Sponsored

Any 2.0L Jeep Wrangler JL in sight for delivery?

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
I haven’t heard anything from my dealer or Jeep, no sign of movement on the tracking sites, and I refuse to call or email since they said they would keep me informed.

I did get my deposit back at the beginning of the month from my dealer, but told them to give me a call if it comes in, because if I had not purchased something else, I would buy it.

I am picking up my new vehicle on Monday. It is not a Wrangler, but it has got me totally excited. My current Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland has its new owner just as thrilled.

This will be the first time in over 20 years I will not have a Jeep. But, after this ordering experience, I am good with that.

We are all happy here.
Good luck to all of you, happy trails!
Sponsored

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2-dr Rubicon & 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Well, I spoke with my inside contact from the AllPar website and it appears that there was a significant problem with the first group of 2.0 turbo motors. He confirmed that there were problems with the valve stem keepers and camshaft. The problems were with motors produced from February through early April. And for those of you who may not realize it the motors are not made in Toledo but rather at a plant in Trenton, NJ. Apparently FCA dispatched a team to the plant in May to inspect the problems encountered.

In my opinion, this is an epic failure in terms of producing the 4 cylinder motors as a full six weeks - basically from the launch date forward for 6 weeks was lost. There is no word on how the problem was fixed, or if it is fixed. I personally suspect that this occurrence is why FCA is saying late July for production to "restart" as I think this is when the first new batch of motors is expected in from Trenton. This is the type if chronic problem that would produce such a long and sustained delay with the 2.0 motors. If the camshafts and/or valve stems were flawed that would be a huge problem resulting in a lengthy solution to fix it, and start producing the motors in quantity again.

Just sharing what I learned and forecasting what the impact has been to the production and ordering process.

x3L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOJITO! JLUR 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
6/24
I haven't been on here in a while and I don't know if this sheds any light but we have been shipping these engines to Toledo Assy like crazy. I know they had some issues with the 48 volt batteries catching fire so that is probably another thing holding these up? Don't know anything else but engines are being shipped out.
They are coming from Italy

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
My clone order showed up on Crypto as built yesterday. Build sticker is indeed found. Jeep Chat yesterday said D1 status. Today, they said I (inspection). Lol. This is a 5/29 12:00 AM clone for an original 3/7 order.

Things are moving, but the systems are definitely lagging at times. Seems like if you get someone who checks the “second” system, you have a better shot at accurate info. The “first” system is definitely not updating on these builds the way it used to update.

@Chicago, hang in there. I bet the progress on yours is real - it’s just a matter of the systems not being up to date.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Thanks for info

Sponsored

thewise1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Turbo 2door Stingray Sport and 6cyl 4door White Sahara
doesn't matter but thought initially the motors where imported until the domestic versions were ready? (just curious)

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara turbo firecracker red
Well, I spoke with my inside contact from the AllPar website and it appears that there was a significant problem with the first group of 2.0 turbo motors. He confirmed that there were problems with the valve stem keepers and camshaft. The problems were with motors produced from February through early April. And for those of you who may not realize it the motors are not made in Toledo but rather at a plant in Trenton, NJ. Apparently FCA dispatched a team to the plant in May to inspect the problems encountered.

In my opinion, this is an epic failure in terms of producing the 4 cylinder motors as a full six weeks - basically from the launch date forward for 6 weeks was lost. There is no word on how the problem was fixed, or if it is fixed. I personally suspect that this occurrence is why FCA is saying late July for production to "restart" as I think this is when the first new batch of motors is expected in from Trenton. This is the type if chronic problem that would produce such a long and sustained delay with the 2.0 motors. If the camshafts and/or valve stems were flawed that would be a huge problem resulting in a lengthy solution to fix it, and start producing the motors in quantity again.

Just sharing what I learned and forecasting what the impact has been to the production and ordering process.
Seems like a possibility but what about info that it was wiring harnesses. Then there is the battery issue. So are these all right or none right or some right. Maybe your contact can verify the other possibilities. Seems like if it's cam issues in the motor they might have just changed motors not scrapped the entire vehicle. Any opinions?

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My clone order showed up on Crypto as built yesterday. Build sticker is indeed found. Jeep Chat yesterday said D1 status. Today, they said I (inspection). Lol. This is a 5/29 12:00 AM clone for an original 3/7 order.

Things are moving, but the systems are definitely lagging at times. Seems like if you get someone who checks the “second” system, you have a better shot at accurate info. The “first” system is definitely not updating on these builds the way it used to update.

@Chicago, hang in there. I bet the progress on yours is real - it’s just a matter of the systems not being up to date.
So what does having a build sheet mean?

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo
I haven’t heard anything from my dealer or Jeep, no sign of movement on the tracking sites, and I refuse to call or email since they said they would keep me informed.

I did get my deposit back at the beginning of the month from my dealer, but told them to give me a call if it comes in, because if I had not purchased something else, I would buy it.

I am picking up my new vehicle on Monday. It is not a Wrangler, but it has got me totally excited. My current Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland has its new owner just as thrilled.

This will be the first time in over 20 years I will not have a Jeep. But, after this ordering experience, I am good with that.

We are all happy here.
Good luck to all of you, happy trails!
Did I miss something? What are you getting versus Wrangler?

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
So what does having a build sheet mean?
It means the "recipe" to build your Jeep has been fed into the manufacturing line. With 900 plus being built per day, it should be popping out within 12 hours. I THINK, by the time you see the build sheet in any system, it is already built.

The Sticker is required for release into shipping - when you see that, it is already in KZ.

Sponsored

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It means the "recipe" to build your Jeep has been fed into the manufacturing line. With 900 plus being built per day, it should be popping out within 12 hours. I THINK, by the time you see the build sheet in any system, it is already built.

The Sticker is required for release into shipping - when you see that, it is already in KZ.
Thanks I have been told in jb and dealer said probably trailer hitch and related wiring.

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
So I shared the good news with my dealership about moving from D to D1,
according to Jeep chat. But I’m still showing as D in their system. So who knows... Sigh.
Still remaining optimistic though, given that there finally seems to be movement for many Jeepers here. My lease doesn’t expire until late August so I’m not too worried yet.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
So I shared the good news with my dealership about moving from D to D1,
according to Jeep chat. But I’m still showing as D in their system. So who knows... Sigh.
Still remaining optimistic though, given that there finally seems to be movement for many Jeepers here. My lease doesn’t expire until late August so I’m not too worried yet.
I did same thing with my dealer told him I was built and in inspection he said I still showed up as D in his system lol

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
I did same thing with my dealer told him I was built and in inspection he said I still showed up as D in his system lol
Ha. OK, so maybe there is hope that Jeep Chat is one step ahead... Thanks, Chicago!

Silver lining: my dealership has been nothing but great throughout the process, even proactively offering to place a twin 3.6L order for me to ensure I won’t be empty-handed if my Turbo order takes more than 3-4 months. I thought that was very sporting of them. They can’t control the manufacturing process, but what they can control, they’re doing well. :like:

While we’ve been focused on the aggravation for us paying customers (and rightfully so, particularly for the loyal customer base that placed orders in Dec-Jan-Feb), this is probably also a suboptimal experience for the dealerships. They have to pacify a bunch of customers and in many cases carry extra inventory (duplicate orders). Here is a thought and some appreciation for all the small businesses in the front line, doing the best they can in this situation. :captain:

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did I miss something? What are you getting versus Wrangler?
It looks like this:
Range Rover.jpg

Range Rover Convertible

( my membership on this forum has been REVOKED, With Prejudice! )
Sponsored