First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
Just curious: Why the specifics on rubicon? Doesn't a 2 door sport manual drive about the same as a 2 door rubicon with the same engine? I have a Willys and it droves almost identical has my dads sport gladiator.
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious: Why the specifics on rubicon? Doesn't a 2 door sport manual drive about the same as a 2 door rubicon with the same engine? I have a Willys and it droves almost identical has my dads sport gladiator.
Difference in gearing I guess.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
If so, is it your daily driver?
Yes, my family loves it.
There were only 25 available in the country summer of 2020 when I was looking.
Edit- there are only 36 in this spec at dealerships right now.
Also, just took it on a 2500 mile trip up north and back (without a spare tire). Even my parents said it rode better than they thought it would.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gnip

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubi Sting Gray
yep, but wfh so the mileage is pretty limited.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If so, is it your daily driver?
Yes, one of the first JLR’s made (took delivery July 6th 2018 and they didn’t start 2door production until April 9th 2018).

Just under 70k and been to Moab twice. Was putting on 20k a year but been WFH last 2 years so not putting the miles on I used to.

OP
OP
Edslittleworld

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
Yes own 2dr 6sp.
Sort of daily driver...

@Edslittleworld May I ask what you are looking for? Whether the vehicle is well regarded as a daily by actual owners?
I am just curious because mine has turned into a weekend toy now that I commute in a Subaru. I own other manual cars, but the JLR is a handful to drive compared to my other cars.

Sponsored

RedBaron91

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JLR
The last manual I daily drove was my 97 TJ, and the JL is in a whole different league than that. I don't find it to be a handful at all, but I'm also not comparing it to a WRX.

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
If you mash my 2016 JKU Rubicon (4dr manual) together with 2021 JL Willy (2dr manual) together, does that count?

Not sure if there's a specific reason, but the 2dr manual on it's own has been great! I do not miss my 4 doors, or my JK, or my Rubicon!

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I am just curious because mine has turned into a weekend toy now that I commute in a Subaru. I own other manual cars, but the JLR is a handful to drive compared to my other cars.
Funny you mention a Subaru. For most daily errands my wife and I use her car, a Subaru, rather than my JLR (she lets me "borrow" the Subaru on a daily basis).

I find my JLR to be supremely fun to drive but the Subaru gets much better mileage and it is old enough that none of us care if the Subaru gets dinged in a Trader Joes parking lot.

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
Last manual I drove was a TJ. Then drove a Volve V70R. I am recently coming from an automatic Crosstrek after driving it for 8+ years which I am handing down to my son, after picking up a 2 door 6mt Willys. All of these have been my daily driver.

The Willys is far more refined than the TJ. But the handling of a solid front axle is what made me fall in love (it's that Jeep Thang), and regardless of whether it was my TJ or my current JL, that feeling is familiar.

The Subi has been one of the best daily driver get me from point A to point B, drive my kids everywhere, excellent gas mileage vehicle I've ever driven. Is it fun? Hell no! Is it practical and safe? Hell yes. But it's not what my heart wants. It's not what I enjoy driving daily in Southern California traffic.

I've put just about 1200 miles on this Willys and it took me about 1000 miles to get use to this manual transmission, and I love every minute of it, whatever weather conditions or traffic, or distance. I love walking up to it, getting in it, starting it up, pulling off, and rowing those gears! And this may very well be the last 6mt on a Jeep.
Sponsored