Sponsored

Any benefit to connecting Bluetooth if using Carplay?

dougiebros

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Good Morning from MI! Got a question for the techies out there in Jeep land...
About a week ago, I took delivery on my new Willys JLU. I plan to primarily use Carplay as my main phone connection (it's working awesome so far).
My question is: if this is the case, are there any advantages to connecting the phone via Bluetooth as well?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I don't see any advantages if you plan on strictly using a wired connection for CarPlay. I have the wireless CarPlay adapter, so Bluetooth is a necessity. Automatically connects when I start the Jeep. Sound quality is the same as with a wired connection.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
May be you can use phone A to show navigation on CarPlay and connect phone B to Bluetooth to play music?

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I initially connected mine via Bluetooth but I've since deleted it. I always plug in and use CarPlay. The ONLY time it was even remotely beneficial was when my wife and I were together and she was plugged in instead. Even then, usually I took the call off of Bluetooth and just used the phone itself so my whole family didn't have to listen to my conversation.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
May be you can use phone A to show navigation on CarPlay and connect phone B to Bluetooth to play music?
??
You can show navigation and play music simultaneously (on 1 phone)on CarPlay. Or are you talking about with 2 people in the Jeep?

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I have it set up this way. I use CarPlay, but also set up a bluetooth connection which is a nice backup. If I need to unplug my phone from the connection for some reason while I'm listening to Spotify, it will then connect via bluetooth and pick back up where I left off after it switches over.

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
Myself and others have experienced stuttering/skipping/static when playing music via CarPlay. There's a thread or two about it. Playing music via Bluetooth could be one benefit, although I don't know whether that is possible when the phone is plugged in for CarPlay (never tried it, I play a music library via small USB drive, or radio)

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
I don't see any advantages if you plan on strictly using a wired connection for CarPlay. I have the wireless CarPlay adapter, so Bluetooth is a necessity. Automatically connects when I start the Jeep. Sound quality is the same as with a wired connection.

Are you plugging your wireless CarPlay dongle into the media USB @ the dash... or the one in the console?

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Are you plugging your wireless CarPlay dongle into the media USB @ the dash... or the one in the console?
The dash. The one in the center console doesn’t work on my Jeep (and many others on this forum).

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I use android auto, I know this is not carplay, but it automatically turns on bluetooth when I plug in the cable. I assume it's necessary for calls but don't really know.

Mendacity

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I use android auto, I know this is not carplay, but it automatically turns on bluetooth when I plug in the cable. I assume it's necessary for calls but don't really know.
Android Auto IS carplay. I have sound problems with mine when I plug in to charge. I know I can turn off autoconnect but for some reason my audio gets severely dampened down when I use carplay. My audio over wireless Bluetooth sounds great. Anybody have the same problem and if so is there a fix?

OP
OP
dougiebros

dougiebros

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Since I've posted this, CarPlay seems a bit garbage...I had a couple instances where it just wouldn't work at all. Tried both USB-A ports and the USB-C port. Finally worked the next day (maybe it was tired from all the loud music).

I decided to use Bluetooth instead. A bit disappointing, but oh well. The level of awesomeness the Jeep provides more than makes up for it.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Android Auto IS carplay. I have sound problems with mine when I plug in to charge. I know I can turn off autoconnect but for some reason my audio gets severely dampened down when I use carplay. My audio over wireless Bluetooth sounds great. Anybody have the same problem and if so is there a fix?
To be clear, Android Auto =/= Carplay.

Android Auto is the in-car interface used on Android devices. It is not available on the iPhone.
Carplay is the in-car interface used on iOS devices (iPhones). It is not available on Android devices.

They are two completely different softwares.

Mendacity

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Yea

Android Auto is the in-car interface used on Android devices. It is not available on the iPhone.
Carplay is the in-car interface used on iOS devices (iPhones). It is not available on Android devices.

Yeah you are correct. I just call em all carplay since

I did know this but I hadn't realized that it was such a big deal. The cord coming out of my head unit is tagged "Carplay" and does both wired carplay and android auto. I've just been calling the whole thing carplay since I'm lazy and it's easier.
Sponsored