Sponsored

Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle a good value for the money in Northeast?

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Hi fellow JL SportS owners, could someone please explain whether the $595 option "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" is a good value for the money? I know it includes a LSD, rear Dana 44 and all terrain tires, however I am a newbie in Jeep world, and not sure if these are "MUST" have or not. Living in north east, there are maybe about 4-7 snow storms every winter. I will probably have one or two light offroad drives per year, I am not expecting to put on lift or other large modifications either. So...... is it worth getting this option, or would a cold weather package also $595 (for Manual transmission) offers a better value for me if I had to choose between them? Speaking of resale, which of the two options are more attractive to potential buyers?

The axles upgrade seems to be a popular option, and I don't want to be the only uneducated SportS owner who didn't jump on this deal.
Any insights are much appreciated!
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'd probably go with Cold Weather Group. BLD does a rather decent job and since you're not going offroad much I think having a warm steering wheel and seats would be the better choice. I'd imagine your average consumer has no idea what LSD even do but will see heated seats and want it, so Cold Group would have a better resale value.

Reactions: zyt

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Hi fellow JL SportS owners, could someone please explain whether the $595 option "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" is a good value for the money? I know it includes a LSD, rear Dana 44 and all terrain tires, however I am a newbie in Jeep world, and not sure if these are "MUST" have or not. Living in north east, there are maybe about 4-7 snow storms every winter. I will probably have one or two light offroad drives per year, I am not expecting to put on lift or other large modifications either. So...... is it worth getting this option, or would a cold weather package also $595 (for Manual transmission) offers a better value for me if I had to choose between them? Speaking of resale, which of the two options are more attractive to potential buyers?

The axles upgrade seems to be a popular option, and I don't want to be the only uneducated SportS owner who didn't jump on this deal.
Any insights are much appreciated!
Thank you. Great question! Yes, 100% the anti spin is a great value for what you are getting. Not for resale, for where you live and what you are looking to buy/do. The anti-spin will not only help in the winter but also in the rainy rest of the year where you live. Things like anti-spin and cold weather group arenā€™t, for the most part, clickable options when we are looking at a trade. The heated seats probably add $100. But, we are looking at a new purchase. The value you will get out of these options will pay for themselves in year 1.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
The axle upgrade itself is probably worth it if you are selling to someone smart on jeeps. The Dana 35 has a reputation to work off and most have long memories.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
The D35ā€™s in YJs were C-clip, and were junk. The fact that you get a D44 as an upgrade with the LSD option likely makes it worth the money. IMO, modern traction control has negated the benefit of a LSD, and may be better in many circumstances.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
If you don't plan on going off roading, skip it. Nobody is going to buy a sport for serious off roading.
That last part is debatable, but regardless if the plan is to later sell the Jeep to the majority of Wrangler (Sport, Sahara, Rubicon) buying public who don't off-road, then the cold weather package (heated seats and that sort of stuff?) would probably help resale value more than the upgraded rear axle. And the current owner would probably get more value out of it in daily usage if not off-roading

If I go Sport and the Dana 44 proves significantly more robust than the stock Dana 35 axle, then I will for sure spring for the anti-spin option (Dana 44). But I'll be off-roading in the Rockies, Moab, etc. A rear axle typically takes more of the abuse, such as when climbing with weight transfer and hitting throttle, so a stronger rear axle is nice to have.

Regarding the anti-spin aspect. In the past if one rear wheel breaks loose, then power goes to that one wheel, and driver goes nowhere. Anti-spin directs some of that power to the other wheel having more traction. That can be both good and bad depending on the situation, but generally good. How anti-spin interplays these days with electronic brake actuated traction control, I don't have much experience with that.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Nobody is going to buy a sport for serious off roading.
Guess I am old enough where I remember people laughing at these super optioned wonders, and getting your real off roader was buying a not running 4x4 putting in a new tricked out engine, axles, suspension, massive tires. I had a guy laugh at me one time when I bought an old truck, 2 weeks later he refused to believe it was same vehicle.

Rubicon is one of the best factor built turn key 4x4s for sure, but guys paying cash for the sport have 30k to toss on for stuff. You might get wrecked with that logic.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Do the LSD.

OP
OP
zyt

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Thank you everyone. This is extremely helpful. I agree that cold weather is more practical, it's a benefit that myself and other causal drivers can actually use. On the other hand, we probably won't notice the axle upgrade everyday. Coming back to my original question, I'm going to get the cold weather, BUT the axle upgrade seems to be such a good deal for $500. I'm now convinced it worth the money, and I will get both options.
Happy holidays and let the wait begin!

Sponsored

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
So Iā€™ve read that this is a clutch type and wears quickly and easily. Given selectrac and bld is there Any reason to get the lsd? Is the axle alone worth it even if lsd wears out quickly? Is the clutch repair an expensive job?
I plan on keeping my Jeep for the long haul. My 4Runner hit 190K and got totaled but was planning to keep it until it died mechanically. Iā€™m confused about this option.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Does the gear ratio go to 3:73 from the stock 3:45 with the LSD upgrade ? I sure hope so, that alone would be worth it. I ordered 3:73s on my 2015 Sport, a must in my opinion, for running 32s.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Does the gear ratio go to 3:73 from the stock 3:45 with the LSD upgrade ? I sure hope so, that alone would be worth it. I ordered 3:73s on my 2015 Sport, a must in my opinion, for running 32s.
I have not seen the 3.73 ratio offered for the JL anywhere. Did I miss something? Remember, you would need 3.73 front and rear so I doubt the LSD option includes 3.73.

I am curious why Jeep includes the upgraded rear axle with the LSD. The LSD must require a larger ring gear and larger pumpkin of the Dana 44 axle.

Also remember the JL has new transmission ratios so 3.45 is most likely similar to 3.73 final drive ratio. Stock sport and saharah tires are 32" from the factory.

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
You don't need a 3.73 gear ratio with these new transmissions. Drive ratios are better now with the 3.45 gear. Here is the numbers. Auto trans JK 3.59(1st gear)x 3.73(axle ratio)=13.39. JL auto 4.71(1st gear)x 3.45(axle ratio)= 16.24. Manual JK 4.46(1st gear)x 3.73(axle ratio)= 16.63. JL manual 5.13(1st gear)x 3.45(axle ratio)= 17.69. Let's do crawl ratios. Both drive ratios multiplied by transfer case ratio. Auto JK 36.42 JL 44.17
Manual 45.23 Manual JL 48.11. Numbers show you that a 3.45 axle ratio in the JL is better than a 3.73 in a JK. These are Sport and Sahara numbers. Rubicon would be different from the 4.10 axle and 4:1 transfer case

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
Adding the LSD option forces the upgraded wheels which ends up being a 1500$ option. Not cheap.
Sponsored