Any benefits of just shocks change?

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have a 2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 door and have access to a set of Rubicon shocks.
I can’t afford a lift or a complete suspension swap with Rubicon right now. Would it be worthwhile doing just a Rubicon shock swap? What are the benefits of switching over to the Rubicon shocks?
Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Would you be able to get a set of rubi springs also? You're not really going to gain much imo. They're 1.5in longer than the sport shocks, but that's about it to me. Ride is a little less floaty.

I got my rubi take off parts(springs and shocks) for $150 for it all. Maybe wait around for a good deal to come up?

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I did a spacer lift which is okay for now and allowed me to fit 35s. I do have some regret because I'm going to have to do it all over again. If I could go back, I would do a proper spring lift the first time. Why do the job twice?

Don't waste your time or money. Save up for a proper lift.

OP
OP

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you be able to get a set of rubi springs also? You're not really going to gain much imo. They're 1.5in longer than the sport shocks, but that's about it to me. Ride is a little less floaty.

I got my rubi take off parts(springs and shocks) for $150 for it all. Maybe wait around for a good deal to come up?

OP
OP

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was at the dealership today and asked for a price to do a Rubicon suspension swap and I was quoted 10 hours labour. I just bought Rubicon wheels and tires and can’t afford that much presently. I figured it shouldn’t cost too much in labour to change the shocks only. I just don’t know if there is much benefit to changing just the shocks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a spacer lift which is okay for now and allowed me to fit 35s. I do have some regret because I'm going to have to do it all over again. If I could go back, I would do a proper spring lift the first time. Why do the job twice?

Don't waste your time or money. Save up for a proper lift.
I don’t expect any increase in height by replacing my shocks with Rubicon shocks and I may never get my Jeep lifted but I am wondering if there are any benefits to just changing the shocks.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was at the dealership today and asked for a price to do a Rubicon suspension swap and I was quoted 10 hours labour. I just bought Rubicon wheels and tires and can’t afford that much presently. I figured it shouldn’t cost too much in labour to change the shocks only. I just don’t know if there is much benefit to changing just the shocks.
You will benefit from it more if you change both. You can do it yourself, it’s not that difficult, just please don’t pay someone 10 hours labor for it. That dealership is trying to take advantage of you. It’s a couple hours tops. If you want to drive it down here, we’ll get them in......:)

Last edited:

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
10 hour labor - lol, it does not take more then 2 on a lift.

Shocks and springs from Rubicon go for 150, get full set. Or atleast get a set from Sahara (1" taller).
Problem with R shocks on sport suspension, to work at optimal stroke length range you need longer springs.
S springs will ware them out and they may feel bouncy/ stiff.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will benefit from it more if you change both. You can do it yourself, it’s not that difficult, just please don’t pay someone 10 hours labor for it. That dealership is trying to take advantage of you. It’s a couple hours tops.
I think that you are right about the dealership gouging me on the price. I will check around for a shop that might be more reasonable. I can’t do it myself even if I was able to. I live in a condo that does not allow mechanical work being done on site. Besides, my skill level ends at checking the oil. 😕

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think that you are right about the dealership gouging me on the price. I will check around for a shop that might be more reasonable. I can’t do it myself even if I was able to. I live in a condo that does not allow mechanical work being done on site. Besides, my skill level ends at checking the oil. 😕
Yeah...... I wouldn’t waste your money to just do shocks, if you have to pay then you should do it right. Maybe you have a mechanically inclined friend, the two of you and a YouTube video could do it in a Walmart parking lot. Or if you have a vacation to Florida planned, stop in , I’ll do it for you for free.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I don’t expect any increase in height by replacing my shocks with Rubicon shocks and I may never get my Jeep lifted but I am wondering if there are any benefits to just changing the shocks.
I don't know for a fact but my guess would be no, you won't get any substantial benefit. The Rubicon suspension is advertised as heavy-duty as opposed to standard-duty but I wouldn't be surprised to learn the Rubicon shocks are just a bit longer to better match the longer Rubicon springs. If you really want an improved ride without a lift, you should look at wider diameter aftermarket shocks.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
To be entirely honest not enough to warrant changing to rubi shocks without rubi springs. I’ve seen written here that they’re dampened different, but the less floating feeling could also just be in combination with the rubi springs and shock package.

Also, 10 hours seems outrageously long for what my dad and I did in 3 hours swapping to rubi springs and shocks and mopar LCAs.

OP
OP

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah...... I wouldn’t waste your money to just do shocks, if you have to pay then you should do it right. Maybe you have a mechanically inclined friend, the two of you and a YouTube video could do it in a Walmart parking lot. Or if you have a vacation to Florida planned, stop in , I’ll do it for you for free.
I can’t come out to Florida but that sure is nice of you to make such an offer. Thanks! :)
Sponsored