Another Owner Throws in the Towel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Well it was a very difficult decision to make but I am no longer a Jeep owner (Still own a liberty but that doesn’t count). I have been doing a lot of thinking over the last month about my current Jeep, the future of Stellantis, the longevity of the Diesel motor, abhorrent dealer service, and my future needs. With that, I decided to unload my Jeep while I still could and went back to a Toyota (Boring and reliable, just like me). I purchased a 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro (like New) with 19K miles (A True Unicorn with that mileage).

The unfortunate part is I purchased it from a Jeep dealer, and the experience was horrible, not surprisingly. This only solidified my decision to hopefully never have to deal with another Jeep dealer as long as I am still above ground. I’m sure there is a circle of hell where people are forever waiting for an appointment only to perpetually have the dealer never fix their issue.

I was fully prepared to walk out several times since it's not like I needed to get rid of it. Trying to get them to come down on the price of the Tacoma and up on my trade-in was insane. The first salesman finally tapped out and brought in his manager to finish the deal, who wasn’t much better. I told him I was not asking for much because in the end, I know you will put this on your lot for 60K or upper 50’s. He said he could only put it on his lot for something like 47K. Well, I checked their website yesterday and it is already listed for $58,999…..Absolute bastards.

Anyway here’s the deal. I still defend that the diesel is the best engine ever put in a Jeep. However, I was discouraged to see it discontinued because it was only out for 3 years. I don’t count the engines placed in previous GCs or Rams because when it was put in the Wrangler they virtually overhauled 75 – 80% of the engine. To me, this means parts are not necessarily compatible, and let’s face it they will forever be placed on backorder with no rush to get them. I don’t know what the total sales were for the diesel but it certainly can’t be that much meaning parts are not going to be sitting on shelves ready to be installed when you need them.

Then this brings me to the electrical issues from the charging system they must have outsourced to an 8th grader with aspirations of becoming an engineer. This is truly an embarrassment leaving the Jeep community to find hundreds of workarounds and constant troubleshooting techniques.

Every time I drove my Jeep I wondered if it would start, when the next sensor would have a nervous breakdown, are my batteries charging at the optimal rate, will the thing derate if it got too hot, why does start/stop always say not ready battery charging, will my fuel pump implode before I can find a reputable person to fix the recall, etc, etc.

All this is a shame because this has been the coolest Jeep I’ve owned, a blast to drive, and a beast off-road, but the anxiety it causes to own it knowing you are on your own should anything go wrong is just not acceptable for something this overvalued. I truly hope the Dealer I sold it to ends up having that thing in their shop on a weekly basis having to hear from the angry customer who buys it (not that there is anything wrong with it at the moment). I’m going to miss that dang Jeep, but the Tacoma is already growing on me, and the best part is there is NO START/STOP. I get in, it starts up, nothing chimes at me, and the paint isn’t bubbling anywhere either.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for all the support, and good conversation. I’ll still give ya a wave when I pass ya by.
Sponsored

John Benoit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Well it was a very difficult decision to make but I am no longer a Jeep owner (Still own a liberty but that doesn’t count). I have been doing a lot of thinking over the last month about my current Jeep, the future of Stellantis, the longevity of the Diesel motor, abhorrent dealer service, and my future needs. With that, I decided to unload my Jeep while I still could and went back to a Toyota (Boring and reliable, just like me). I purchased a 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro (like New) with 19K miles (A True Unicorn with that mileage).

The unfortunate part is I purchased it from a Jeep dealer, and the experience was horrible, not surprisingly. This only solidified my decision to hopefully never have to deal with another Jeep dealer as long as I am still above ground. I’m sure there is a circle of hell where people are forever waiting for an appointment only to perpetually have the dealer never fix their issue.

I was fully prepared to walk out several times since it's not like I needed to get rid of it. Trying to get them to come down on the price of the Tacoma and up on my trade-in was insane. The first salesman finally tapped out and brought in his manager to finish the deal, who wasn’t much better. I told him I was not asking for much because in the end, I know you will put this on your lot for 60K or upper 50’s. He said he could only put it on his lot for something like 47K. Well, I checked their website yesterday and it is already listed for $58,999…..Absolute bastards.

Anyway here’s the deal. I still defend that the diesel is the best engine ever put in a Jeep. However, I was discouraged to see it discontinued because it was only out for 3 years. I don’t count the engines placed in previous GCs or Rams because when it was put in the Wrangler they virtually overhauled 75 – 80% of the engine. To me, this means parts are not necessarily compatible, and let’s face it they will forever be placed on backorder with no rush to get them. I don’t know what the total sales were for the diesel but it certainly can’t be that much meaning parts are not going to be sitting on shelves ready to be installed when you need them.

