Sponsored

Any chance 2022 JLUR might be available in V6 auto WITHOUT eTorque

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
So with the chip shortage, is there any chance the 2022 JLUR might be available in V6 auto WITHOUT eTorque?

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a 2018 or 2019 Unlimited Rubicon with the V6 and auto this spring. Then used prices went through the roof. Now I'm wondering if there is any chance we might see a return of the Pentastar with an auto transmission and NO eTorque. I'd rather not have ESS either, but since they never offered a JL without ESS or eTorque I won't hold my breath. But I really have no interest in the extra complication and weight of etorque. I'll buy used before I purchase an eTorque system.
Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
As you know the V6 without eTorque is only available with the 6 spd. manual transmission. I personally don't care for the eTorque engines it's just that much more electronic crap, two batteries, etc. that in the long run will just cost me many more dollars to keep my vehicles going. When looking at the two V6 engines offered in the Jeep the fuel differences are so little difference and the cost to the customer is very expensive. The difference between the V6 with automatic vs. the V6 with the manual transmission is right at $3700. I will order my new 2022 with the 6 spd. manual transmission, one because I want a 6 spd. and two, because I will keep my Jeep for many years and hopefully I should save some money not having to deal with eTorque and Turbo charged engines. Time is running out on the fuel injected engines of today and it won't be long before you will be paying for something you can probably do without.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say chances are zero, or very close to it.

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As you know the V6 without eTorque is only available with the 6 spd. manual transmission. I personally don't care for the eTorque engines it's just that much more electronic crap, two batteries, etc. that in the long run will just cost me many more dollars to keep my vehicles going. When looking at the two V6 engines offered in the Jeep the fuel differences are so little difference and the cost to the customer is very expensive. The difference between the V6 with automatic vs. the V6 with the manual transmission is right at $3700. I will order my new 2022 with the 6 spd. manual transmission, one because I want a 6 spd. and two, because I will keep my Jeep for many years and hopefully I should save some money not having to deal with eTorque and Turbo charged engines. Time is running out on the fuel injected engines of today and it won't be long before you will be paying for something you can probably do without.
That is exactly where I am coming from. In the past I always got manual transmissions. I have a 2005 LJ with manual I will keep forever. But for the JL I was really liking the new 8 speed auto. Its very smooth and my wife and I both have occasional knee issues. But the more frustrating thing is I have not heard a single good thing about the new manual. Most of what I heard is the issues with the clutch plates and that they cause fires. So instead of fixing the problem, Jeep detuned the v6 to limit the amount of torque going through the manual. So at that point, I decided to go with the auto. Although I have still considered manual JKs. Then the whole package is much simpler. But not nealy as nice.

Another option that I have considered is just getting a Sport. A stripped down sport saves me about $10,000. I could use that money to put in all the Rubicon goodies and really build it from the ground up. But I'd rather just have a Rubicon or Recon from the start.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Yes, you can order a 3.6 with NON e-torque. The wedsite just doesn't show it. Talk to dealer where you want to place your order and they will configure with out it.

Edit: sorry I see you asked about the MY 22

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you can order a 3.6 with NON e-torque. The wedsite just doesn't show it. Talk to dealer where you want to place your order and they will configure with out it.

Edit: sorry I see you asked about the MY 22
Could you do that on a Rubicon in MY 2021?

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it gets great reviews when its new. But how is it going to fare in 10 years after it has seen 10 brutal winters of 30 below and summers of 100 above. Pretty common temps in ND. Not to mention the battery after its been through water crossings and had the entire weight of the vehicle dropped on it a few times offroad. I just don't expect its going to hold up well. If that holds true, resale will be terrible unless the after market comes up with an eTorque delete kit by then.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I ordered a Sport so can't honestly answer that but I see no reason why not.
You cannot build on line just a 8 Speed for some reason??? Dealer had no issues ordering non e-torque and it's $1700 cheaper.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I ordered a Sport so can't honestly answer that but I see no reason why not.
You cannot build on line just a 8 Speed for some reason??? Dealer had no issues ordering non e-torque and it's $1700 cheaper.
I thought it was only the manuals with non etorque engines?

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
That is exactly where I am coming from. In the past I always got manual transmissions. I have a 2005 LJ with manual I will keep forever. But for the JL I was really liking the new 8 speed auto. Its very smooth and my wife and I both have occasional knee issues. But the more frustrating thing is I have not heard a single good thing about the new manual. Most of what I heard is the issues with the clutch plates and that they cause fires. So instead of fixing the problem, Jeep detuned the v6 to limit the amount of torque going through the manual. So at that point, I decided to go with the auto. Although I have still considered manual JKs. Then the whole package is much simpler. But not nealy as nice.

Another option that I have considered is just getting a Sport. A stripped down sport saves me about $10,000. I could use that money to put in all the Rubicon goodies and really build it from the ground up. But I'd rather just have a Rubicon or Recon from the start.
Don't believe all the hype you read. We ordered a V6 manual 2021 Rubicon this spring. It is a great set up. You do want the rubi for the 4.10 gearing, most complaints are from trim levels with the 3.45 gearing. That isn't a very good match. Clutch feels fine, trans shifts with ease, WAY more fun to drive than an auto, no matter how "good" everybody says it is. No power issues, they didn't just flat steal the power, that isn't how the "fix" worked. Super pleased with the non e-torque manual V6. The stupid ESS adds a battery and some unnecessary complexity but nothing like e-torque. Soon e-torque will be on everything, it isn't going away. Battery power is all the rage currently. Thank goodness there was still a way to avoid it when we ordered. I see no reason not to get the manual, it is way better than in the TJ or JK despite a few with issues.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
I’ll bet ESS is going away soon, and all auto trans V6 and I4 JLs will be eTorque. Unlike ESS, which owners tolerate (at best), eTorque owners actually like the system. ESS was an under-developed stopgap.

Do keep in mind that it comes with an 84k warranty for the eTorque bits, too.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Not available on the Rubicon, when I ordered my JLUR 2.0 in May it had just become available to get the non etorque v6 with auto trans, but it wasnt available on Rubicon, im sure its the same still

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
My 2021 JLUR is V6, Auto, No etorque.... all the Australian delivered JL and JT are V6 with no e-torque and the 8 speed auto only, so yep it can be done.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
My 2021 JLUR is V6, Auto, No etorque.... all the Australian delivered JL and JT are V6 with no e-torque and the 8 speed auto only, so yep it can be done.
Not available to us here in the states, unless something changes.
Sponsored