Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hi all

I have read all the bumper threads with interest.

Does anyone have a list - or can they point me in the right direction - for front bumper choices that I can select from that have been homologated and legal in UK?

*Jeep you really need to support EU/UK customers with accessories and parts especially seeing as Land Rover are making a massive thing about dealer or factory fit accessories for the new defender*

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
You’ll find it very difficult, if not impossible, to find a CE marked bumper.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Thanks. How does that work insurance wise?
I declared two steel bumpers, a winch etc to my insurer (Adrian Flux) with no difficulties. iirc they added a little under £100 to my premium. You won’t fail an MOT either because, currently, the bumpers aren’t part of the test.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Elementad

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
There is a jeep dealer selling a brand new Rubicon (Silver) on autotrader with modified front bumper amongst others.

whilst I am not looking at that one just wondered how it works if they are fitted by a dealer.

I am totally unclear about if they can be fitted or not.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
If you look at Jeepey’s site they sell aftermarket bumpers as ‘for off road use only’ or somesuch. They are not homologated in the EU. However as I stated before mine have been accepted by my insurer (maybe I got lucky and others might differ, I don’t know) and they will not be a problem in an MOT situation.

I’m not sure where else a problem is going to arise. There are plenty of old style Defenders on our roads with steel bumpers.

OP
OP
Elementad

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
There is a jeep dealer selling a brand new Rubicon (Silver)
If you look at Jeepey’s site they sell aftermarket bumpers as ‘for off road use only’ or somesuch. They are not homologated in the EU. However as I stated before mine have been accepted by my insurer (maybe I got lucky and others might differ, I don’t know) and they will not be a problem in an MOT situation.

I’m not sure where else a problem is going to arise. There are plenty of old style Defenders on our roads with steel bumpers.
I guess if it passes MOT, insurers insure and dealers fit as part of new sale then it’s fine.
I’m on the look out for styles that I like.

in terms of front bumper design, some cover the area near the shocks more than others. Does anyone have any road experience with those?
Are they more likely to let nasty winter salts blasted from motorway miles on the chassis etc, maybe more stone chips, or not a problem?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
There is a jeep dealer selling a brand new Rubicon (Silver)

I guess if it passes MOT, insurers insure and dealers fit as part of new sale then it’s fine.
I’m on the look out for styles that I like.

in terms of front bumper design, some cover the area near the shocks more than others. Does anyone have any road experience with those?
Are they more likely to let nasty winter salts blasted from motorway miles on the chassis etc, maybe more stone chips, or not a problem?
I’m not sure any will offer more or less protection from stone chips. I have some chips on the leading edge of the door hinges but they’re a result of fitting bigger tyres.

If your majority use is on the roads I think a full width bumper makes more sense from a protection point of view.

I got a stubby because it’s better for climbing stuff...

Jeep Wrangler JL Another UK bumper thread 821BADA2-9242-424E-9ABC-383D4E2A74C4
Jeep Wrangler JL Another UK bumper thread 1E756D9C-B484-425C-899D-058342053339

Sponsored

OP
OP
Elementad

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I’m not sure any will offer more or less protection from stone chips. I have some chips on the leading edge of the door hinges but they’re a result of fitting bigger tyres.

If your majority use is on the roads I think a full width bumper makes more sense from a protection point of view.

I got a stubby because it’s better for climbing stuff...

Looks good

OP
OP
Elementad

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Another question regarding to the “mopar” look.

The steel version is obviously the better option. Only downside is the weight penalty and cost, but it doesn’t matter.
I see the US Rubicon comes with the PLASTIC version which looks exactly same.... just plastic.
For those that just want to remove the ugliness of the UK plastic bumper does anyone know if the US plastic version is available anywhere in the UK with the red tow hooks
I would actually be happy with that and in theory should be cheaper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Another UK bumper thread 4E9A45FA-18AB-4E9B-B06F-B003EE9D7CE4
question about the Chinese/polish mopar copy if anyone has one. How do you find the quality and also does the winch attach direct to it or direct to chassis (sorry I am new to this). Just checking that a copy would be strong enough steel grade for any future accessories. If I go the steel route I want it to be future proof.

thanks

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Another question regarding to the “mopar” look.

The steel version is obviously the better option. Only downside is the weight penalty and cost, but it doesn’t matter.
I see the US Rubicon comes with the PLASTIC version which looks exactly same.... just plastic.
For those that just want to remove the ugliness of the UK plastic bumper does anyone know if the US plastic version is available anywhere in the UK with the red tow hooks
I would actually be happy with that and in theory should be cheaper.

4E9A45FA-18AB-4E9B-B06F-B003EE9D7CE4.jpeg
question about the Chinese/polish mopar copy if anyone has one. How do you find the quality and also does the winch attach direct to it or direct to chassis (sorry I am new to this). Just checking that a copy would be strong enough steel grade for any future accessories. If I go the steel route I want it to be future proof.

thanks
I don’t know for certain but it seems unlikely you’ll find a US plastic bumper here.

The Mopar steel bumper needs a separate winch plate to mount a winch so presumably the copy is the same. That might also be difficult to find in the U.K.

Like this...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rustys-offroad/winch-mount-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl

Edit to add...

Some bumpers are winch ready in that they have a provision for mounting a winch. (They come with a standard bolt mounting pattern). The Mopar bumper is one that doesn’t
Sponsored