Sponsored

Anti-theft Lug Nuts.... Not so Great

SilverSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
These locking lug nuts came straight from the dealer. Bottom 4 tires had one style, spare tire had another. We took our JLU to our tire place to upgrade the tires, they had no problem removing all 5 wheels and reinstalling. When I went to remove the spare last weekend, I had no key. Took Hoss back and told them I needed these dumb lugs off and... disaster. Several days later, overnighted parts from Detroit and 3 new wheels, it’s back to what it used to be. Moral of the story, check your lugs, check your keys, don’t lose them, they’re crap to start with and don’t let anyone drill out your lug stud without telling you. It cost this place over $1,500 to fix their damages.

74F815E7-4BDD-4DB9-AD37-94460575ACEF.jpeg

D8EEFAEA-A511-41CB-BD69-477FBE5EF9D8.jpeg

8AF3EECB-6E0F-46D2-BA93-450029810C3D.jpeg

A4EE2B02-5C9D-4719-940A-2174F1BE0986.jpeg
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
That’s dumb of them to even try. The major tool manufacturers make tool kits to get these things off. There are much better ways than mangling someone’s vehicle.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I didn’t let my dealer even put them on. On wife’s GMC, they’re in the glove compartment and not on the wheels. Nothing but trouble, in my experience. (Had one split right in half while changing a flat in subzero weather. What should have been a 20 minute job turned into a tow and expensive bill.)

Also, I have to say that whatever shop caused that damage is not so good. They could have welded a socket on to the ends to break them free without causing any damage. Sounds like they made things right, though, so that’s good.

My $0.02 - toss those anti-theft lugs in the trash.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
It looks like they worked as they are supposed to? I can't believe they butchered your wheels like that instead of requiring you to provide a key that fit (or rummaging through the bucket of the 16 different kinds of keys for Jeep locks most places carry...). Wonder why you had a mismatched spare key, that's unfortunate. Glad they made it right monetarily, even if it was a PITA.

Sponsored

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
A mechanic friend showed me just how easy locking lugs are to remove.

Deep impact socket one size too small. Bang it on with a hammer and remove with impact gun.

Adds 2 minutes to the process.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I just can not believe the damage caused by such ignorance. Even the smallest of tire shops should have the proper tools to remove locking lug nuts without the key.

stripped-lug-nut-sockets.jpg

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
If they didnt have the right sockets they should have simply welded a nut on. I hate locking lug nuts. Really bad if u live where they put salt on roads...makes them weaken even faster.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I didn’t let my dealer even put them on. On wife’s GMC, they’re in the glove compartment and not on the wheels. Nothing but trouble, in my experience. (Had one split right in half while changing a flat in subzero weather. What should have been a 20 minute job turned into a tow and expensive bill.)

Also, I have to say that whatever shop caused that damage is not so good. They could have welded a socket on to the ends to break them free without causing any damage. Sounds like they made things right, though, so that’s good.

My $0.02 - toss those anti-theft lugs in the trash.
I agree; they're garbage, both Chinese-made and American-made. And they'll fail even if you install/remove manually with the key.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The only person those stupid Mcgard style locks stop from taking wheels off is the owner. If you have these locks on your jeep remove them and throw them in the trash. Either get gorilla lugs or dont bother at all.
Sponsored