Sponsored

Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Options?

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe, 2022 Rubicon 4xe
Example in the Offroad version of the MK Platform (compass & patriot) You could control the aggressiveness of the BLD system. In the non aggressive mode you would be stuck and the system would not apply enough power to get through some obstacles. In the aggressive mode it would "lock" the wheels that were spinning and transfer power across. It worked quite well.

So again all i'm saying is that without the BLD the LSD would be not much use on the JL or other platforms.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Ok so LSD transfers power to the tire that has traction.

BLD does not transfer power to the tire that has traction?

The difference between my formed opinion is based on testing and trail experience from the following jeeps.

FDII Patriot
FDII Compass
Active Drive 2 Cherokee KL
Trailhawk Cherokee KL
WK2 Grand Cherokee with Quadra Drive 2

All i'm saying is if the LSD works so much better and different than BLD make a video and prove it
I dont have to prove you anything because you dont understand how it works and rely on youtube videos.

BLD does try to transfer power to the tire that has traction. It TRIES. the computer has to sense loss of traction, your tire has to spin for the computer to make the decision to transfer torque. Then it applies the brakes the the spinning tire, that tire will STOP spinning for a bit and then you'll get short burst of torque to the tire that has traction. All of this takes time, your momentum is GONE, your tire is already spinning and the other one has 0 torque before BLD kicks in. You are on a 25~30 degree hill, loose rocks, and your jeeps suspension is flexed. You WILL be stuck. You need that momentum, and that little short burst of torque is not gonna cut it.

with LSD you are moving a 3~5MPH, you have some momentum going, your tires are on the ground, flexed. Your tires always have traction, both will spin more akin to a true locker. If you do flex enough that you get out of the torque bias band then you are stuck. Your BLD does all it needs to do and then that little burst of torque gets multiplied by the LSD, gives you just enough to move a few inches, then you have enough traction to get on the torque-bias band and you keep moving.

The LSD not only gives you benefits the BLD alone wont provide, it also acts as a torque multiplier making your BLD more aggressive than it is without the LSD.

LSD and BLD are not the same unit. They are quite different.

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand 100% how it works, but I don't understand how you think LSD is some mystical amazingly device that makes a BLD equipped vehicle handle terribly. I've wheeled lots and I know exactly how the vehicle works and have likely tested it out more than you have. if i had a trac Lok jeep I'd be doing the tests to show the difference but I guess that's too much to ask of you, why not show the difference to further prove your point?

I've never had unpredictable BLD behavior on my other jeeps. Speaking of being on a hill and then being stuck........

here is an example of how BLD doesn't work well in high range 4x4 because the BLD system takes too much torque to try and spin the tire that has traction....but then when using it in low range the torque multiplication makes it happen.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well i've presented an opinion and used some videos to better show explain what i'm talking about, you haven't shown anything other than an opinion and nothing else to back it u[.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well i've presented an opinion and used some videos to better show explain what i'm talking about, you haven't shown anything other than an opinion and nothing else to back it u[.
Nah. All you did was contradict yourself and show videos of cars going through dirt roads.

Then you mention how BLD works better on 4lo than 4hi because of the torque multiplier. But then you seem to ignore the fact that LSD also acts as a torque multiplier, making BLD work even better. But nah. According to you, BLD and LSD are the same....

Youre all over the place my man. Go have a beer.

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
BOYS! Boys!....
2 Things- 1) maybe you can agree to disagree; 2) you don't have to be 100% right and if you're not, it doesn't mean you're 100% wrong. Tyler feels BLD does just fine on it's own & entropy feels both are a great combo. These are opinions, and you're allowed to have your own. You've both made your case.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
BOYS! Boys!....
2 Things- 1) maybe you can agree to disagree; 2) you don't have to be 100% right and if you're not, it doesn't mean you're 100% wrong. Tyler feels BLD does just fine on it's own & entropy feels both are a great combo. These are opinions, and you're allowed to have your own. You've both made your case.
I agree with you and I agree to disagree with tyler.

Anyone buying a non-rubicon should seriously consider checking that box, not only for the limited slip but the better axle. And if you already bought your Jeep and didn't check that box, don't sweat it. Your Jeep is pretty capable and you are not missing out on THAT much extra capability. BLD should be enough for a lot of folks and LSD just adds that little extra capability.

I do agree with Tyler somewhat that it isn't a huge deal breaker.

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from the person that thought a rear axle fluid change almost turned their lsd into a locker......I'll be sure to look to you for advice on differentials.

Too bad you can't go make a video and prove me wrong, Like I said all along LSD is nothing special on these vehicles, there is a reason they are called trash lock and the clutches like to wear out quick, but you keep praising your LSD, i'll just enjoy my BLD when I don't have the lockers engaged on my Rubicon

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Coming from the person that thought a rear axle fluid change almost turned their lsd into a locker......I'll be sure to look to you for advice on differentials.
An exaggerated comment I must have made in older days that probably shouldn't be taken literally. I am still learning. And God no, my LSD is not even remotely close to a locker. I do remember feeling improved performance when I first changed my rear fluid. Most probably caused by placebo effect, but who knows. Maybe I'll wake up to a trashed LSD because the new fluid didn't have enough LSD modifier in it.

Apparently I am getting a background check now lol.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
If they had offered the option, I would have gotten it as, yeah !!!, it would be easily worth it
Limited RHD options, 20 years ago the only options were a block heater and a cigarette lighter - at least options improved a bit for us
I suppose we'll have to stick to the bunny trails 🤷‍♂️

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This guy....lol...

That's awesome. With the kind of trails you hit, BLD should be plenty for you.
You make it sound like having LSD and BLD is the best thing since sliced bread.......you are the only person i've ever ran in to that praises the lord for LSD and tries to throw shade to BLD but accuse me of only having an opinion when you also have nothing more than an opinion and can't show any real world examples of the LSD making a big difference vs not having it.

So you are telling me a Wrangler with LSD vs one without would be extremely noticeable in difficult offroad situations?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So this dance is still going???

FWIW I'm glad the JL has the BLD, better than just open differentials w/ no help, and it works pretty good in some cases, but many cases it's not as effective as a true traction aid differential.

CharlieVictor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, 4XE, Tacoma
Let me cast another vote for the LSD. It is probably better than the BLD alone, and its operation will usually be transparent. I'm preparing to order a new Rubicon, and while it comes with locking axles, I kind of wish that the rear was able to be a LSD since that seems likely to be more useful in daily use. As I understand it, the Rubicon's locking axles only work in 4L below 10mph. All other times, they're just open differentials. Alas, as far as I know, this is not an option.
Sponsored