Sponsored

Any chance of V8 for JL Wrangler?

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I know the sticky info thread doesn't say anything about a V8 or Hemi but any chance at all we could see it in the JL Wrangler?? I'd much rather the next gen Wrangler get a larger engine rather than a smaller turbo one.
Sponsored

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Would I love to see it happen? YES!
Do I think it'll happen? No :(

The fact that they're introducing a turbo 4 and care so much about the weight of the JL -- all for CAFE purposes, makes me think a 8 cylinder is impossible. Shame though since the longer hood probably means it would fit unlike in the JK.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
A V8 might be more of a badge of honor at this point than anything else. 6 and 4 cylinder engines can be engineered to be real powerful these days, with turbo engines hitting V8 torque levels, while giving you better gas mileage. So you can see why a V8 is a tough sell these days and why so many companies are dropping them. Did you see the JL Wrangler product map posted in the other thread? No mention at all of anything bigger than the V6. If they planned on a V8 it would have been in there since all the other engines were noted.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Jeepers have been pressing for a V8 or diesel wrangler in the US for years and years but to no avail. Why? I'm guessing because they don't like money :P

At least there's some aftermarket options if you really want a V8 engine swap. Sounds like that'll be the only option with the JL too. A diesel JL has been rumored for the US but a factory V8 Wrangler is probably never going to happen.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
5 years ago Jeep CEO Michael Manley got himself one of the AEV Hemi V8 Wranglers for "executive evaluation" ... I'd guess he loved it like everyone else but it didn't make it past the bean counters.

Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

A V8 might be more of a badge of honor at this point than anything else. 6 and 4 cylinder engines can be engineered to be real powerful these days, with turbo engines hitting V8 torque levels, while giving you better gas mileage. So you can see why a V8 is a tough sell these days and why so many companies are dropping them. Did you see the JL Wrangler product map posted in the other thread? No mention at all of anything bigger than the V6. If they planned on a V8 it would have been in there since all the other engines were noted.
Not just a badge of honor. Power and efficiency can be engineered into 6 and 4 cylinder (even turbo) engines. But they can never match the natural sound and character of a V8. Some manufacturers have tried to mimic these characteristics with digital sound in the cabin or tuning exhausts a certain way but they've always come up short and it's just not the same.

94grt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon
With the Wrangler or any shorter wheelbase vehicle there is such a thing as too much power. But you can never have too much torque.

Now im not saying it wouldn't be fun to take on the Raptor but a lot more will have to be done than shoving a V8 engine in it. Otherwise an I-6 diesel would be a much better investment.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
I think with the popularity of the bigger Unlimited models, people have forgotten that original idea of the Jeep as a compact compact off road rugged car. Over time people seem to be wanting bigger and more powerful Jeeps.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
I think with the popularity of the bigger Unlimited models, people have forgotten that original idea of the Jeep as a compact compact off road rugged car. Over time people seem to be wanting bigger and more powerful Jeeps.
It's the crowd that wants a Hummer Wrangler basically. IMO save the V8 for the JL pickup to compete with the Raptor. I agree with calls for a V6 diesel over the V8. Much more useful application on trails.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I simply don't think Jeep will put a V8 in it as they will be offering a pickup model and will not want to eat into Ram sales.

Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I would love to see one. Judging by the fact that it hasn't been confirmed to not be an possibly, or confirmed it as an option, I'm still hopeful.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

The fact that there's a new turbo 4 virtually guarantees there won't be a V8 option i think... I think the only hope left for one would be in the pickup version.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
I honestly do not see the point. Does the Wrangler really suffer from lack of power? Do offroaders really need that much HP? Torque is king with this vehicle and it seems like the kind of thing that would appeal to those that buy it to be stoplight warriors while running their Wranglers to the local mall.

IMO if you want a sports car, get one. If you want a 4x4 get one. Trying to be a jack of all trades will get you a mediocre master of none that does neither thing really well and you will have paid through the nose for it, as evidenced by the price tag of aftermarket V8 conversions.