Then this brings me to the electrical issues from the charging system they must have outsourced to an 8th grader with aspirations of becoming an engineer. This is truly an embarrassment leaving the Jeep community to find hundreds of workarounds and constant troubleshooting techniques.

Every time I drove my Jeep I wondered if it would start, when the next sensor would have a nervous breakdown, are my batteries charging at the optimal rate, will the thing derate if it got too hot, why does start/stop always say not ready battery charging, will my fuel pump implode before I can find a reputable person to fix the recall, etc, etc.

All this is a shame because this has been the coolest Jeep I’ve owned, a blast to drive, and a beast off-road, but the anxiety it causes to own it knowing you are on your own should anything go wrong is just not acceptable for something this overvalued. I truly hope the Dealer I sold it to ends up having that thing in their shop on a weekly basis having to hear from the angry customer who buys it (not that there is anything wrong with it at the moment). I’m going to miss that dang Jeep, but the Tacoma is already growing on me, and the best part is there is NO START/STOP. I get in, it starts up, nothing chimes at me, and the paint isn’t bubbling anywhere either.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for all the support, and good conversation. I’ll still give ya a wave when I pass ya by.
Good decision as Jeep doesn’t care. I am headed in a different direction myself.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I honestly love my jeeps and I have found them reliable and fun to drive.

yes the dealership experiences are painful, but most dealers for most manufactures are and that is why I don’t get extended warranties or any of that. I don’t need extra interactions with a car dealer. If I need work done outside of the base warranty I just take it to an independent shop I trust and let them take care of it.

You got rid of the Jeep you like because you don’t like the dealership experience and there are a lot of things on your Jeep that might break at some point and need to be repaired? Seems strange to me…but if you are happy then be happy.

I like my jeep a lot and I plan on buying what I like. If for some reason something happened (totaled in accident etc) I would happily buy another.

Stetson

Sponsored

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
So then you didn't need to say anything did you? I'm not looking for your concern, just thought I would contribute one last post to a community I have enjoyed.
to be fair, posting a long rant about how much jeeps suck and how unreliable (although yours has been reliable) and how crappy of a manufacturer and that is why you are getting rid of yours for a Toyota is going get that type of response from the people on here like us who happen to love our jeeps and wouldn’t consider a different brand.

OP
OP
SparkleTooth

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
to be fair, posting a long rant about how much jeeps suck and how unreliable (although yours has been reliable) and how crappy of a manufacturer and that is why you are getting rid of yours for a Toyota is going get that type of response from the people on here like us who happen to love our jeeps and wouldn’t consider a different brand.
I'm not so tone-deaf that I don't know that going into it (so thanks for stating the obvious). I've owned more Jeeps than the average current Jeep owner and have always loved the brand despite their cons. There are however some people on here who do share my same concerns and don't just blindly follow a company who clearly needs to evaluate customer concerns.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Best of luck taking the doors and top off of the Tacoma on those beautiful sunny days! ✌

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm not so tone-deaf that I don't know that going into it (so thanks for stating the obvious). I've owned more Jeeps than the average current Jeep owner and have always loved the brand despite their cons. There are however some people on here who do share my same concerns and don't just blindly follow a company who clearly needs to evaluate customer concerns.
seems pretty tone deaf to me…

Sponsored

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
So then you didn't need to say anything did you? I'm not looking for your concern, just thought I would contribute one last post to a community I have enjoyed.
Relax man, if there's one thing about this forum, you can't take it too seriously.

You'll fit right in with those Toyota guys.

😁

newbie5150

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR in Silver Zenith. Engine 3.6 Etorque.
I see both sides to this argument. I struggle with it too. I have never enjoyed a vehicle in my 51 years more than my Jeep. However, the reliability and dealer experience just suuuuuucks way worse than any other car maker I have ever dealt with. It baffles me why we can't have the best of both worlds. A unique, fun car like a Jeep with at least some of the reliability of something like a Toyota. Why does it have to be one or the other?

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

Many thanks for sharing your experience, although I'm sorry you had to get rid of your beloved Wrangler. It's a tough thing to do, but I would have probably done the same, even after decades of loyal ownership. Future supportability of a short-run, discontinued engine, coupled with poor customer service and logistical support is a significant concern, and one that has clearly escaped many current owners. Kudos to you for having the foresight to actually address it and be better prepared for the inevitable....which is already happening.

Lastly...while we all know that one should never take the forums too seriously, that doesn't make it OK for our members to respond as negatively as some have. As we continue to see here and elsewhere on social media, some people just can't help but to sling insults from behind the cozy comfort of a computer screen, which I believe says a lot about their character. Our Jeep community has always been a supportive one, even for those moving on to other vehicles, but apparently these members never got the memo. To that end, I'd at least like to wish you the best of luck with your Toyota and give you a positive sendoff. Enjoy and drive safe!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.