Sponsored

Any chance 2022 JLUR might be available in V6 auto WITHOUT eTorque

SleeplessJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Dealers can order without the eTorque system, that’s exactly what I was going to do before I decided to go for the EcoDiesel.

The eTorque system is actually not that terrible. It’s technically a better start/stop system. The only reason I specifically didn’t want it is because I wanted to run the Magnusson supercharger and it’s not possible with that setup.
Sponsored

SleeplessJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel
So can the ESS be turned off in the settings? Someone mentioned you can but every time at startup or if you leave the seatbelt unbuckled?
There is a button on the dash to disable it, but it will reset when the vehicle is shut off. Get a Tazer JL module and you can set it to remember the previous state between startups to keep it disabled (plus lots of other fun features).

You can also do this: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

or, apparently you can just unplug your hood sensor and it will disable ESS as well.

Last edited:

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
There is a button on the dash to disable it, but it will reset when the vehicle is shut off. Get a Tazer JL module and you can set it to remember the previous state between startups to keep it disabled (plus lots of other fun features).
If it’s anything like the Hellcats (which I’m sure it is, same parent company) a Tazer would mean unlocking the PCM which would trip a permanent code and void the warranty. Prob not worth it to me personally.
If dealers have the ability to order a non ESS/eTorque V-6 then that’s the plan. I want nothing to do with either if possible.

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
If dealers have the ability to order a non ESS/eTorque V-6 then that’s the plan. I want nothing to do with either if possible.
Amen. Wish I could get without either too. I sometimes consider getting a used JK just to avoid the extra complication of it all.

Let us know if you are able to do that. At least with the ESS there are some aftermarket options to delete ESS.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
The cost of the battery is around $2000. So its very expensive if it gets damaged by water or rocks that are sure to happen at some time if you ever go offroad.
Still waiting for a single report of someone damaging eTorque on the rocks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
Still waiting for a single report of someone damaging eTorque on the rocks.
It does have a skidplate and is well protected, but the shock of the impact will take its toll. Even if its not immediate. We'll know in 10 years. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the eTorque system is trouble free for 20+ years like the 4.0 in the TJ had been. But I wouldn't count on it. Resale values will drop when eTorque systems exhibit problems. Its just a risk I'm not willing to take with my $50k.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Lol… fear of the big bad e torque. So glad I don't have to deal with the crap ass motorcycle batteries and all the shitshow shenanigan failures people have with that crap. Who the hell would keep a JL 10+ years anyway. They are fiats, not the TJs of yesteryear.

tstaylor

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep JL
Talking to a dealer about ordering a new auto JLUR with the six. Dont want eTorque or SS but theyre telling me if we want an auto Rubicon with a six it will have SS regardless of which six. Which brings me to wondering why the build site shows two different sixes. One says eTorque and the other says SS. Neither says both. But he’s telling us that all sixes have the SS. OK then I dont want the etorque - nope in a Rubicon the six will be both. Confused…

Edit: Just noticed the post above. This explains the two different sixes. FINALLY someone explains this. Thank you.
So can the ESS be turned off in the settings? Someone mentioned you can but every time at startup or if you leave the seatbelt unbuckled?
Yes you can shut it off at startup but I haven't had mine come on yet.?.?. There's a message on the radio display telling me the air or heat is on so it's not available at this time. I've only had it for five days so still playing around with it.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Yes you can shut it off at startup but I haven't had mine come on yet.?.?. There's a message on the radio display telling me the air or heat is on so it's not available at this time. I've only had it for five days so still playing around with it.
I know now that you can shut it off but you have to shut it off every run cycle. I have no need for it at all and will see about ordering the 3.6 w/o SS or eTorque at all.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That is interesting. I just checked the site and found the same as you. The Standard Sport can be built online with ESS, but the Willy's requires eTorque. So its interesting that you got ESS. I suppose the dealer checked that option because its a cheaper system than eTorque. So more profit for them. But interesting that the dealer has options not available online.

To answer your questions. There is no reason to not have ESS with the auto. I would actually prefer that option. Its a simpler system less likely to incur expensive repairs down the road. The only thing ESS (Electric Start Stop) does, is it turns your motor off at stop lights then turns it back on when you let off the brake. It has nothing to do with your transmission. The downside to ESS is that it uses a small motorcyle battery buried behind the front fender as an auxilary battery. So changing that little battery can be a pain, But there are aftermarket options available to use 2 full size batteries under the hood or just delete the whole system.

On the otherhand, eTorque does the similar task of shutting off your jeep at a stoplight, but it is a complex system that consist of an electric motor/generator, Lithium battery and separate cooling system to keep the battery cool.

So, for example, in the event of starting from a stop light, It basically uses the electric motor/generator to put the Jeep into motion before starting the engine. Because it takes a lot of energy to get the Jeep moving via electric motor, the motorcycle battery in the ESS doesn't work, so the eTorques requires a much bigger battery. The eTorque battery is a 48 volt (yes 48 volt) Litium Ion unit that is mounted under the jeep between the frame rails. The cost of the battery is around $2000. So its very expensive if it gets damaged by water or rocks that are sure to happen at some time if you ever go offroad.

In operation, the The eTorque does go beyond the ESS in that it not only starts the initial motion of the Jeep at take off, but the motor/generator is also used to help smooth out shifts on the transmission. Or so they say. I've never noticed that the 8 speed needs any help. Its a fantastic transmission without tying it to an expensive and complex electric hybird system.

The short answer is, dont worry. You got the more durable system. The eTorque is an unnecessarily complex system that offers no real beneft other than appeasing a certain political mindset.
This exactly.

And I'll add that I have a pretty good relationship with my techs at the dealer I go to, and they told me they see the eTorque MGU ($1,400 item) go bad most often when they're just out of warranty. Imagine that.

So when you look at the coolant lines under the vehicle that have been known to leak, the MGU that's prone to fail out of warranty, the 48V battery and wiring, etc... the obvious question is WHY? Why would anybody want that garbage and expense? It does nothing except get the vehicle moving from 0 MPH and "smooth out shifts" on a transmission that's already world-class. eTorque is a complete waste of time and money. It was a political move to say, "Hey, look at what we're doing over here at FCA!". It benefits the customer in no way whatsoever.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Weird how eTorque owners actually like the system.

ESS owners do not like ESS, and some apparently feel the need to try and tear down eTorque.

Personally, I’d prefer neither system. But if I have to choose between a largely well-received eTorque rig or ESS, that’s an easy choice for me.
Sponsored