Sponsored

Another Jeep Wrangler crash test.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I didn't include the extra safety features onto my ordered Sahara simply because I have two eyes that still work. All this extra stuff is making drivers dumber.
Then you'll love the inescapable, Mandated "safety features" coming soon, 2020 I think.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yep! (claims he was lost, running late and checking google maps on his phone)

...also when a young lady ran into my Mustang GT, and my wife's Jeep 3 times.
Yikes.... Remind me not to do any driving when I'm in your area :surprised:

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I don't get all the Jeep apologists. I love my Jeep, but I'm not ignorant to the fact that it isn't perfect. And I expect the designers to constantly look for ways to improve it. We as owners could bury our heads in the sand and pretend that the Jeep isn't subpar in terms of crash safety. Or we could accept that the JL has significant room for improvement, and we expect better in the future.

Part of the downside is in the modularity of the vehicle (removable doors, etc) but we should still expect the designers in Auburn Hills to continue making improvements. Or we can pretend there isn't a problem and let the Jeep fall further other vehicles.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author

Sponsored

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Yikes.... Remind me not to do any driving when I'm in your area :surprised:
Pennsylvania is bad with distracted drivers... the thing that gets me is I see so many people driving vehicles that have the hands free feature with the phone against their ear or in front of the steering wheel:facepalm: (specifically Chester County)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get all the Jeep apologists. I love my Jeep, but I'm not ignorant to the fact that it isn't perfect. And I expect the designers to constantly look for ways to improve it. We as owners could bury our heads in the sand and pretend that the Jeep isn't subpar in terms of crash safety. Or we could accept that the JL has significant room for improvement, and we expect better in the future.

Part of the downside is in the modularity of the vehicle (removable doors, etc) but we should still expect the designers in Auburn Hills to continue making improvements. Or we can pretend there isn't a problem and let the Jeep fall further other vehicles.
I think the problem here is the Jeep isn't designed to pass European safety tests. Its got a 4 Star front crash rating and a 3 Star rollover rating here from the National Highway Traffic Safety according to the linked article.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pennsylvania is bad with distracted drivers... the thing that gets me is I see so many people driving vehicles that have the hands free feature with the phone against their ear or in front of the steering wheel:facepalm: (specifically Chester County)
Yes, I've noticed the same thing. I've been using hands free ever since I figured out how to do it with my old Dakota (not bluetooth) and it is great.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Jeep is continuing to make improvements. Compare the safety features of the JL to the JK, TJ, YJ etc, and it is clear they are improving the safety of the wrangler. The JL is a very safe vehicle, but safety isn't its top priority, and FCA is willing to forego some level of safety to accomplish the mission of the vehicle. As an owner, I know full well that there are other vehicles that would be "more safe" than the JL, but I chose it anyway. No matter how much they improve things, a high center of gravity vehicle is never going to be the safest vehicle on the road.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Where I stopped giving a shit what their "safety ratings star system" meant across the pond:

The lack of "automatic emergency breaking" and "lane assist" being the leading causes of the 1 star ratings...…

Because what did we ever do without "automatic emergency breaking" and "lane assist" LOLOL

A "1-Star" safety rating is fake news.

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Jeep is continuing to make improvements. Compare the safety features of the JL to the JK, TJ, YJ etc, and it is clear they are improving the safety of the wrangler. The JL is a very safe vehicle, but safety isn't its top priority, and FCA is willing to forego some level of safety to accomplish the mission of the vehicle. As an owner, I know full well that there are other vehicles that would be "more safe" than the JL, but I chose it anyway. No matter how much they improve things, a high center of gravity vehicle is never going to be the safest vehicle on the road.
Don't give them an easy out. In previous generations, we always heard "it's impossible make the Jeep comfortable on road, it isn't designed for that". The JL showed that with enough ingenuity and development time, that can be accomplished. Similarly I'm not willing to accept that "Jeeps just aren't safe, they aren't designed for that". They could be both offroad beasts, and comfortable on road, and safer, and all these things. We just need FCA to prioritize that in development.

I'm by no means saying it will be easy. And of course there will be tradeoffs (like in terms of cost). But that doesn't mean we should let Jeep off the hook here.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I don't think I'm giving them an easy out, just saying that I never expect it to compare in safety features to a vehicle that is sold based on its safety features. There are some things that are inherently unsafe about a design that requires narrow body, high clearance, and also includes the modularity of removable doors/top. They could make it much more safe if they drop some of those design aspects, but then it becomes just another SUV, and their market disappears and everyone complains that they abandoned the market. I expect them to continue to make vehicles safer, but I will never hold them to the standard that the wrangler needs to be perceived as the safest vehicle with every possible safety feature.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't really fan-boy gives FCA an easy out. Body on frame vehicles are handicapped from the start. Crumple zones are so much easier to achieve in a unibody design. In addition the removable roof and doors eliminates 2 of the most common side impact air bag locations. They do have side impact in the seats but that won't beat side curtain air bags. It's like a one-armed man in a wallpaper hanging contest.

I think Jeep has done a hell of a job with the JL design, including safety improvements. If safety is your primary concern, there's countless pedestrian SUV's available from nearly every manufacturer available for purchase.

Kevin’s Rubi

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired flight test engineer
My oldest son was an accident investigator. He told me about an accident between a small passenger car and a pick up truck. The car occupants walked away with minor injuries when it became airborne and crashed through the cab of the truck killing the driver. In real world accidents it's all physics. It's how much energy that other vehicle has when it enters the passenger space of the other vehicle. If a Prius driven by a drunk driver hits my Jeep in the driver door at 90 mph I'm going to die.

I was an aerospace engineer before I retired. Sure, I can design an airplane that dramatically increases the survivability in some crashes. But that round trip ticket to Boise is going to run you about $3M. The incredible drop in aviation accident rates came from better training. More so than better equipment. You can't legally or financially use one of those giant two story tall dump trucks used in mining to commute around town but it would be your safest option. It's all about mitigation.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The Hyundai Accent has a 4 star crash test rating, and accounts for nearly 4 times the number of deaths per million registered vehicles as the wrangler. The wrangler is nowhere near the top of the list.
Sponsored