Sponsored

Another Member JLU Collision Report (with video)

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
She was caught unaware. She said she was watching the light and the traffic in front and to the left and right of her. That light is not usually a long one and you can see that the exit ramp is a long and straight one. She was stopped with her turn signal on and said she never considered that somebody would not see her, stop, or slow down. I was informed today that the other driver was charged with DUI.
I’m so glad your wife walked away and hope she remains well.

Drunk drivers :angry:
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m amazed how people can drive while that f**ked up. Even when I was a dumb kid in my teens and twenties I’d drink beers with friends and drive home but had enough wits to stop at red lights exc. ( btw even that was wrong hence the term dumb kid).
Occasionally, if I did shots and the room was spinning a little, I’d ask someone sober to drive me home.
What that woman did was as reckless as shooting a gun blindfolded and she really deserves jail. Not a fine and suspended license.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So, this afternoon my wife was rear-ended while stopped at a red light on an interstate exit ramp. The driver of the other vehicle never even touched the brakes and I’m pretty sure she was under the influence. Luckily my kids were not with my wife and, although she is already very sore from the seat belt, it appears she is okay. As far as the Jeep is concerned, I’m pretty sure it’s totaled. There is some crumpling all the way up to the front doors, but the passenger compartment appeared to be maintained. I will update with some pictures when I can get to it. Thank God it wasn’t worse.

Thank God is right! Wow. I saw the video before reading this and thought that person was going whether your wife and Jeep was there or not!

It’s good to hear your wife’s ok. It’s pretty scary looking.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
My significant other always asks "why do you pay attention to people behind you so much?" I always stop a car length behind the car in front when approaching a stop sign or light and pay attention to those approaching from behind. its amazing how fast some approach and brake at the last minute (brake wasters). If I saw something like this coming, I have room to turn and take the ditch or shoulder in some cases but not always when in two lanes of traffic. Sometimes staying in the right lane is a good idea. You have a way out at least. I'd rather take a curb and sidewalk or into someones yard or a ditch then take a hit like this. I know I can always drive out of a ditch.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
glad to hear that she's ok after a hard hit like that. as for the jeep, it looks like it held up pretty damn good for being @$$ ended and didnt become a taco.

for the other person, no sympathy for those to get behind the wheel drunk. i've seen a couple of bad wreck from drunk driving and there no excuse for it. when i was in college there was one guy in one of my classes that was kill due to dui. and a couple of others that i heard of being kill due to dui.

there was one guy at work that havent learned his lesson after being arrested 3 times for dui. the best part was getting arrested for the 4th time. now he's lost his license and have to either walk or bum a ride to where ever he goes.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
My significant other always asks "why do you pay attention to people behind you so much?" I always stop a car length behind the car in front when approaching a stop sign or light and pay attention to those approaching from behind. its amazing how fast some approach and brake at the last minute (brake wasters). If I saw something like this coming, I have room to turn and take the ditch or shoulder in some cases but not always when in two lanes of traffic. Sometimes staying in the right lane is a good idea. You have a way out at least. I'd rather take a curb and sidewalk or into someones yard or a ditch then take a hit like this. I know I can always drive out of a ditch.
i do tend (not as much) to see who's coming up from behind while stopped. and leave room in front of me (when possible) one morning i was at a light and saw a cab driver coming up fast behind me and didnt realize i was stopped. luckly i had room in front of me and moved over because if i didnt, the cabbie would of @$$ ended me.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Broad daylight, intoxicated and taken to the hospital with a broken leg AND gets charged with a DUI. Experience tells me that none of the above is going to deter that individual from being a repeat offender.

It’s only a matter of time before she ends up drunk again behind the wheel and either kills herself and or someone else.

And at that point, there are no “I’m sorry”’s, there are no reversals and there are no “take backs”. There’s just suffering, heartbreak, separation of families and a great amount of sadness for the people left behind.

That selfish choice ruins lives.
You never know. This may be the wake-up call. I arrested a gent early one morning for DUI. I saw him about a year later. I expected him to give me some grief, instead he thanked me for saving his life.

OP, glad your wife is okay. Hopefully the other driver had insurance and will work with you.

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

was that the rear tire that goes flying in the video?

crazy hit

speedy recovery

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
WOW! That car barely even slowed down on the ramp. Glad your wife is ok. If I were her I'd be calculating my payday from that idiot's insurance company and planning the next Jeep and the build that would be going on it... FOR FREE :)

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Where the hell do people learn to drive these days. This is why we need cars that drive themselves - for these stupid people. Though the more technology we put into cars the more stupid people driving them become. I'll take driving my car myself, responsibly, and put these other idiots on a bus.

I had a close call like that once. I always leave space in front of me when stopped though, so when I saw the car coming up fast behind me I quickly pulled into the other lane. Felt sorry for the person they slammed into though. Started leaking gas and other fluids, and the person that did the rear ending was so shook up they decided it was time to light up a cigarette. I wasn't so nice to the person when they made that stupid move...

Your wife really had no option even if she did see the car coming other than to risk pulling out into oncoming side traffic. Bad place to be, and glad she is relatively okay. Could have been much worse and compounded...

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I’m so glad your wife walked away and hope she remains well.

Drunk drivers :angry:
We live in society where alcohol use (and abuse) is widespread, yet marijuana is a class 1 felony. Potheads stay home and chill; for some reason, alcoholics like to go out and drive. Go figure. Hard hit - best of luck to the OP's wife.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mid-life Wrangler

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
was that the rear tire that goes flying in the video?

crazy hit

speedy recovery
Yes and no. It was a rear tire, but it was actually a rear tire for my wife’s van. The valve stem had broken off and I had put it in the back of the Jeep to take to get replaced.

sudeepi

First Name
Durga Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara UL, 2014 Honda CR-V
Glad she's alright. It would have been worse with any sedan.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We live in society where alcohol use (and abuse) is widespread, yet marijuana is a class 1 felony. Potheads stay home and chill; for some reason, alcoholics like to go out and drive. Go figure. Hard hit - best of luck to the OP's wife.
I arrested drivers under the influence of drugs including marijuana. Some had no clue where they were or where they had been. All driving under the influence is dangerous. It was my favorite type of arrest. But now distracted driving is as dangerous.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I arrested drivers under the influence of drugs including marijuana. Some had no clue where they were or where they had been. All driving under the influence is dangerous... But now distracted driving is as dangerous.
Some are so far gone and out of their minds that when they wreck, they act as if nothing happened. Sleep deprivation and distracted driving is just as bad.
Sponsored