Sponsored

Another oil topic

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Hello all, here to talk about oil, though not in the way I see generally discussed here. On my JL I will be changing the oil according to the service life remaining on the vehicle. Long gone are the days where I would change oil every 3k miles (except my Subaru which burns enough oil by 3k miles that it needs an oil change). Like many here, I'm sure, I will be switching to a full synthetic oil once my free changes are done. My understanding is that this engine runs a semi-synthetic blend from the factory. Many of the better full synthetic oils promise a longer service life than traditional or blend oils. So my question is, how does our service life monitor work? Does it simply log your RPMs, acceleration habits etc in order to determine what it believes your oil life is? Or does it have viscosity/partical sensors that actually determine oil condition? The reason that I ask, is that run of the mil blends probably require changing much faster than say a 10-15k life synthetic oil. So if the system does not actually analyze the oil, this monitor would likely be off after switching to a higher quality oil.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hello all, here to talk about oil, though not in the way I see generally discussed here. On my JL I will be changing the oil according to the service life remaining on the vehicle. Long gone are the days where I would change oil every 3k miles (except my Subaru which burns enough oil by 3k miles that it needs an oil change). Like many here, I'm sure, I will be switching to a full synthetic oil once my free changes are done. My understanding is that this engine runs a semi-synthetic blend from the factory. Many of the better full synthetic oils promise a longer service life than traditional or blend oils. So my question is, how does our service life monitor work? Does it simply log your RPMs, acceleration habits etc in order to determine what it believes your oil life is? Or does it have viscosity/partical sensors that actually determine oil condition? The reason that I ask, is that run of the mil blends probably require changing much faster than say a 10-15k life synthetic oil. So if the system does not actually analyze the oil, this monitor would likely be off after switching to a higher quality oil.
The oil life monitors in all vehicles use an averaging algorithm. It does not analyze the fluid itself.

The algorithm takes into account idle, temp, time at operating temp, load, fuel consumption, ... all sorts of parameters.

You can use the oil life meter even after changing your oil to full synthetic.

I change mine at 5K intervals and don't pay attention to the oil life meter. That is there for people who never pay attention to their vehicle. It's a way for the MFG to get customers back into the dealership; the customers that buy the vehicles not knowing much about them. If you're on this forum, then you will likely not need the oil life meter. It wasn't designed for people that pay attention or obsess over their vehicles like we do.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The OLM might actually be more accurate with synthetic. Seems like on the wife's car it didn't go to zero to near 15K miles. Don't know about you but I'm changing way before then, now the Amsoil fanboys will go for the once a decade oil change. LOL

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
The OLM might actually be more accurate with synthetic. Seems like on the wife's car it didn't go to zero to near 15K miles. Don't know about you but I'm changing way before then, now the Amsoil fanboys will go for the once a decade oil change. LOL
AMSOIL, Inc recommends changing AMSOIL at least once a year up to 25,000 miles with their Signature Series, except for their Z-Rod oils are now 5,000 miles up to 2 years. I don't know anyone that goes once a decade, although may be possible with annual used oil analysis. At least two local Jeep Dealerships stock AMSOIL and it will be changed every 6 months for free under Wave, then once a year after that.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Thanks for the feedback guys, I figured as much. 20 years ago I was a pensoil change every 3k miles kinda guy. When I switched to synthetics I pushed it out to 5k, per manufacturers recommendations. Then mobile 1 started advertising 8k on their synthetic. I wanted to test it. I had purchased a 2001 Lincoln Town car off of an elderly woman that had 9k miles on the clock. Changed that oil every 8k miles. At roughly 412k miles the plastic intake manifold let go. While I was in there I decided to pull the heads and see what was going on. That was one of the cleanest engines I've opened. Obviously the honing and rings had seen better days with the miles they had on them, but honestly even those weren't that bad. I sold the car with 420k miles on it and it ran great. Now mobile one is advertising 20k miles. I have a hard time wrapping my head around waiting 20k miles to do an oil change. However, as a Field service engineer in the CNC field, the accuracy improvement in even the last 10 years is insane. We put out machines that will legitimately hold within 2 microns. Oil tech is improving. Manufacturing tech is improving. Its difficult for me to stick by an outdated system of change oil every X miles.

Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now mobile one is advertising 20k miles. I have a hard time wrapping my head around waiting 20k miles to do an oil change.
Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil advertises 20K miles (up to 1 year), IF your car is out of warranty, and IF your driving does not include off road, towing, short trips, etc. Then, in and out of warranty, they recommend following the OLM. AMSOIL has no such exclusions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
They advertise 20K miles (up to 1 year), IF your car is out of warranty, and IF your driving does not include off road, towing, short trips, etc. Then, in and out of warranty, they recommend following the OLM. AMSOIL has no such exclusions.
They probably should have those exclusions honestly. For one, if you push 20k miles per oil change under factory warranty, that gives the vehicle manufacturer an easy out to blame you for engine failure and refuse to pay for it. If you are off roading you may get excess dust or even water in your oil which would require an oil change. I'm really not here to argue oil brands, I was simply using mobile 1 as an example to illustrate my point about oil technology.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They probably should have those exclusions honestly. For one, if you push 20k miles per oil change under factory warranty, that gives the vehicle manufacturer an easy out to blame you for engine failure and refuse to pay for it. If you are off roading you may get excess dust or even water in your oil which would require an oil change. I'm really not here to argue oil brands, I was simply using mobile 1 as an example to illustrate my point about oil technology.
The factory warranty only covers factory defects, not defective oil. The factory has to prove the oil was defective and not the part to deny warranty, even with extended oil change intervals. That is why I feel it is important to use oil that carries it's own parts and labor warranty should the oil fail. AMSOIL has never voided a factory warranty in 50 years even with 25,000 mile oil change intervals.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The factory warranty only covers factory defects, not defective oil. The factory has to prove the oil was defective and not the part to deny warranty, even with extended oil change intervals. That is why I feel it is important to use oil that carries it's own parts and labor warranty should the oil fail. AMSOIL has never voided a factory warranty in 50 years even with 25,000 mile oil change intervals.
They don’t have to prove a damn thing to deny warranty claims, they just need a simple out such as not following the recommended OCI.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They don’t have to prove a damn thing to deny warranty claims, they just need a simple out such as not following the recommended OCI.
Wrong. And only the factory can deny warranty claims. Not the dealership. And they should do so in writing and be specific. You correctly noted that the oil change intervals are "recommended", not required. The condition of the oil is important, not the OCI.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I personally don't have the cash to fight Chrysler in the courts, so I would almost guarantee they would deny my warranty claim if I was running 20k miles on an oil change. If you have used AMSOILs parts and labor warranty and they didn't try to fight you on it thats awesome. Again though, I'm really not here to argue about which oil is best, but really just wanted to talk about the oil life monitor and how better oils would affect, or apparently not affect it.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally don't have the cash to fight Chrysler in the courts, so I would almost guarantee they would deny my warranty claim if I was running 20k miles on an oil change. If you have used AMSOILs parts and labor warranty and they didn't try to fight you on it thats awesome. Again though, I'm really not here to argue about which oil is best, but really just wanted to talk about the oil life monitor and how better oils would affect, or apparently not affect it.
Exactly why you should use an oil company that will fight Chrysler in the courts, not you. Rarely needed though, as used oil and parts analysis often tell what caused the failure. Better oils might possibly affect the OLM. Lower heat, less friction, better flow and efficiency might affect the OLM algorithm. The OLM is based on the correct oil meeting the minimum recommended specifications. Of course, a better oil will out perform and last longer than one barely meeting the specs.

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
FCA has made it the dealers responsibility to authorize or deny warranty claims. If they authorize them they could be rejected by FCA when they submit the claim for payment. By then the customer is long gone. That is why dealers can be difficult.
If a dealer says you didn't change your oil frequent enough they will reject you warranty. Say for a engine failure. Then you can escalate it to FCA and your District Service Manager will review it. If the DSM denies it then you used to be able to go to arbitration but I just read that FCA is not using that anymore so court would be the final step. I wouldn't want to go through this.
FCA does not recognize using longer intervals for premium oil.
FCA does require scan reports and quite often pictures so programmers are a no-no.
Maintain your vehicle. Keep all you receipts if doing your own maintenance along with the mileages you have performed them.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a dealer says you didn't change your oil frequent enough they will reject you warranty. Say for a engine failure. Then you can escalate it to FCA and your District Service Manager will review it. If the DSM denies it then you used to be able to go to arbitration but I just read that FCA is not using that anymore so court would be the final step. I wouldn't want to go through this.
FCA does require scan reports and quite often pictures so programmers are a no-no.
Maintain your vehicle. Keep all you receipts if doing your own maintenance along with the mileages you have performed them.
How does a Dealer know if you didn't change your oil frequent enough? They have to prove the oil failed which can only be done by analysis. And if they do prove it, then it is the oil company's responsibility if they warrant it. I can't speak for other oil companies, but it has never been a problem with AMSOIL or an AMSOIL customer if 50 years.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
FCA has made it the dealers responsibility to authorize or deny warranty claims. If they authorize them they could be rejected by FCA when they submit the claim for payment. By then the customer is long gone. That is why dealers can be difficult.
I absolutely agree with this. I will run the premium oils, but will be changing them per the oil monitor until my warranty is over. Its simply the easiest way to do it. I was simply curious as to whether or not the olm would recognize higher quality oils. 95% of my driving is highway and it is looking like I'll be at 8-9k miles per change according to the OLM, so really thats not bad, not totally wasting the premium oil.
Sponsored