Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody have a setup with the reinforcement bracket utilizing the 1/2 in. hole? I've ordered some stuff and will be attempting soon. Also looking for suggestions to ground the antenna with this method. My thoughts are to sand away some of the powder coat on the bottom of the bracket hole where the bolt makes contact (and utilize the bracket as a ground). OR run a grounding strap (going to have to be pretty long) in through the tailgate along with the coax to a bolt somewhere in the back tub or rear side to get to the frame.

bracket.jpeg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

2b12da6d40ad6768d44ec23c11f89d6c.jpg
Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
More than just grounding the antenna, you'll want to do extensive bonding between the reinforced hinge, the tailgate, the rest of the body, the frame, etc.

For a technical overview, read this: http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html

Let us know how it works!

JLURnoob

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
SHAP Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at this spot for a viable antenna mounting point but the tab on the bracket is too thick. All of the Firestick mounts I could find would not work with that much metal. Too hard to countersink it with hand tools and still make it look good. So I went old school with mine, solid, already grounded, and when someone comes up with a better solution all I need is a 1/2" press in plug.

IMG_20180715_122754~2.jpg

OP
OP
aCeMedic13

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at this spot for a viable antenna mounting point but the tab on the bracket is too thick. All of the Firestick mounts I could find would not work with that much metal. Too hard to countersink it with hand tools and still make it look good. So I went old school with mine, solid, already grounded, and when someone comes up with a better solution all I need is a 1/2" press in plug.

Ugh. Not what I was hoping for. I ended up ordering a cool tech mount.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon

There has got to be a way to make that mounting point work, it's to nice and it cost a small fortune.

Sponsored

JLURnoob

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
SHAP Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
There has got to be a way to make that mounting point work, it's to nice and it cost a small fortune.
About 2 days after I did this a guy in another post bought a longer bolt and made the reinforcement bracket work. He even posted the part number from home depot. Seek and ye shall find.

DBROKL

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
About 2 days after I did this a guy in another post bought a longer bolt and made the reinforcement bracket work. He even posted the part number from home depot. Seek and ye shall find.
I just swapped out for a slightly longer bolt. Works fine

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Sorry to bump a very old thread but I have the MOPAR reinforcement kit and want to mount a Firestik to it. I ordered this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002HRBSU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but the post is not long enough to get through the hole on the reinforcement kit. I’ve looked for versions of the mounting stud that are longer but haven’t found anything. I don’t want to drill the mount location but I don’t have any other options right now. The mounting hole on this kit is stupidly thick for no apparent reason other than aesthetics.

cdq34

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 JKUR
Sorry to bump a very old thread but I have the MOPAR reinforcement kit and want to mount a Firestik to it. I ordered this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002HRBSU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but the post is not long enough to get through the hole on the reinforcement kit. I’ve looked for versions of the mounting stud that are longer but haven’t found anything. I don’t want to drill the mount location but I don’t have any other options right now. The mounting hole on this kit is stupidly thick for no apparent reason other than aesthetics.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ement-and-cb-antenna-mount.18719/#post-458815
Read this thread and then let me know if you have any more questions. This worked for me. I believe the mounting hole is that thick for strength because it is cast aluminum to keep the weight down?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had already bought a cable and wasn’t ready to buy a new one just for this mount since I’ll only use it on trail rides, so I bought a piece of metal strap from Lowe’s and drilled out the hole a bit to fit the antenna, cut it to size and attached it to the tailgate reinforcement. I need to clean it up, round the edges and paint the top black but I think it will work for now. Cost was a little over $2.

Waiting on the SWR meter to arrive so I can tune it but I think it should work.

A little redneck engineering. :rock:

DFCF7C54-9CAE-4C03-AF3D-CAC6CE83A4C5.jpeg
6ECF8E0E-1811-4DF0-985F-51AEA2234B4B.jpeg

jazzBox

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I have a 5/8" uhf antenna connector which won't fit in the reinforced tailgate.

Did anyone need to drill it out?
Sponsored