Sponsored

Another FTM-400 Ham Radio Install - Pic heavy

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Started by puling the right-front fender. It really makes accessing the passenger-side grommet in the firewall a breeze. In addition to the power wires, I also ran another short section of wire, just in case I install something in the future.

I pre-purchased the little white fender clips, and I'm glad I did. 3 of the originals broke in the removal process. Even so, removal/re-installation is a snap.
IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

Power comes directly from the battery, via a Powerwerx harness, and Power Pole connectors. The Powerwerx harness has fuse holders on both the pos & neg wires. (The other harness is for an RVi Toad Battery Charger).
IMG_3372.jpg

I folded the windshield, and ran the Controller cable through the weatherstripping, to access above the dash, then into the kick panel area of the passenger-side footwell.
IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

I then ran the power wire and Controller wire along existing wire bundles, to terminate under the passenger front seat.
IMG_3369.jpg
IMG_3371.jpg

I mounted a Diamond Antenna via a Diamond Mount to the spare tire carrier, running the coax through a grommet in the rear tailgate. The coax then followes existing wire bundles to the passenger front seat.
IMG_3361.jpg

I added a little braided sheathing here to protect the coax, then ran it into the existing protective sheathing of the tailgate wiring.
IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

I mounted the Transceiver to a thick rubber flooring material, using the stock Yaesu mount. The rubber is dense/heavy, and the texture keeps it from sliding on the carpet.
I usually run a little warm, even during the winter, so I always like a little cool air blowing. Since the Transceiver is adjacent to the vent, I hope air flow won't be an issue.
(The blue towels are just protecting the carpet from the front seat fame. I removed the 4 frame bolts, and tilted the seat back for better access).
IMG_3385.jpg

The Controller is mounted using an adapted 67 Designs mount.
IMG_3366.jpg

Everything is working okay so far. Haven't taken any SWR reading yet. I also have a mount that @Bobby Boucher made for me. I'll do a little testing with different antenna placements in the future.
IMG_3373.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Did you use 14 AWG - Trying to figure out my own and feel like 14 will be what works best.
I went overboard and used 10 AWG. The Powerwerx Fuse Holder I bought was 10, so I figured i'd use the same gauge all the way to the Transceiver.

Bill

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Very nicely done! Pictures with embedded text really help people who'd like to perform a similar installation......

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have read that 14AWG is a minimum.

StinGray Rubi

First Name
Coy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What is the dash mount called that you are using for your phone? That's the nicest one that I have seen yet!

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the dash mount called that you are using for your phone? That's the nicest one that I have seen yet!
The whole system is by 67Designs. Phone holder near the driver, GoPro mount in the middle, and Ham Radio control head on the passenger side.

tanner

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L
Clean install!
  • Where did you mount your mic? Any pics of this?
  • Did you mount an external speaker?

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have yet to decide on a permanent location for either my Mic or my external speaker. I bought the Mic extension, so it will go pretty much anywhere, once I can make up my mind. Right now it lives in the cup holder.

Bill

Sponsored

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Great write-up and pics! Do you have the link for the white fender clips?

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I have yet to decide on a permanent location for either my Mic or my external speaker. I bought the Mic extension, so it will go pretty much anywhere, once I can make up my mind. Right now it lives in the cup holder.

Bill
I used a Magnetic Mic to mount mine on the console. It gives me easy access without taking my eyes off the road or trail.

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

mbinzayed

First Name
Mohammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Great work ...

Any ideas for mounting Radio's Control Panels, I am looking for a solution without any drilling ... and looks nice ...

Cali-JeepJL

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Nice install! Can you tell me where you got the adapter that connects the controller to the 67 designs arm? that looks clean.
Sponsored