Sponsored

Another FTM-400 Ham Radio Install - Pic heavy

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
In the process of getting my Amateur License and as such planning on my first radio and how to install it in the JL. Of course, this leads to a lot of questions that I am hoping the forum members can help me with them.

The FTM400 has caught my eye. It looks easy to program on the go, straight forward menu / keyboard entry and the built in APRS looks very convenient to use. Those that have used them what has been your experiences in real life use?

Has anyone had any issues with galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals in the antenna mounts?

Billymac- Looks like you used a Diamond luggage rack mount. Can the interference be solved my moving off center or is it simply not a good choice of equipment/mounting location? Have you installed the Cooltech mount and if so your thoughts on it and the radio performance with it?

Has anyone used the Teraflex hinge mount? https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5e00d91d56d70ed493ae4bae

Thanks in advance for all your help in my education.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
In the process of getting my Amateur License and as such planning on my first radio and how to install it in the JL. Of course, this leads to a lot of questions that I am hoping the forum members can help me with them.

The FTM400 has caught my eye. It looks easy to program on the go, straight forward menu / keyboard entry and the built in APRS looks very convenient to use. Those that have used them what has been your experiences in real life use?

Has anyone had any issues with galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals in the antenna mounts?

Billymac- Looks like you used a Diamond luggage rack mount. Can the interference be solved my moving off center or is it simply not a good choice of equipment/mounting location? Have you installed the Cooltech mount and if so your thoughts on it and the radio performance with it?

Has anyone used the Teraflex hinge mount? https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5e00d91d56d70ed493ae4bae

Thanks in advance for all your help in my education.
Nutmeg,

My 400 has been a great radio so far, i know its not a main draw to the radio, but we used the GPS extensively on our wheeling trip to Moab.

As far as the luggage rack mount......I have played with the placement a bit, not haven't moved it the full span to see it I still get interference from the rear wiper.

Hopefully the CoolTech mount is waiting for me in the mailbox, but the Teraflex mount looks promising. I'm not sure of the diameter, but the antenna hole will probably need to be enlarged somewhat on the Teraflex mount?

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Nutmeg,

My 400 has been a great radio so far, i know its not a main draw to the radio, but we used the GPS extensively on our wheeling trip to Moab.

As far as the luggage rack mount......I have played with the placement a bit, not haven't moved it the full span to see it I still get interference from the rear wiper.

Hopefully the CoolTech mount is waiting for me in the mailbox, but the Teraflex mount looks promising. I'm not sure of the diameter, but the antenna hole will probably need to be enlarged somewhat on the Teraflex mount?
Bilymac, Thanks, I sent an email to Teraflex asking if the hole can to opened up to 3/4 for a NMO mount awaiting reply. Cooltec making a Stainless NMO mount is a plus to weigh against the aluminum mount, I just thought the taper bolts on the Teraflex was a superior design.

I had asked on the location of the luggage mount as in another thread a member had used it and I noticed it was offset all to one side. I like that idea but if it does not work its not worth pursuing.
Are you planing on staying with a "Radialless" antenna when you change the mount? Again Thanks.

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
So here is the @CoolTech Wrangler JL HAM/GMRS Antenna Bracket, flipped upside-down, and installed. As you can see, with the factory wheels, and 35"BFG's, it's close, but it fits. It would not have fit in the designed position.

The mount itself, is very nice.

Bill

IMG_3905.jpg

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Thanks for the update. How is the clearance on the aerial with the rear window?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update. How is the clearance on the aerial with the rear window?
Several inches.

It's actually got more clearance than the Luggage Rack mount.

Bill

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got around to permanently mounting my Mic.

I went with the CoolTech JL Mic Mount.
IMG_3929.jpg

The Yaesu MEK-2 Mic Extension Kit. I ran the cable up under the center console, and I used dbl-sided tape to attached the junction box under the dash in the passenger footwell.
IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

Working great so far.

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not to resurrect an old thread, but have you taken any SWR readings with the tailgate mounted antenna? I much prefer this mounting area than the hood, but I’m concerned with signal distortion and bounce back reducing the effective broadcast wattage.

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good timing, I happen to be on the computer.

In answer to your question, I have not taken any readings, but I have always received good signal reports during QSO's.

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
Vehicle Showcase
Love the setup, and the exact radio I'm looking at. I'm a newb, so dumb questions:
- now that it's been a while - anything you'd change?
- perhaps a dumb question - I see that you have Aux switches - any reason you didn't want to hook up to Switch 1 or Switch 2? Up until I saw your post i was planning on hooking up to Aux 1. Is it a concern about amperage?
- what is the diameter of the ball on the 67 mount? I was actually thinking Ram rail, but mounting the remote unit is a concern because of the 5mm thread - i see that 67 ball works
- any issues with the mount under the passenger seat, especially in the wi.... never mind, you are in CA. I guess, i'm wondering if you've run heat and if that causes any issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@auxSwitch, currently, I don't think i'd change anything......I'm very happy with the result. I did see a post by another member here where he removed the infotainment screen, drilled up through the top of the dash, and ran his wires that way. It was a clean look, but much more involved.

I chose to run power straight to the battery in lieu of using an aux switch, for simplicity, and one less point of failure.

I'm not sure of the diameter of the 67 Designs mount, but I do believe it is smaller that the Ram offering.

I live in Northern CA, where we still get some weather, so I just remember the unit is under the seat, and if I know i'm going to be transmitting A LOT, I turn down the heat. It has not been an issue so far.

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
Vehicle Showcase
@auxSwitch, currently, I don't think i'd change anything......I'm very happy with the result. I did see a post by another member here where he removed the infotainment screen, drilled up through the top of the dash, and ran his wires that way. It was a clean look, but much more involved.

I chose to run power straight to the battery in lieu of using an aux switch, for simplicity, and one less point of failure.

I'm not sure of the diameter of the 67 Designs mount, but I do believe it is smaller that the Ram offering.

I live in Northern CA, where we still get some weather, so I just remember the unit is under the seat, and if I know i'm going to be transmitting A LOT, I turn down the heat. It has not been an issue so far.
Thanks! Appreciate the response.

I saw the routing through dash as well - I'm always iffy about drilling - I like your approach better. The trick with removing fender to pull the wire through the firewall is extremely useful.

In case anyone is interested, based on my research, the 67D ball is 20mm, while Ram is 1in (they also have 9/16, 1.5, 2.25, and 3.38in). I'm going to get the 67 ball and test it with A (9/16 in) and B (1 in) arms to see if one of them will hold it.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Great thread. Curious how you fished the wire through the grommet on the passenger side firewall. I know there's the rubber boot there but some have had issues with nicking wires when they fished things through that boot. did you cut the tip of the boot and go in that way or just make a hole in it elsewhere. Is it just that the wheel well access with the fender off made that easier than it would be otherwise so the risk of a nick was less?

OP
OP

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rfm8os removing the fender makes is 10x easier. I used a xacto knife to cut a small slit in the grommet from the inside, then used a fish tape and pushed it through until I felt resistance. I left the fish tape in place, moved to the firewall side, and used the xacto knife to cut a slit where the fish tape was pushing out the grommet.

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
I'm curious what the SWR is. I bet it's higher than you think it is. I'd run that 400 on low power until I got tested on the meter.
Sponsored