Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks, this is a great and informative thread.
We put a MetalCloak 3.5” Gamechanger lift and 37s on our Rubicon. The steering seemed fine at first but now it tends to wander a bit at higher speeds. It’s been ~1000 miles since the install and I’m wondering, do we just need to go and re-torque everything?
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Hey folks, this is a great and informative thread.
We put a MetalCloak 3.5” Gamechanger lift and 37s on our Rubicon. The steering seemed fine at first but now it tends to wander a bit at higher speeds. It’s been ~1000 miles since the install and I’m wondering, do we just need to go and re-torque everything?
I’d start with a retorque, if that doesn’t tighten the steering back up I’d say check the caster. In my opinion 6.5° is the goal there. If you take it to a shop, make sure you tell them or they will likely have your caster set around 4.5°.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
[/QUOTE]
So the good thing at leas
I’d start with a retorque, if that doesn’t tighten the steering back up I’d say check the caster. In my opinion 6.5° is the goal there. If you take it to a shop, make sure you tell them or they will likely have your caster set around 4.5°.
I'd check all the obvious stuff first like re-torque (which really should be checked again after some driving on a new lift) and tire pressure. Assuming your arms are set to the correct length but I've also found the same my jl is happiest around 6-6.5 degrees of caster.

Something to make it easier in the future get some paint or a marker and make a line across the bolt head onto the brackets so you can tell at a glance if something has moved.

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
I had a similar issue with 35 in tires, over 65 mph ws a white knuckle thrill ride. Saw people mentioning a chalk test on my tires (dealer had them at 37 psi. Found a flat parking lot and kept letting air out at 2psi intervals and at 28psi the wntire tire made contact with the pavement. Set all 4 at 28psi and it was a completely new vehicle. Now I look at the soedo and find myself doing 75 to 78 and not realizing it. Handles great. Mopar 2” suspension lift and 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
I drive a 2-door, 2” Mopar, 35” geolanders. E load.
I just got back from doing chalk test. Dealer set at 40lbs. Discount tire said 38lbs.
chalk was worn evenly at 26lbs. Test Drove up the freeway at 80mph. Drove great compared to the white knuckled drive at 40lbs!
I actually learned of this just recently, but just got around to it. 🤙🏼😎
Sponsored