COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Hi all,
I didn’t find anyone else discussed this in here. Sorry if there is an existing thread about this.

I know the best mounting location is the roof. But if I haven’t had the roof rack, can I mount it on the front steel bumper, or on the rear door is better?

what size of antenna should I choose? 2.1dBi, 3.3dBi or 6.6dBi?
I saw GME has a 4wd pack, which come with 2.1dBi antenna.
Any thoughts?

thanks.
Sponsored

nermzzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel
Any thoughts?

thanks.
Hey mate,

As a general rule of thumb the higher the dbi gain the better for long range flat ground reception (these will usually also be longer whip antennas).
Lower dbi better for bush where you dont have line of site (usually shorted antennas).
so i guess, depends on what you want out of it.

My suggestion would be getting both if spring mounting, then swap and change between the 2 antennas as you see fit using that same base.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Hi all,
I didn’t find anyone else discussed this in here. Sorry if there is an existing thread about this.

I know the best mounting location is the roof. But if I haven’t had the roof rack, can I mount it on the front steel bumper, or on the rear door is better?

Any thoughts?

thanks.
I have the GME xrs370 pack with the 2.1 antenna and its fine for everything i need. Granted my antenna is mounted on the roof so i get pretty good coverage. But most of radio use would be out 4wding or in a convoy. so I cant see needing a longer range antenna as it is. I mean, its easy enough to change them out as needed as the antenna screws off the base spring.

As for mounting on the steel bar, you can do that. Ive seen someone here in NSW mount it on the steel bar in front of the left head light (or just off to the side of the headlight) and ive also seen another guy mount the antenna on top of the passenger Fender with a bracket.

Though if you werent mounting it on the roof. I would personally buy a bracket to mount it on the rear door.

davejkenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll be fine with either of the GME 4wd kits if this is what you’ve been looking at. They are both at the top end of the price range but are easy to instal and use.

I went with the tailgate mount and find no issues with it in the bush or on roads.

7C914613-F5B2-4E58-8CE0-35AB37599856.jpeg

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Also GME XRS370, with the 2.1 in the kit and the 6.6 included in the special deal. Tend to use the short 2.1 most of the time.
I created a simple angle bracket which bolts to the chassis rail using one of the existing bumper bracket bolts. Added the GME hinge unit, so the antenna lays flat across the top of the bar when I need it out of the way.
Also added a wire between the bonnet and the firewall to assist with the ground plane. Based on theory, I haven't tested it without to see if it makes any difference.
Jeep Wrangler JL Antenna size and mounts IMG_0331.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
COKENOGOOD

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I have the GME xrs370 pack with the 2.1 antenna and its fine for everything i need. Granted my antenna is mounted on the roof so i get pretty good coverage. But most of radio use would be out 4wding or in a convoy. so I cant see needing a longer range antenna as it is. I mean, its easy enough to change them out as needed as the antenna screws off the base spring.

As for mounting on the steel bar, you can do that. Ive seen someone here in NSW mount it on the steel bar in front of the left head light (or just off to the side of the headlight) and ive also seen another guy mount the antenna on top of the passenger Fender with a bracket.

Though if you werent mounting it on the roof. I would personally buy a bracket to mount it on the rear door.
Could you share a photo about where you mount the device? Just want to get some ideas.

I saw CB bar, glove box, etc.

OP
OP
COKENOGOOD

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
You’ll be fine with either of the GME 4wd kits if this is what you’ve been looking at. They are both at the top end of the price range but are easy to instal and use.

I went with the tailgate mount and find no issues with it in the bush or on roads.

Looks so nice

OP
OP
COKENOGOOD

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Also GME XRS370, with the 2.1 in the kit and the 6.6 included in the special deal. Tend to use the short 2.1 most of the time.
I created a simple angle bracket which bolts to the chassis rail using one of the existing bumper bracket bolts. Added the GME hinge unit, so the antenna lays flat across the top of the bar when I need it out of the way.
Also added a wire between the bonnet and the firewall to assist with the ground plane. Based on theory, I haven't tested it without to see if it makes any difference.
That’s a good idea too.

echo17

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I use the GME XRS 330 with the 6.6db antenna and purchased the 15cm 2.1db shortie as that's only $20. I use the 2.1 around town and the 6.6 raised antenna when I travel. You won't get use of the 12db unless it's really flat ground. I'll post photos later for reference. Oh, and I attached it to the tire carrier. No real issues there.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Could you share a photo about where you mount the device? Just want to get some ideas.

I saw CB bar, glove box, etc.
This is where i mounted the antenna on the roof.. its the best pic i had from start of the year, but im sure you get the idea of it.. cable passes through the roof.

2020-02-23 10.23.27.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
COKENOGOOD

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
where do you hide the black block?

Jayphil

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
RN
Im looking at getting the GME 4wd pack also. Hoping the little console box can be hidden in the glove box for a clean cabin.

OP
OP
COKENOGOOD

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Im looking at getting the GME 4wd pack also. Hoping the little console box can be hidden in the glove box for a clean cabin.
Not sure about JL, I saw someone hides it in the glove box in JK

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
I found there is a large enough gap to the right of the glovebox under the dash. I didn't secure it with any brackets. It just tucks away nicely and hasn't moved. Remove the glovebox and you will see what I mean. The beauty of having all the controls in the microphone. I then ran the extension comms cable from the box and mounted the socket on the drivers side of the centre consol in a position where my leg wouldn't hit it. The microphone then plugs into this socket allowing easy removal when not being used. I mounted the magnetic microphone base just to the left of the radios on/off button.

Jayphil

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
RN
I found there is a large enough gap to the right of the glovebox under the dash. I didn't secure it with any brackets. It just tucks away nicely and hasn't moved. Remove the glovebox and you will see what I mean. The beauty of having all the controls in the microphone. I then ran the extension comms cable from the box and mounted the socket on the drivers side of the centre consol in a position where my leg wouldn't hit it. The microphone then plugs into this socket allowing easy removal when not being used. I mounted the magnetic microphone base just to the left of the radios on/off button.
Could you share a photo of or set-up?
Sponsored