Sponsored

Another Jeep Wrangler crash test.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
what did we ever do without "automatic emergency breaking" and "lane assist" LOLOL
What we did and are currently doing is causing a lot of avoidable crashes.

It can be argued that some will use these features as a crutch or that people are more distracted now than ever, but you cannot argue with the fact that when used as an aid they will prevent avoidable crashes.
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
What we did and are currently doing is causing a lot of avoidable crashes.

It can be argued that some will use these features as a crutch or that people are more distracted now than ever, but you cannot argue with the fact that when used as an aid they will prevent avoidable crashes.
You’re missing my overall point I think, to say the leading cause of a 1-star safety rating are those 2 things is pure bogus..

OP
OP
Patinito

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
I just hope all this news about safety ratings doesn’t make FCA radically change the Jeep Wrangler (removing the ability to take doors off, roof, lower windshield). You know how it is nowadays with ‘safety first’ ‘play it safe’ nonsense.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You’re missing my overall point I think, to say the leading cause of a 1-star safety rating are those 2 things is pure bogus..
It’s 100% factual. The crash testing that is actual crash testing results in a 3/5 score for the wrangler consistently, with the weak points being side impact. The European safety rating reduces that to 1/5 specifically because of the lack of automation.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It’s 100% factual. The crash testing that is actual crash testing results in a 3/5 score for the wrangler consistently, with the weak points being side impact. The European safety rating reduces that to 1/5 specifically because of the lack of automation.
I think we could all probably agree that these new safety features "used as an aid" have helped many people avoid potential accidents, maybe even people you and I know and for that I would be grateful, however, my point here is that "automation" is NOT (and never should be) a substitute for an actual human driver and to rate a vehicles overall safety based on "automation" is clearly ridiculous in my opinion.

A vehicle that does not have "lane assist" is not any more unsafe as a vehicle that does in variety of situations. By pushing these bogus stats and fake news European safety ratings we are fostering the very idea that folks should solely rely on safety automated features.

I'd much rather prefer my children to still check their blind spots and be aware and alert on any HWY wouldn't you?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
What? You don't drive your Jeep 70mph into a concrete wall? :angel:
No, I put in 4 Lo, and creep over that bastard. Let's see that 5 star Volvo with automated everything do that. :D

I think the problem here is the Jeep isn't designed to pass European safety tests. Its got a 4 Star front crash rating and a 3 Star rollover rating here from the National Highway Traffic Safety according to the linked article.
Exactly. By American standards it does just fine. Sure it could be better, but it could be worse too.

...A vehicle that does not have "lane assist" is not any more unsafe as a vehicle that does in variety of situations. ...
Agreed. The vehicle isn't any less safe in a crash if it doesn't have standard automated features. Crash ratings are supposed to report how safe it is during a crash.. Crash ratings aren't reporting their ability to avoid the crash. Sure give the JL a 1 star for crash avoidance and they may have a better argument, but it's not unsafe when crashed because it doesn't have standard automated features. NHTSA and IIHS actually rate them correctly. They tell you what happens as the result of a crash, which is what the test is intended to do.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
No, I put in 4 Lo, and creep over that bastard. Let's see that 5 star Volvo with automated everything do that. :D

Exactly. By American standards it does just fine. Sure it could be better, but it could be worse too.

Agreed. The vehicle isn't any less safe in a crash if it doesn't have standard automated features. Crash ratings are supposed to report how safe it is during a crash.. Crash ratings aren't reporting their ability to avoid the crash. Sure give the JL a 1 star for crash avoidance and they may have a better argument, but it's not unsafe when crashed because it doesn't have standard automated features. NHTSA and IIHS actually rate them correctly. They tell you what happens as the result of a crash, which is what the test is intended to do.
That’s why I feel it is necessary use the correct label of “safety” rating vice crash rating. The European testing does not accurately represent the safety of occupants in a crash.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The European testing does not accurately represent the safety of occupants in a crash.
^^This I can agree with!

It seems like a lot of people didn’t actually read the article so here goes it:

Direct quote from the article:

“Euro NCAP and received a one-star rating, primarily due to its lack of standard safety aids like automatic emergency braking and lane assistance.”

^That is poop..

Also, the IIHS has repeatedly tested vehicles equipped with “lane assist” and “Automatic Emergency Braking” and has reported that those systems are “just not there yet” and that (as I mentioned) “automation is NOT a substitute for an actual human driver”.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about the crash rating but I went from a 3 year old Mazda 3 hatchback to my 2019 JLU. I'm an old fart with a clean record so my insurance is inexpensive but the Wrangler dropped my premium $22 a month which is about 1/3. The big drop was on the cost of collision.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, my brand new Jeep is the cheapest car in my house to insure. That's compared to an '09 Prius and an '08 Toyota Highlander. Maybe the insurers are onto something.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Don't give them an easy out. In previous generations, we always heard "it's impossible make the Jeep comfortable on road, it isn't designed for that". The JL showed that with enough ingenuity and development time, that can be accomplished. Similarly I'm not willing to accept that "Jeeps just aren't safe, they aren't designed for that". They could be both offroad beasts, and comfortable on road, and safer, and all these things. We just need FCA to prioritize that in development.
I’m willing to accept that, and so are you... you bought one right?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I would like to see them do better in side and offset front crashes.

no excuse not to.
Sponsored

Last edited: