Sponsored

Anti-spin axle vs not anti-spin axle?

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
What are the real world differences in getting the anti-spin axle verses not getting it? Will trail riding or light hill climbing require the anti-spin axle, or is light to medium offroading possible without the anti-spin axle?
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
What are the real world differences in getting the anti-spin axle verses not getting it? Will trail riding or light hill climbing require the anti-spin axle, or is light to medium offroading possible without the anti-spin axle?
Without the limited slip differential you'll have a Dana 35 rear axle, with the automatic transmission. Light to medium off roading is perfectly reasonable with this setup, as the BLD acts as an advanced form of off road traction control to limit the amount of wheel slipping. Generally this setup only comes with HT tires which are fine for light trails but you'll want to look into ATs if you're going on more difficult terrain. I wouldn't recommend up-sizing tires with this setup.

With the Limited Slip Differential you'll get a Dana 44 rear axle and AT tires from the factory. I really don't know how much more effective this is over the BLD but I think it behaves a little differently. I would feel a little more comfortable up-sizing tires a little bit but you'll still have a Dana 30 up front so I wouldn't go too big.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently there are some troubles with the limited slip rear, requiring replacement of the innards every 30-50k miles or so. There's a thread somewhere about it.

OP
OP
Lightsped

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Haven't heard of any troubles regarding anti-spin axle.

I may put some Rubicon sized tires, but no larger. Just wasn't sure how durable the standard axles are regarding light to moderate trail riding. Not interested in rock climbing.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

I may put some Rubicon sized tires, but no larger. Just wasn't sure how durable the standard axles are regarding light to moderate trail riding. Not interested in rock climbing.
They're pretty good right out of the box, and rubi takeoffs will do fine with either axle option.

Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Apparently there are some troubles with the limited slip rear, requiring replacement of the innards every 30-50k miles or so. There's a thread somewhere about it.
Never heard that. My 08 JKU had a Dana 44 with limited slip and was fine for the 120,000 miles I owned it. The last couple of years of ownership it had an LS 5.3L 320 hp engine and 6L80 transmission. It was good enough to take me anywhere I was brave enough to go. It had been a few gnarly places where I had tires in the air and still got me through.

The only thing I did to it was run Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140 gear lube and change it about every 25,000 miles.

Wch_chip

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2020 JT LE

I have some Rubicon take offs you can take off my hands.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
You definitely want to step up to the anti-spin option for the sole reason of getting the bigger D44 rear axle.

Yes, the anti-spin will help off-road, but it isn't a true locker, just a limited slip, meaning it will help limit tire slip, not eliminate it.

They work by sensing the difference in tire loading between the left and right tire and send power to the tire with the least amount of loading. So you could end up with a tire that is unloading and starting to spin, the anti-slip senses it and sends all the power to that tire, causing it to spin more. You are then essentially an open differential.

You can fool the limited-slip a little by applying the brakes slightly (foot or hand brake) to make it feel that it has the same amount of loading between the two tires. This also works with an open differential (two-foot driving).

If you find yourself spending more time off-road and doing more challenging trails, you'll eventually find yourself wanting true locking differentials. Having the bigger and stronger D44 axle would be the better starting point for any sort of upgrades.

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
It's a good idea to specify the LSD vs OPEN, because the (as said) anti-slip will help some (above) the open diff-and on-road--

On the hiwy/town driving, the LSD will be beneficial for slick/rain/mud/snow on the roads--

Just don't letit goto our head I HAVE LSD in my jeep SAHARA and my HEMI RAM--can't beatit !

W.E.

JIMBO

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It is a very cheap option for what you get. the dana 44 and much better tires, the LSD works well and it is a plus. Is it a true locker? nah, is it better than regular open diffs? absolutely.

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
For the posters saying they didn't hear of any issues with the anti spin diff - here's 51 pages of reading for you:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/

That being said, I was always a proponent of a limited slip and specifically searched out a JL equipped with it when I purchased (before I knew of the issues). If you not doing any real serious wheelin, go with the stock sport axles and do the Rubicon takeoff springs / tires / wheels for a cheap, well performing and good looking upgrade.

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

The maintenance issue with the LSD that comes in the jeep is that it uses clutches to force torque to the non wheel spinning axle. Those clutches will wear out and the quicker the more you force them to act. 50,000 miles before needing a rebuild is a figure I've heard but don't know whether that is with heavy off road use or just normal wear. Their is a 'Torson' LSD design that doesn't use clutches and supposedly good for life but that's not what you get from Jeep. The Detroit TruTrac diff. is the most popular Torson LSD but they don't make one for a JLU differential which is too bad.

LSD's are best for street driving on wet/snow covered roads as they will maintain traction and control where a locked axle may cause handling difficulties and an open diff. just won't get you going. If your JLU is going to be in snow country and not used for challenging rock climbing you would probably be happier with an LSD of whatever type is available.
Sponsored