Sponsored

Antifreeze smell with heat in 2022 JLU Rubi?

Bayhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
As the title says, I have an antifreeze smell in the cabin with the heat on (less than 6k miles, smell has been there all winter long that I was hoping would 'burn off').

Doesn't seem to happen right away and my sense is I get the odor when the thermostat opens but can't be sure. After the initial blast, the odor is much less but still there.

Dropped it off at the dealer last week and their first response was they can't replicate the problem/detect the odor - no problems detected with a pressure (or was it vacuum?) test. That was no bueno for me so I told them to keep it for when it gets colder and the heat really comes on. Still waiting for word from them, but I'm not optimistic.

LOTS of posts about this issue on older 2.0l models but not much at all on the newer 3.6l engines/vehicles. Those posts all seem to point to the Heating coil or the t-stat housing as the source of the problem.

Any known issues or other similar problems in 2022?
Sponsored

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Sounds like the heating core unit. Telltale sign is a maple syrup-like smell (antifreeze) in the cabin area when using the heat.
I have no doubt they couldn't recreate the problem because the majority of Jeep Dealer servicers are completely inept at doing an oil change much less else.

pfletcher229648

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR w/SOT, 2024 JLUR X w/SOT(On Order)
Occupation
CIO
SparkleTooth nailed it, it's the Heater Core.

Had the problem in a 1999 Expedition, but that was in 2009 when it was 10 years old. Haven't seen an issue with smelling anti-freeze in the cabin turn out to be anything different.

Also, it's not necessarily consistent. The next time you hop in it and it smells of anti-freeze, I'd run it straight to the dealer and not shut it off until on of the service managers got in a smelled it.

OP
OP

Bayhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Thanks guy, appreciate the feedback. Dealer didn't call today so I hope that means they smelled it. Not wild about them tearing apart the dash to get to it, hopefully if they do they know what's going on.

I'll come back and update this as I learn more.

OP
OP

Bayhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Dealer finally returned my call today (I asked them to keep it over the weekend and test it on Monday when it was colder) and the response was "...can't replicate the problem, pick it up and if it happens again, bring it back".

I told them nope, not going to drive a car that makes me and my family sick - let me talk to your boss to discuss next steps. Not surprisingly, I'm waiting on a return call.

Sponsored

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just as a stupid comment if they slpashed or dropped coolant anywhere on the motor and didn't clean it everytime you drive it will cook and smell and never go away. The dealer spilled a bit on a friend's and it smelled. Brought it over and we cleaned the hell out of the block with hot water (carefully), problem solved.

It's also happening ALOT on repairing the recalls!

jeepardized

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I have a 2019 Rubicon with only 18,000 and the heater core started to leak. Estimates are $1200 to over $2000. Jeep has had issues with heater cores since the 2007 JKs came out. Its just complete BS that they yet to resolve it. I am not seeing many other complaints though for the JL's.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
That indicates a heater core leak!

jeepardized

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Go underneath and look for white stains on the transmission. There is a weep hole right above the trans. If the heater core is leaking, its burning off on the trans and that is what you are smelling.

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Willys Xtreme Recon, 2006 Jeep Comdr 4X4
As the title says, I have an antifreeze smell in the cabin with the heat on (less than 6k miles, smell has been there all winter long that I was hoping would 'burn off').

Doesn't seem to happen right away and my sense is I get the odor when the thermostat opens but can't be sure. After the initial blast, the odor is much less but still there.

Dropped it off at the dealer last week and their first response was they can't replicate the problem/detect the odor - no problems detected with a pressure (or was it vacuum?) test. That was no bueno for me so I told them to keep it for when it gets colder and the heat really comes on. Still waiting for word from them, but I'm not optimistic.

LOTS of posts about this issue on older 2.0l models but not much at all on the newer 3.6l engines/vehicles. Those posts all seem to point to the Heating coil or the t-stat housing as the source of the problem.

Any known issues or other similar problems in 2022?
I had this issue with older Jeep and was a coolant leak, not heater related. I guess the vent was pulling in the smell. Replaced radiator and hoses which fixed. I was skeptical prior to them fixing that it didn't involve heater coils...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bayhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Dealer was unable to replicate the smell and had it for about a week. When I picked it up, the smell was gone and hasn't come back (hopefully stays that way when winter kicks in). It does look like they inspected the heater core, but did not report any repairs.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer was unable to replicate the smell and had it for about a week. When I picked it up, the smell was gone and hasn't come back (hopefully stays that way when winter kicks in). It does look like they inspected the heater core, but did not report any repairs.
I sure hope they just didnā€™t throw in some ā€STOP LEAKā€ or something like that to get by. I would crack open the radiator and see if there is anything odd looking, and then double check the overflow tank to see if there is anything strange looking in there.

Just as a precaution!
Sponsored