Sponsored

Any benefit to connecting Bluetooth if using Carplay?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yea
Yeah you are correct. I just call em all carplay since
I did know this but I hadn't realized that it was such a big deal. The cord coming out of my head unit is tagged "Carplay" and does both wired carplay and android auto. I've just been calling the whole thing carplay since I'm lazy and it's easier.
Functionally, they're basically the same, but if you're troubleshooting or asking questions about their functionality, then it definitely makes a difference.
Sponsored

Mendacity

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Functionally, they're basically the same, but if you're troubleshooting or asking questions about their functionality, then it definitely makes a difference.
Yeah I get it. My problem is that with Bluetooth my new set up sounds awesome (and loud). But when I plug in and use the android audio (through the carplay cord) the audio volume is being reduced by probably 20-30%. I may have found a possible way to fix this but was wondering if anyone else has experienced/fixed the same issue.
I can turn on BT audio and play anything at 100% volume but when I literally plug my phone in and android auto connects (the same song where it paused) the volume drops a lot.
So I'm hoping to try out some developer options tonight on my phone that may be messing with output. One is disable USB audio routing and the other is disable absolute volume.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yeah I get it. My problem is that with Bluetooth my new set up sounds awesome (and loud). But when I plug in and use the android audio (through the carplay cord) the audio volume is being reduced by probably 20-30%. I may have found a possible way to fix this but was wondering if anyone else has experienced/fixed the same issue.
I can turn on BT audio and play anything at 100% volume but when I literally plug my phone in and android auto connects (the same song where it paused) the volume drops a lot.
So I'm hoping to try out some developer options tonight on my phone that may be messing with output. One is disable USB audio routing and the other is disable absolute volume.
Have you tested different USB cords? If you're not already using it, you should try the one that came with your phone, or another high-end one, vs the cheapies off Amazon. Believe it or not (especially with USB-C) it can really make a difference, esp. for audio.

Mendacity

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Have you tested different USB cords? If you're not already using it, you should try the one that came with your phone, or another high-end one, vs the cheapies off Amazon. Believe it or not (especially with USB-C) it can really make a difference, esp. for audio.
I have not tried a different cord. Probably the only cords I have are from amazon. When my wife had used that carplay head cord with her apple she noticed the sound was reduced as well. She has official lightning cords from apple. After messing with a few system volume settings last night her volume seemed to increase. So much so in fact that the audio got distorted at high volume which doesnt happen over BT wireless or head unit audio. So I will have to tinker with that and find a happy medium for increase vs clarity.
We had been messing with settings and updating apps for like 3 hours just tinkering trying to get it right. Insane Audio has finally made arrangements to call me for support on Thursday if I don't figure it out by then.

Mendacity

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
So after doing a bunch of digging around online and scheduling a call from engineering from Insane Audio I figured it out. The JL3001 head unit comes factory defaulted to amplifier off which means my remote wire which I tied into my preamp remote wasn't functioning. So when I was using BT audio the preamp would see the signal and turn the amps on. When I was using the head or android/carplay the remote wasn't kicking the amps on. I don't understand why the preamp didn't see the sound and turn the remote signal on at the same time....but turning amplifier on in canbus settings was the problem.
Insane Audio said they will probably move that setting into their car settings app so it is not hidden. Sound is now great all around.

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Have the wireless adapters for Carplay/Android Auto been fixed to work as a valid solution now? I know early on they were a hit or miss.

Mendacity

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Have the wireless adapters for Carplay/Android Auto been fixed to work as a valid solution now? I know early on they were a hit or miss.
Honestly the Insane Audio JL3001 that I have uses a USB A and we just run a cable out from there. Wife's apple connects wireless to carplay and mine uses cord. Both sound great now so we didn't need the dongle. That was going to be my fix if I didn't get the sound fixed. That or a grenade.
Sponsored