Sponsored

Any 2 door regrets?

antonc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Thinking about pulling a trigger on a new Wrangler. I've always wanted one.

I know the 2 vs 4 door debate is all about personal needs with no wrong choices.

I just love the way the 2 doors look, it's a classic jeep, but I've never owned a 2 door car before.

Has livable is it for every day use? Is it easy for kids to get to the rear seats?
Do you regret not get the 4 door for the extra space?

We have a family-friendly car that we use for longer trips but would need the jeep to be practical enough for school drop-off and grocery store runs on daily basis.
Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent

I know the 2 vs 4 door debate is all about personal needs with no wrong choices.

I just love the way the 2 doors look, it's a classic jeep, but I've never owned a 2 door car before.

Has livable is it for every day use? Is it easy for kids to get to the rear seats?

We have a family-friendly car that we use for longer trips but would need the jeep to be practical enough for school drop-off and grocery store runs on daily basis.
My wife LOVES her 2 door. We just did an all day highway trip in it for her work. Handled pouring rain, highway speeds and makes town runs no problem. We took the back seat out because our kids are grown but love the space in back without it. Getting in an out shouldn't be too bad, the seats flop forward and return to their original position easily. Never considered a 4 door.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I recently(last week)sold my RV tow vehicle and am now looking at camping out of my JLR. It will be an eye opener but doable. I still have no 2 dr. regrets

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey

I hear you on the looks. The 2 Door is classic; and having just test drove a 2 door Rubi, I can honestly say even my stubby full figure was able to get into and out of the back with few issues (this Rubi had a step; that helped). However: I couldn’t pull the trigger on a two door because if I wanted to take it across country (and I do), I would need to caravan with my wife’s Lariat or add a trailer. No cargo room whatsoever in that thing.
I went with the Unlimited. Far more practical (and hence the 10:1 sales ratio on ‘em).

If It’s just you, maybe the spouse and kids but local travel, might be a different story.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Never once wished I had a 4 door. But this is a 3rd vehicle for us. If you just need it for an extra runabout it’s perfect. Kids are remarkably flexible. Buy it for you, not for them!

Last edited:

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr

I am in the same boat (not sure how old your little ones are, mine are teenagers).

Here is my honest review:
- 2 doors are good “city cars.” They are easy to park on the street and are able to fit into spaces well for making passes.
- If your commute involves a lot of highway driving, especially if you live somewhere with a fair amount of wind, you may not love it. I have an upgraded steering stabilizer that does allow you to stiffen the steering via a switch and it helps, but crosswinds can still make it fun.
- As a 2nd vehicle, the amount of space might not be that bad. Mine spends most of its time with the back seats turned up. Like that, there is a fair amount of space for shopping trips / Home Depot runs.
- My kids have no issues getting into the back. There is enough room for them (17 and 12, both boys). However, as a 2nd car, they aren’t in it much. If it was commuting them all of the time, a 4 door would be a better choice. You CAN definitely do the school run, but it is a bit cumbersome.
- The 2 door, especially if you do not lift it or put on bigger tires, is a fun little vehicle. I came from a 4 door sports sedan, so I won’t call it “sporty,” but it does have a fair amount of get up and go. I drove a 4 door Sahara and it definitely lost some of its edge in comparison.
- You can pick up a basket that goes into the trailer hitch for not too much money. I have a 24x60 inch one and you can put a lot of stuff on there without giving up interior space
- Finally, kids love the Jeep. When given the choice, my kid’s friends fight over who gets to ride in the Jeep. Plus, there is not much better than taking the top off and going for a family drive.

I am biased, but I say get the 2-door if it will put a smile on your face. You’ll find ways to work around any of its shortcomings, but only if this is a vehicle that you truly want.

Last edited:

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT

I have a 2 door and a 4 year old. No way I would have done it before the car seat was forward facing.

Sure it’s indulgent — getting a 2 door when you have a family — but we’ve made it work really well.

Getting the car seat in the back is probably the hardest part. Biggest suggestion is get back there with it the first time you do it. And I’m not going to lie, while I can get the car seat through the door, it’s a bit easier to put in with the top off.

Car seat is the Britax Grow with You Clicktight Plus. I feel like the actual choice of car seat matters given the size of the back seat. I keep the headrest down behind it. Do note the headrests are not supposed to be removable in the 2 door.

Feel free to ask questions about life with a kid in a 2 door. I had the (unfortunate) opportunity to replace my 2020 with a 2021. Still chose the 2 door.

Edit - even done a 1800 mile trip in the 2 door with the wife, kiddo, dog and luggage (all inside, nor blocking the rear view). It really is possible - go for it!

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
OK, I have had three 2 doors and two 4 doors over the past 8 years. I can tell you, without a doubt, the two door is more fun to drive with just me and the dog. It turns on a dime and is nimble in tight spaces. However, there isnt $hit for room in the thing and my teenage daughter bitches everytime she has to ride in the back because the seat is awful and getting in and out really is a chore- especially if the jeep is lifted. With the back seat up, there is room for a few bags of groceries and not much else.

The four door has ample room for everything including passengers, camping gear, the dog, and the wife. The 4 door has a longer wheel base and it seems to climb a little better on the trails.

If you have a family, including kids, do not get a 2 door unless it is just a weekend toy for you and the wife or dog.

The dog prefers the 2 door however, because she puts her rear legs on the back seat and her front ones on the center console because the back seat is so close to the front ones.

I guess the whole point of my lengthy rant is the 2 door is more fun and the 4 door is more practical

Jeep Wrangler JL Any 2 door regrets? Rubicon_side (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Any 2 door regrets? P7100004.JPG

Last edited:

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I really like my 2 door, but I never have anyone riding in the back. If I did, I would seriously consider a 4 door.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
If you have one or two kids out of carseats, you'll have no problems. You may need side steps, that's about it. With the height of the Jeep and the tight egress to the back seats, I feel like it would be too awkward for carseats...

I get into the backseat all the time to do things like unbolting the hard top and it's no problem and the back seats are plenty comfortable and surprisingly roomy (there's no fifth seat & extra space on the sides).

The cargo space with the back seats in use is good for a few grocery bags or just pile stuff on the kids in the back! With the seats folded or removed, there's tons of space. We have two 2-door Jeeps, one elementary age kid and one college age kid that visits regularly. We both love the more nimble 2-door Jeep.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
We have no kids. I would never get a 4 door.

Mostly I have the back seats out.

Sometimes we have friends in the back and of course I put the seats in again. I have a cargo net positioned inside the tailgate. When we open the tailgate the net keeps stuff from falling out.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
When it's the wife, 3 kids, and the dogs, we take the JT Rubicon, sometimes with the trailer if we're camping. Sometimes we tow the JT with the motorhome.

When it's the wife and more than 1 kid, we take the JLU Sahara.

When it's one, two, or up to three of us, we grab our new JL Willys. This is my 3rd two door and I just couldn't go any longer without the fun factor it brings

20210718_175252.jpg

IMG958289.jpg

20210820_171910.jpg
Sponsored