First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Anyone find downshifting requires double-clutching? I used to double-clutch a Ford Fiesta all the time, so I could lower my gear while entering or exiting corners. There's been a few times I've downshifted in the Jeep and noticed the difference between my 2021 with 4.10 and my 2022 with 4.88. Same driving leads to some grinding because of the driveline/trans difference in RPM/speed. So, I find myself starting to double=clutch a little more often. It's something I didn't consider or think about prior to buying the 4.88, but realize now the deeper gears really make a difference in more ways than I thought. Not a bad thing, and makes me slow things down a little, but something I just didn't think about before buying.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and yes. Wait- have I responded to this thread? Iā€™m having deja vu. But yes, 2 door manual rubicon soft top as God intended

Sponsored

Matt878

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 15 Sahara 2dr 6 speed, current 18 JLU S
Occupation
You wouldnā€™t like me if you knew
Anyone find downshifting requires double-clutching? I used to double-clutch a Ford Fiesta all the time, so I could lower my gear while entering or exiting corners. There's been a few times I've downshifted in the Jeep and noticed the difference between my 2021 with 4.10 and my 2022 with 4.88. Same driving leads to some grinding because of the driveline/trans difference in RPM/speed. So, I find myself starting to double=clutch a little more often. It's something I didn't consider or think about prior to buying the 4.88, but realize now the deeper gears really make a difference in more ways than I thought. Not a bad thing, and makes me slow things down a little, but something I just didn't think about before buying.
Hey bud, are you referring to rev-matching or actually double clutching? I know a lot of folks get the two mixed up.

personally I donā€™t see the need to double clutch any modern manual because they all have synchroā€™s on the gears to relieve you from having to do that.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rev-matching

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Nope...plain old granny shifting.

Matt878

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rev-matching
I figured thatā€™s what u meant lol, cause double clutching is used on old 18 wheelers to downshift smoothly and it involves actually bringing the gear shift to N and letting out the clutch, then pressing it again and bringing it to gear lol

but yeah I rev match on every downshift unless itā€™s slow speed, then Iā€™ll just slip it out.
Iā€™ve driven every car Iā€™ve owned the same way

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks...and I'm pretty familiar with double-clutching, because synchros or not, I still do it from time to time. I've found the low(er) 4.88 gearing puts me in a spot where I'm driving more like an old-school muscle car or old pickup than what I'm used to. I'm actually having fun, but haven't yet started shifting without the clutch (by rev-matching). I used to drive a couple of cars and trucks pretty regularly without grinding gears by rev-matching with no clutch.

Sponsored

Matt878

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks...and I'm pretty familiar with double-clutching, because synchros or not, I still do it from time to time. I've found the low(er) 4.88 gearing puts me in a spot where I'm driving more like an old-school muscle car or old pickup than what I'm used to. I'm actually having fun, but haven't yet started shifting without the clutch (by rev-matching). I used to drive a couple of cars and trucks pretty regularly without grinding gears by rev-matching with no clutch.
How is it possible to rev match with no clutch? You have to press the clutch in order to rev the engine to the rpm it will be at in the next lower gear. Genuinely confused

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a clutch, lol.

You can pull it to neutral, no clutch, rev, drop it into gear.

LaunchMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Dr.
Wait! You can get one of these things with an automatic? That doesn't sound right.

Yes and mostly yes. I walk a lot too. But with neither of the 2 doors that come on a Jeep nor any of the 3 windows on, how else would you keep people from steeling it? šŸ¤£
Jeep Wrangler JL Any 2-Door, Manual Rubicons out there? IMG_2268

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
My 2019 Rubicon w/6spd. Took a trip down to South Padre recently and got the dreaded rear locker blinking sensor and to make it worse just hit 36K (out of warranty) but Mopar honored the issue and my dealer installed a brand new rear axle. Wonder if the issue is fixed or will it go again?...

20220425_124435_1.jpg

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
My 2019 Rubicon w/6spd. Took a trip down to South Padre recently and got the dreaded rear locker blinking sensor and to make it worse just hit 36K (out of warranty) but Mopar honored the issue and my dealer installed a brand new rear axle. Wonder if the issue is fixed or will it go again?...
The sensor is available separately for purchase now, 68544629AA. They havenā€™t done anything different to the sensor to prevent it from leaking. But full axle replacement is no longer necessary.

Many would suggest potting the new sensor.
Sponsored