Sponsored

Another Gorilla Glass victim - 5 months ownership

BlueGin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU 4xe High Altitude
I've owned my 4XE JLUHA for 5 months and am now a victim of the Gorilla Glass failure. Paid for this upgrade when I ordered my Wrangler and it's a complete failure. Something hit the glass early Friday afternoon, thought it was nothing, came back later that night and the crack is 6" long. I reported this same night and called Jeep Wave. Dealer quoted me $800 for replacement. I replied, "How about refunding me the money that upgraded the windshield first?"

@JeepCares I think you'll have a class-action lawsuit in the near future for this. It looks like Gorilla glass is no longer an option for 2023 Wranglers via the website either?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It looks like Gorilla glass is no longer an option for 2023 Wranglers via the website either?
Supply issues. Quite a few options have been removed for ordering. Gorilla Glass, Hardtop headliners, tailgate reinforcement/spare tire carrier, dual door option and the Extreme Recon Package are all no longer available to order. Jeep wen site may not have been updated to reflect this yet.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
"Seemed like a good idea at the time" ;)

Good luck getting the dealer to cover it. Maybe they will. If and when mine goes, I'm going to cultivate a relationship with a low-cost windshield glass install shop, and put them on speed dial.

OP
OP

BlueGin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Seemed like a good idea at the time" ;)

Good luck getting the dealer to cover it. Maybe they will. If and when mine goes, I'm going to cultivate a relationship with a low-cost windshield glass install shop, and put them on speed dial.
Haha right??

Spoke to Jeep Wave customer care. I told them I'm ok with installing the standard Wrangler windshield as long as they refund me my money on the upgrade. Stay tuned...

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm reluctant to post this and put myself on fate's radar but...

I've driven a YJ from the dealer to the grave and a JL for 2 years. Not a single cracked windshield. What are all of you doing that I'm not? I don't get it. It's not like I don't drive my Jeeps.

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
@BlueGin I ordered my 23 Rubi in August and could not get the GG option. My salesman looked and looked but could never find it. Of course, he's like every other salesman and had no idea why.

I would add that my Insurance has full 100% Glass Repair. Have you checked with them yet?

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport

I've driven a YJ from the dealer to the grave and a JL for 2 years. Not a single cracked windshield. What are all of you doing that I'm not? I don't get it. It's not like I don't drive my Jeeps.
Reinen, I suspect that it is mainly happening to the maniacs who insist on driving at 80 and 85 mph.

Remember, kinetic energy --- the energy of an object in motion, such as a vehicle-thrown rock --- is not proportional to its speed, but to the square of its speed. So the energy of an impacting object against your windshield does not increase linearly with increasing speed, but exponentially.

Alaskan roads are notorious for throwing up rocks and stones against windshields. But I did manage to go almost 20 years in my Dodge Ram pickup until I got my first actual windshield crack.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
I've owned my 4XE JLUHA for 5 months and am now a victim of the Gorilla Glass failure. Paid for this upgrade when I ordered my Wrangler and it's a complete failure. Something hit the glass early Friday afternoon, thought it was nothing, came back later that night and the crack is 6" long. I reported this same night and called Jeep Wave. Dealer quoted me $800 for replacement. I replied, "How about refunding me the money that upgraded the windshield first?"

@JeepCares I think you'll have a class-action lawsuit in the near future for this. It looks like Gorilla glass is no longer an option for 2023 Wranglers via the website either?
It’s not I tried getting it when I ordered on September 24th, guess I actually dodged a bullet though

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
you're never going to win a class action lawsuit over glass breaking. I don't remember them saying anything in the description claiming it was unbreakable. One look at Iphones will tell you gorilla glass still breaks, and in my opinion it's just marketing and nothing more. You won't get a refund for the purchase price from when you ordered it, just have them put in standard glass and call it a loss. sorry it sucks but that's most likely the reality of the situation.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BlueGin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BlueGin I ordered my 23 Rubi in August and could not get the GG option. My salesman looked and looked but could never find it. Of course, he's like every other salesman and had no idea why.

I would add that my Insurance has full 100% Glass Repair. Have you checked with them yet?
I have and I'm covered. I'm holding off on filing the claim for now.

OP
OP

BlueGin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reinen, I suspect that it is mainly happening to the maniacs who insist on driving at 80 and 85 mph.

Remember, kinetic energy --- the energy of an object in motion, such as a vehicle-thrown rock --- is not proportional to its speed, but to the square of its speed. So the energy of an impacting object against your windshield does not increase linearly with increasing speed, but exponentially.

Alaskan roads are notorious for throwing up rocks and stones against windshields. But I did manage to go almost 20 years in my Dodge Ram pickup until I got my first actual windshield crack.
I live in Northern VA and traffic on a Friday (or any other day ) going south on 95 will not get you over 75 MPH unless you're on the express lanes. I think in this instance I was going just over 60 in the regular lanes.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
I live in Northern VA and traffic on a Friday (or any other day ) going south on 95 will not get you over 75 MPH unless you're on the express lanes. I think in this instance I was going just over 60 in the regular lanes.
I don't doubt you at all, BlueGin.

I should maybe emphasize the fact that I said that I suspect that these broken windshield are probably happening mainly to those traveling excessively fast --- not exclusively to them. I now have four cracks in my Dodge Ram's windshield, even though I only very rarely exceed 60 mph (and then only to pass). It's just a matter of odds, and the odds favor getting cracks at higher speeds.

Deathmatrix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My GG cracked with no signs of impact. Up until this point they have refused to replace it under warranty. If it didn’t cost nearly $500 more for the option it would be one thing, but to tout its toughness and a 2 year warranty and then play dumb when someone tries to get it replaced is another.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22

That's it. Now you're on The List.

;)
Sponsored