Sponsored

Any 2.0L Jeep Wrangler JL in sight for delivery?

GoldenSky

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Rubicon 3.6
That is 50% of a "solution". The other part is that they have to now scale the solution to Production capacity and produce the 1st JL Turbo that passes inspection.

For example, IF the problem is with the wiring harness, have they worked with the supplier to produce and deliver the quality and number needed. How long will it take them to get up to speed and producing the new harness?
Bingo - Plus will it impact the EPA or other Federal Certifications required. These are answers they need to provide immediately to help all the Turbo orders. Instead of this needless speculating.
Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
That is 50% of a "solution". The other part is that they have to now scale the solution to Production capacity and produce the 1st JL Turbo that passes inspection.

For example, IF the problem is with the wiring harness, have they worked with the supplier to produce and deliver the quality and number needed. How long will it take them to get up to speed and producing the new harness?
They should give us a realistic time frame so we can dicide if wait is worth it

GoldenSky

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Rubicon 3.6
They should give us a realistic time frame so we can decide if wait is worth it
Exactly, is it something in the manufacturing process that they can somewhat easily fix by changing the method of installing the wiring harness. And impact of turning around a fix is a few days. Before they can restart the build process.

Or is it a flaw in a component that is part of the wiring harness or the wrong gauge wire used in the harness, etc that requires the vendor supplying the wiring harness to reconfigure it's processes to implement the fix. It's a snowball effect in that regard. And how long it takes to then implement a fix might be weeks before they can restart building

I think getting a Turbo in a month month and a half is likely being overly optimistic. I hope I'm wrong and you guys see them sooner. But if this is serious enough for them to scrap them all I'm just not feeling they can implement a fix quickly.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Exactly, is it something in the manufacturing process that they can somewhat easily fix by changing the method of installing the wiring harness. And impact of turning around a fix is a few days. Before they can restart the build process.

Or is it a flaw in a component that is part of the wiring harness or the wrong gauge wire used in the harness, etc that requires the vendor supplying the wiring harness to reconfigure it's processes to implement the fix. It's a snowball effect in that regard. And how long it takes to then implement a fix might be weeks before they can restart building

I think getting a Turbo in a month month and a half is likely being overly optimistic. I hope I'm wrong and you guys see them sooner. But if this is serious enough for them to scrap them all I'm just not feeling they can implement a fix quickly.
I wouldn’t mind the wait if they gave us an idea of how long this was gonna take , all the guessing and speculation drives you crazy , I’m hoping they will be upfront with us on this

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite

The other thing to consider is - will the fix actually work? There won't be as much testing and r&d for the new fix, so will the Jeeps still randomly burst into flames? Because of that, even if they were to build in 6 weeks, I'm saying bye to the Turbo and just went with the tried and true 3.6. The new one is peppy and nice, and gets almost the same gas mileage.

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
The other thing to consider is - will the fix actually work? There won't be as much testing and r&d for the new fix, so will the Jeeps still randomly burst into flames? Because of that, even if they were to build in 6 weeks, I'm saying bye to the Turbo and just went with the tried and true 3.6. The new one is peppy and nice, and gets almost the same gas mileage.
I’m hoping they offer lifetime warranty discounted

OP
OP
Respo

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m hoping they offer lifetime warranty discounted
That’s useless to us who are leasing. My guess is a $500 rebate, at the very most. Most likely getting nothing

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
That’s useless to us who are leasing. My guess is a $500 rebate, at the very most. Most likely getting nothing
I was told by FCA they were working on something

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Yeah at this point I'm thinking late July at best. Probably August which would put my order at around 6 months. Funny enough at this point my Tesla Model 3 order will likely be at my house before the JL.
I was told by FCA they were working on something
Cash back or perhaps a even more generous credit towards Mopar parts?

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Yeah at this point I'm thinking late July at best. Probably August which would put my order at around 6 months. Funny enough at this point my Tesla Model 3 order will likely be at my house before the JL.

Cash back or perhaps a even more generous credit towards Mopar parts?
She didn’t say what it would be , I’m hoping before August I ordered 2/16 that’s crazy

Sponsored

GoldenSky

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Rubicon 3.6

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
The other thing to consider is - will the fix actually work? There won't be as much testing and r&d for the new fix, so will the Jeeps still randomly burst into flames?
It is not a Fix if it does not work.

Everyone getting a JL should be paying attention to this, even if it is in their garage.

Here is my, high probability GUESS:
It is something unique to the Turbo. That would be:
  • The 48V Belt Starter Generator
    • "The eTorque Technology features a belt start generator that uses a modified alternator to generate current but also doubles as a starter to restart the engine after the vehicle comes to a full stop."
  • The physical routing of the Electrical Harness for a different physical engine displacement.
  • Any special batteries required.
  • Supplemental Heater
Then you have how these components integrate or co-operate with other packages like Towing and Cold Weather, I can easily get to the Wiring Harness becomes overtaxed. If all this is related to the fires, it would seem to somehow cause a battery failure - which is the most likely and easiest thing to overheat and explode.

It could be one of the specific Turbo add-ons is to blame, like a defect in the Supplemental Heaters, but given the testing and quality control, I would not think so.

We kind of know it is something deeper into the Jeep, that they just can't put in a new battery or a stronger fuses. They are scrapping the whole Jeep.

If the line for Turbos is shut down, that means they don't have a Production Fix / Parts in hand. Also, like my order which was a D1, build schedule the week of 6/4 - - is now a D ( not all the part required to build are available ).

So,
  1. Maybe they do have a fix and are now sourcing it.
  2. They ( the engineers ) think they are close to figuring it out. You gotta love their optimism.
  3. Nobody has a proven theory and they are still looking to find the root cause.
That all still leaves us in the dark. Hopefully Jeep will illuminate the situation soon. The less illumination - probably the worse it is.

Other JL owners should pay attention to this. If they haven't modded their JL, probably all is good. But, until we know what the problem is, and that it is only possible on a Turbo model, thoughts of putting that Hot Tub in the back of your JLU along with the electric sauna, and the ice maker/Margarita Machine for the wet bar - might not be a good idea.

I am holding on to my order for a while - until I have better "info" than my guesses provide. But the quickly approaching 2019 depreciation drop will have me canceling if Jeep has no policy or announcement on how they are going to handle it.

For those grabbing JL with the 3.6, everyone I have heard from thinks it is a FANTASTIC vehicle. Heck, when you compare a JK today off the lot with the price of a new loaded Turbo Rubicon (at some time in the future) the amount of savings will bring tears of joy to your eyes.

1st, do what you have to do.
2nd, do what you want to do.
Always pay attention!
Sponsored