep a JL on the lot but JKs aren't moving so I bet you could find a deal. If price is a huge concern, I'd look for someone a year or two into a JK and moving to a JL and grab that JK - you'd get a smashing deal.

but I do not regret the JL purchase - not a single second. not even when she tells me to buy a new bumper and winch for her - she likes pretty things.

Thermodynamicles

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I drove a JLU and JKU Sahara along with a JK Rubicon and chose the JLU Sahara. Not regretting it a bit. Really liked the changes on the JLs and about the only thing that's a minus is waiting for the aftermarket parts, but I expected it would be awhile. FWIW this is my first Jeep, and I'm loving every minute of it.

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
I am new, haven't even got my JL yet... never owned a Jeep Wrangler before (Daughter had a Grand Cherokee) - are people actually regretting anything on the JL? Aside from price?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Not at all. I've always wanted a Jeep, but never seriously considered one until I saw the JL reviewed on Jalopnik at the LA auto show. I'd agree the 45-50k price tag is SUV-range and certainly on the high side for a giant Lego set, but gauging from all I read on countless reviews, I liked the significant improvements; i.e. the curvature of the windshield, steady shifter, the weight of the doors, etc. I compared the JK vs. JL at the dealership & noticed the differences, both obvious and subtle. I'm with BluRubicon when he mentions the color being a factor. The reviews, blogposts, etc. all featured the Rubicon in Firecracker Red and it was striking to me. I'm a sports car guy, but I had to have a JL now, or never. Over time the JL will have improvements, but I'm happy with my JL. Zero regrets, and I don't knock JK owners, either. It was seeing you cruising along, tops down & all, that increased my interest. Waves for all.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
No regrets here. There were a few tempting JKUs on the lot from the special editions but the improved Fuel Economy estimates, the nicer interior, and the 8 speed transmission drove me towards the JL. 2 doors weren't an option for me as wrestling a 70 lb dog into the back seat of a 2 door vs letting him jump into the back of a 4 door is a lot better on my bad back.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
For those who never owned a Wrangler unlimited before, do you regret not buying a 2018 JK instead of JL?

I see local dealers here with 2018 JK Sahara’s for 34-35k which is pretty enticing when compared to low end JL Sport.
I have had wranglers since 97, 2dr and 4dr (I know not a lot of Jeep experience compared to some). My wife never really like driving any of them until the JL, she drove it so much we ended up buying her a Grand Cherokee (she likes the bells and whistles). I would have to say the JLU is the best one we have owned, I haven’t had any issues with mine (knock on wood) and now that the boys are older we really enjoy getting out for family rides. The 8spd transmission is much smoother on road and the manual option is great for off road. I don’t regret it at all in fact I will hang on to this one for a few years and pass it down to my son - maybe at that time get a JT if I can wait that long.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's a really tough call. I've owned both now, and if I had it to do over again today it would be a tough call.

The JK is roomier, more comfortable, less expensive, does everything offroad a JL will do, and already has a zillion aftermarket parts available.

The JL is more fuel efficient hands down, has better gearing, has a backup camera, and has a nicer soft top design if you can get your hands on one.

I could just about flip a coin and be happy either way.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
If I’m buying a new vehicle, unless other factors are involved, it’s going to be new. Although Jeeps age well, a jk is a ten year old vehicle to me. If I were buying used it wouldn’t matter, but on a new vehicle give me the most recent one.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If you can get a screaming deal on a new JKU it might be worth driving for 2-3 years and it should hold its value well. Then purchase a JLU in 2-3 years when special editions might be available and other options like LED headlights on Sport. Hopefully most of the bugs will be worked out by then also.
Sponsored