Anti-Rust For Exterior Mods

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
I bought a front bumper and a side step for my JL Rubicon. My JK bumper and side steps rusted after a year. I live in Canada so there is a lot of salt on the roads. What anti-rust spray do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a spray that doesn't change the finish of the bumper. Not sure if there is a such a thing but basically a colourless spray that can be applied to prevent the bumper from rusting early?
Sponsored

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
I bought a front bumper and a side step for my JL Rubicon. My JK bumper and side steps rusted after a year. I live in Canada so there is a lot of salt on the roads. What anti-rust spray do you guys recommend? I'm looking for a spray that doesn't change the finish of the bumper. Not sure if there is a such a thing but basically a colourless spray that can be applied to prevent the bumper from rusting early?
Clear semi-gloss or matt UV protective topcoat, many good brands to accomplish that. Use 320 grit to prep, wash n degrease and coat. This is for non-rusted preservation.

For rusted I used a palm sander with 60 grit sand paper, Wash n degrease, Por metal prep, Por 15 coating and 3 coats of rust-oleum semi-gloss black.

An easy way out would be 2 coats of Rust-oleum rust converster with a clear coat on top.

Change out your hardware to stainless and don't forget SS anti-seize on the large bolts.