Sponsored

Anti-spin differential rear axle upgrade?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I do not plan on doing any off-roading. I live in the city with heavy traffic and plan to do all pavement driving. I am ordering a 2020 Sport S two door. How would the Anti-spin differential rear axle upgrade work with my daily driving? Is it pointless?

EDIT: Is it good to have If I want to upgrade with bigger or all terrain tires?
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I do not plan on doing any off-roading. I live in the city with heavy traffic and plan to do all pavement driving. I am ordering a 2020 Sport S two door. How would the Anti-spin differential rear axle upgrade work with my daily driving? Is it pointless?

Short answer: it won't do much for dry pavement driving, but could help in rain/snow. It will not limit tire size, although you should always have the same size spare tire with a limited slip differential.

If you want to know more about how they function, see this post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...i-spin-diff-question.27302/page-2#post-647885

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
if you go the LSD on the sport, you will get thelarger upgraded rear axle, LSD and better all terrain tires, worth 595$

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

If you plan to go with bigger tires absolutely get the anti slip package so you get the D44 rear end. That alone makes it worth it.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
...and unless they've changed something for '20 (let's hope) you'll get a rotational knocking noise from the crappy LSD wearing clutch plates and your Jeep can sit in the shop for a month at a time.

Given that the OP states she lives in the city and will not be doing any 'wheeling a D44 rear isn't necessary. Will it help resale? Probably a little, if you buy your vehicles with that mindset (I don't)

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Incidentally all LSD's are using clutch plates (if we avoid the weeds with discussion of Auburn and the like) and so eventually they all stop doing anything more than a standard open diff.

So, if in 5 years you decide to start 'wheeling the odds that your limited grip is doing much of anything special are low....

Again, I agree that a D44 rear is nice - really I do. But given the fact that they've been having considerable problems with the LSD's to date (allegedly the new design is coming in Nov - and note I'm just repeating what was repeated here) and OP has zero need for it, I'd seriously consider just ordering the standard D35 or M186 or whatever and get an open diff which is far more likely to never have problems with stock tires and street driving

Blasphemy I know...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Think back to your driving over the last few years. Have you encountered many situations where your tires slipped trying to get traction? That is the only case where ASD would help.

Even with 33-35 inch tires you will be fine with Dana 35, and open diffs are simpler and cheaper.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Asking for a friend with LSD rear who I wheel a ton with: once the clutch plates wear are they end user replaceable or does it always end up in a long warranty repair with full axle replacement?

Can you delete the LSD and add a locker to this LSD D44?

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Asking for a friend with LSD rear who I wheel a ton with: once the clutch plates wear are they end user replaceable or does it always end up in a long warranty repair with full axle replacement?

Can you delete the LSD and add a locker to this LSD D44?
ARB makes a locker specifically for the non Rubicon m220 open or limited slip. I'm planning to replace my limited slip with it when I regear.

The trash-lok should be serviceable but I'm not finding any listings for parts. I am somewhat Google challenged though.
Sponsored