First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, it gets great reviews when its new. But how is it going to fare in 10 years after it has seen 10 brutal winters of 30 below and summers of 100 above. Pretty common temps in ND. Not to mention the battery after its been through water crossings and had the entire weight of the vehicle dropped on it a few times offroad. I just don't expect its going to hold up well. If that holds true, resale will be terrible unless the after market comes up with an eTorque delete kit by then.
If i beat the crap out of my Jeeps I would lease.
Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I have heard about clutch problems with the first built JL's, but have also read that these problems have been addressed by Jeep on the 2021 models, this is only from what I have read on forums. I think it was a very low number as far a problems with the clutch and just about everything I have read, or watched on YouTube is favorable for the 6 spd. manual. I plan to get the manual in my new 2022 Willys, I just want the sport of shifting as street cruising will be what I will be doing the most of. Why do I want a Willys, because it's the best bang-for-the-buck, and I like the looks of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
Thanks guys, some good info here. I found it interseting the Australian Jeeps didn't have eToerque. I wonder if that has anything to do with reliablity concerns in the remote areas of the outback.

RidgewayJeeper - I love that little town. It would be fun to meet you out there some time. I see your a Realtor. I am a Residential Appraiser. I'm sure we could have some interesting conversations. I wonder if I could make that trip a business write off? LOL. (I actually wouldn't. I'm pretty conservative and cautious about what I write off. Its not worth the risk of dealing with the IRS.)

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I have a first build 18 Jl with the 6speed. Zero issues with the clutch. I would highly recommend it too. I only reason I went manual is because I didn’t want e-torque or the turbo. I have zero regrets buying my Jeep with the 6spd. The plus is my wife loves to drive the Jeep as much as me! I also do plan of switching to a center force clutch when the stocker goes out.

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys really have me rethinking the manual now. You know for the price of the auto with eTorque, I could get the Recon package.

... Dang the website won't allow that. It changes it back to auto and etroque. Is the Recon package not available with a manual? The 6speed with 4.56 gears and a manual sound like a good combo.

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nevermind - I did a little more reading from the release news of the Xtreme Recon. They are planning 4.88 gears with the manual for late 2021 to give them a 100:1 crawl ratio. Which would be awesome. So it should be coming soon.

I might have to do more research on that manual transmission If the Jeep fix was really a reliable fix and not just a detune maybe the manual is a good option.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 has no ESS & no eTorque ;)
Nice. I actually didn't know that. I'll just do that.

(Heading off to Jeep.com... ... returning from jeep.com build site.)

Nevermind. That's about $35000 more than my previous builds.

LOL Seriously, that would be awesome, but we all know how many of us will actually get that option.

tstaylor

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep JL
I ordered the Willys and thought I was getting the etorque because that's all I could build on Jeep.com but when the dealer built the jeep in their system the default engine was the ESS. I didn't pay much attention to the engine on the build sheet because I was positive it would be the etorque. I was very surprised when I saw the sticker say I have the ESS in it. Apparently the dealer has more options. Don't waist your time with the sales person because they will only look up what's on Jeep.com. You need to talk to the guy/gal that is actually putting in/building the order.

I'm more nervous now because I don't understand why the site only gives you one option so is there a reason I shouldn't have the ESS with the automatic. Does the transmission not play nice with ESS...so many questions but no one seems to know why. I have a 21 Jeep Willys 3.6L V6 ESS with an automatic transmission.

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the Willys and thought I was getting the etorque because that's all I could build on Jeep.com but when the dealer built the jeep in their system the default engine was the ESS. I didn't pay much attention to the engine on the build sheet because I was positive it would be the etorque. I was very surprised when I saw the sticker say I have the ESS in it. Apparently the dealer has more options. Don't waist your time with the sales person because they will only look up what's on Jeep.com. You need to talk to the guy/gal that is actually putting in/building the order.

I'm more nervous now because I don't understand why the site only gives you one option so is there a reason I shouldn't have the ESS with the automatic. Does the transmission not play nice with ESS...so many questions but no one seems to know why. I have a 21 Jeep Willys 3.6L V6 ESS with an automatic transmission.
That is interesting. I just checked the site and found the same as you. The Standard Sport can be built online with ESS, but the Willy's requires eTorque. So its interesting that you got ESS. I suppose the dealer checked that option because its a cheaper system than eTorque. So more profit for them. But interesting that the dealer has options not available online.

To answer your questions. There is no reason to not have ESS with the auto. I would actually prefer that option. Its a simpler system less likely to incur expensive repairs down the road. The only thing ESS (Electric Start Stop) does, is it turns your motor off at stop lights then turns it back on when you let off the brake. It has nothing to do with your transmission. The downside to ESS is that it uses a small motorcyle battery buried behind the front fender as an auxilary battery. So changing that little battery can be a pain, But there are aftermarket options available to use 2 full size batteries under the hood or just delete the whole system.

On the otherhand, eTorque does the similar task of shutting off your jeep at a stoplight, but it is a complex system that consist of an electric motor/generator, Lithium battery and separate cooling system to keep the battery cool.

So, for example, in the event of starting from a stop light, It basically uses the electric motor/generator to put the Jeep into motion before starting the engine. Because it takes a lot of energy to get the Jeep moving via electric motor, the motorcycle battery in the ESS doesn't work, so the eTorques requires a much bigger battery. The eTorque battery is a 48 volt (yes 48 volt) Litium Ion unit that is mounted under the jeep between the frame rails. The cost of the battery is around $2000. So its very expensive if it gets damaged by water or rocks that are sure to happen at some time if you ever go offroad.

In operation, the The eTorque does go beyond the ESS in that it not only starts the initial motion of the Jeep at take off, but the motor/generator is also used to help smooth out shifts on the transmission. Or so they say. I've never noticed that the 8 speed needs any help. Its a fantastic transmission without tying it to an expensive and complex electric hybird system.

The short answer is, dont worry. You got the more durable system. The eTorque is an unnecessarily complex system that offers no real beneft other than appeasing a certain political mindset.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Talking to a dealer about ordering a new auto JLUR with the six. Dont want eTorque or SS but theyre telling me if we want an auto Rubicon with a six it will have SS regardless of which six. Which brings me to wondering why the build site shows two different sixes. One says eTorque and the other says SS. Neither says both. But he’s telling us that all sixes have the SS. OK then I dont want the etorque - nope in a Rubicon the six will be both. Confused…

Edit: Just noticed the post above. This explains the two different sixes. FINALLY someone explains this. Thank you.
So can the ESS be turned off in the settings? Someone mentioned you can but every time at startup or if you leave the seatbelt unbuckled?
Sponsored