Sponsored

Any diesel precautions to take with temps falling below freezing in Las Vegas?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Las Vegas weather forecast for this weekend is showing temps below freezing in the night.

A few questions for the group:

1. Do I need to add any fuel additive or would I be OK as I would not be driving in the night anyway? When I drive, it will be in the morning and will be above freezing.
2. Do all states/cities switch to winterized diesel? I searched - how do I find out if the fuel in winter in Las Vegas would be winterized version or is it the same year round?
3. Before the paraffin solidifies in the fuel at around 10F , below 32F it can cause fuel to become cloudy. Does it thaw back to normal by itself once temps rise above freezing or is it irreversible?

Thanks in advance!

Jeep Wrangler JL Any diesel precautions to take with temps falling below freezing in Las Vegas? 1640723846584
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Mine ran fine without issue in ~-10 degrees F (according to my app). I didn't add anything. I did let it warm up first. This was in Utah. I can't answer your questions but only can offer my observations that over 800 miles (round trip, many miles below freezing), I had no apparent issue and that was nearly a year ago at this point.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Mine ran fine without issue in ~-10 degrees F (according to my app). I didn't add anything. I did let it warm up first. This was in Utah. I can't answer your questions but only can offer my observations that over 800 miles (round trip, many miles below freezing), I had no apparent issue and that was nearly a year ago at this point.
Awesome, thanks.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Awesome, thanks.
You're welcome. Curious if you checked to see what the manual says? At the time I didn't even think of it... I just filled it up and went along.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
You're welcome. Curious if you checked to see what the manual says? At the time I didn't even think of it... I just filled it up and went along.
The manual says this about cold temps, but I guess it must not be for barely freezing temps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any diesel precautions to take with temps falling below freezing in Las Vegas? 1640728849150

Jeep Wrangler JL Any diesel precautions to take with temps falling below freezing in Las Vegas? 1640729281682

Jeep Wrangler JL Any diesel precautions to take with temps falling below freezing in Las Vegas? 1640729410577

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Your Vegas JL is built the exact same as the JL sold up here in the Great White North. You're good.
Yes, it is built the same. My concern was related to fuel. We may not have the same winterized diesel as in the cold places I think.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation