Sponsored

Any 2.0L Jeep Wrangler JL in sight for delivery?

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
Am going to stencil on hood "any 2.0's in sight?" :)
If there would have been a 2door Sahara I would've done that especially since it has selecttrac but I'm an old angry man (get off my grass) now that doesn't need much off roading anymore so I added to the sport the anti-spin option along with all others (except smokers) ... thinking turbos may naturally run hot so considered (no pun intended) rubicon just for the neat vented hood - stayed with sport-s though - snow would probably melt thru it and dirty it up (?) ... :)
John, I am old and grumpy, wanted the select-track, couldnā€™t stomach the over-stuffed/price of features I didnā€™t want on the Sahara, ordered a 2Door Sport S, when they delayed that, cancelled that and ordered a turbo Rubicon. Yup, more than I need, but out here, you can never tell.
By the way, the vents on the hood are mostly for looks. Wait a bit and watch the junk yards. You might even find one the right color to slap on you Sport.
Sponsored

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
He isnā€™t pumped about it and said heā€™d have to check with his manager.
Starting to think there are more and more reasons to bail. He keeps saying just hold out until next week...
If the 3.6 had BSG I would probably jump ship now, but Iā€™m hanging on by a thread.
Your salesman has better control than I do, I would have laughed. Really, stop and think what you were asking him to do? Why donā€™t you buy two and sell the one you donā€™t want?

The last I heard, they were making Turbos - without BSG, they were all for export. The ā€œturbo problemā€ is probably some sort of wiring harness incompatiblity with BSG. (that is a guess)

Humans are wired to dislike uncertainty. The uncertainty surrounding all this is very unsettling. You are not alone in what you are feeling. It all comes down to if you can wait for what you want and if you believe that Jeep can build it.
I get the impression that you are trying to hedge too much and are over thinking it. See if you can step back, look at the big picture, and get to something that will make you happy.

Last edited:

Itsgary2

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
But I was thinking. I wonder what they will do with the Jeeps that where completed? You donā€™t just take them to the scrap yard if there are hundreds.

I wonder if the will just replace a part on the built Jeeps and ship.

Itsgary2

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
The hood and tires more aggressive looking
There are several things that made me choose a Rubicon. On my last Jeep I got a Sahara to customize.

If the Sahara had an option for the Dana 44 and the Red Dashboard Interior and Stiching and the raised finders so that 35ā€ tires could be added without a lift.... then I would get a Sahara and customize the rest. Because I like the idea of full time 4WD especially when I lived in Chicago.

On my New Rubicon I will be keeping all the original equipment except the Wheels.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Your salesman has better control than I do, I would have laughed. Really, stop and think what you were asking to do? Why donā€™t you buy two and sell the one you donā€™t want?

The last I heard, they were making Turbos - without BSG, they were all for export. The ā€œturbo problemā€ is probably some sort of wiring harness incompatiblity with BSG. (that is a guess)

Humans are wired to dislike uncertainty. The uncertainty surrounding all this is very unsettling. You are not alone in what you are feeling. It all comes down to if you can wait for what you want and if you believe that Jeep can build it.
I get the impression that you are trying to hedge too much and are over thinking it. See if you can step back, look at the big picture, and get to something that will make you happy.
Have you read the thread? Multiple people have had success with this. Itā€™s really not unreasonable at all. The dealer will sell both of the vehicles without any problem. Iā€™d say itā€™s the least dealers can do for us in this situation. Honestly, read the thread. Plenty of success doing this - it almost seems like you havenā€™t been following the thread...?

The big picture? Over thinking it? Not to be an ass, but donā€™t assume that you know everyoneā€™s situation. Trust me, I have seen more of the big picture than most have to consider when buying a vehicle (not typically much big picture to it - but there are some long term considerations for me on this one), and I am definitely not over thinking it.

I have a timeline to fit in to for family accessibility/handicap reasons before one of my kids is so big that I cannot easily lift in and out - plus a possible requirement of a wheelchair in the back a couple years down the line (which will not work in a Wrangler).

I doubt Iā€™m over thinking it. This may be the last Jeep I am able to own before I need to switch to a minivan with a wheelchair lift, so Iā€™d like it to be a fun one where I am not looking back thinking ā€œI wish I had gotten ____ā€. I have to balance that with waiting for a unicorn because I cannot wait forever, or I will not be able to lift my kiddo in and out and will potentially have a wheelchair in the equation.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
There are several things that made me choose a Rubicon. On my last Jeep I got a Sahara to customize.

If the Sahara had an option for the Dana 44 and the Red Dashboard Interior and Stiching and the raised finders so that 35ā€ tires could be added without a lift.... then I would get a Sahara and customize the rest. Because I like the idea of full time 4WD especially when I lived in Chicago.

On my New Rubicon I will be keeping all the original equipment except the Wheels.
Kind of similar to me on the last one (Sahara). I do already have tires and wheels again for this one, so the Rubi tires and wheels donā€™t factor in for me much.

I do like the Rubi hood, and the wider stance... but with a -10 offset (4.3ā€ BS) on my wheels, I may not need the wider
axles for that look, anyway.

Iā€™m neutral on the fenders... but not having to lift for my 35s would really be ideal.

Hoping to hear back from the dealer today on submitting the second order. If not, I may cancel the first.

Firemedicsparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off the phone with my dealer and asked him to try to switch my order to a Rubicon. By current leasing numbers, my cost goes down $5.19/month with the Rubi build over my original Sahara build. Hopefully it goes through.

He's not sure if they will approve the change to the trim itself - he thinks they would normally only do a minor change like cloth to leather or color, but probably not going from Sahara to Rubi. Anyone have experience here, or is this uncharted territory?
Speculating here but I would assume that at earliest you would take delivery in July....at which point the Residual Values will decrease from June and the Money Factor probably won't get better. Just take that into account while playing with your estimated leasing number....I would guesstimate a drop of 2% off the current RV.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Speculating here but I would assume that at earliest you would take delivery in July....at which point the Residual Values will decrease from June and the Money Factor probably won't get better. Just take that into account while playing with your estimated leasing number....I would guesstimate a drop of 2% off the current RV.
AND the MRM just took a hit through CULA, which makes the deal even worse. Sahara took the biggest hit, of course. Rubicon is still decent. This makes my Sahara build $5 more expensive than the Rubi build I would submit.

Order was placed March 7. Original numbers for April vs now are something like a $70/month more expensive now :-(

If I didnā€™t have a timeline for my family, Iā€™d just wait 6 months and get a 2019 with better leasing numbers. Just not sure I can wait that long, unfortunately. Iā€™m coming up on the end of the window.

Iā€™m actually out looking at 3.6s on lots now. Broadened my net to include Sting Gray in addition to the original pick of Granite... still no matches, though. Blah.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Your salesman has better control than I do, I would have laughed. Really, stop and think what you were asking him to do? Why donā€™t you buy two and sell the one you donā€™t want?
Dealer is planning to place the second order on Monday (as other dealers have done for other customers on this forum, which is what gave me the idea to even ask).

Hopefully he comes through and doesnā€™t change his mind between now and Monday.

Sponsored

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara turbo firecracker red
Dealer is planning to place the second order on Monday (as other dealers have done for other customers on this forum, which is what gave me the idea to even ask).

Hopefully he comes through and doesnā€™t change his mind between now and Monday.
Don't understand these dealers. When I spoke to corporate they said if I didn't want to wait and they have no idea when the turbo will start production, I should look into the 3.6. So if you have problems with dealers email corporate, they should help.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Thatā€™s awesome

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you read the thread? Multiple people have had success with this. Itā€™s really not unreasonable at all.
Yes, I have read the thread.
Yes, you have a lot to consider and important things to balance out. It is a challenge.
I understand how it can be insulting to you to be told by someone how to do something, when they think they know best and how things should be done - when the a$$hole ( me ) doesnā€™t know what is involved. I am sorry, that was not my intention. By the way, that is exactly what you did to your salesman, though I can also get to that that was not your intention either.
Good luck with your decisions.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Yes, I have read the thread.
Yes, you have a lot to consider and important things to balance out. It is a challenge.
I understand how it can be insulting to you to be told by someone how to do something, when they think they know best and how things should be done - when the a$$hole ( me ) doesnā€™t know what is involved. I am sorry, that was not my intention. By the way, that is exactly what you did to your salesman, though I can also get to that that was not your intention either.
Good luck with your decisions.
No apology needed, just wanted you to hear my perspective as well.

Do we have the turbos yet!? :)

runswithbeers

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Jeep Wrangler, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock; 2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (x 2), 2018 JL Rubicon
From what I've seen, ship date doesn't seem to correlate with anything other than crushed dreams
Crushed dreams??? Are you kidding? I dream of my awesome new Jeep and how great it's going to be--especially with the turbo! I can wait. I do feel bad for those that couldn't wait due to not having a vehicle, etc. But they are going to love their 3.6 JLs too! All good.
Sponsored