First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
8AFFF102-1B9D-4031-B038-19495BE38022.jpeg
I suspect large temp swings (50 degrees) over past few days contributed.

Note, not pictured, just out of frame is plastic clip to alleviate stress found on later 2018s. Methinks that is not the issue.

Oh, and that black electrical tape hack-job whatever that is covering - that's how delivered. Did not notice until now.

Dealer - “you’ll have to leave it all day for us to diagnose.” Super convenient. 1 minute to look at 15 to write up and order window.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JL Sahara

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
8AFFF102-1B9D-4031-B038-19495BE38022.jpeg
I suspect large temp swings (50 degrees) over past few days contributed.

Note, not pictured, just out of frame is plastic clip to alleviate stress found on later 2018s. Methinks that is not the issue.

Oh, and that black electrical tape hack-job whatever that is covering - that's how delivered. Did not notice until now.

Dealer - “you’ll have to leave it all day for us to diagnose.” Super convenient. 1 minute to look at 15 to write up and order window.
Went to my dealer last friday night, they told me FCA no longer will replace the back glass for the broken defroster, the told me to leave it for 2 days and they will have to send it to a glass shop for repair , not very happy but they advised FCA will only pay for a repair??

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JL Sahara

JL owner's are in fact getting them replaced..

Do know that dealerships are known to tell you lets say, whatever they decide to tell you.

Just because a specific dealer says FCA will not do this or that, but only will do this, is more often then not, a crock of chitt.

Follow the forum closely and you will come to realize what I just said is not an overstatement.

Anyway, with that said, do know that your dealership is not to be 100% believed / trusted.

Watch your back so to speak.

IF you are not sure if the dealer is doing you right, then YOU should get FCA involved. Contact FCA Customer Service. Let FCA tell you for example whether they will or will not replace a part.. Tell FCA you cannot get a loaner vehicle...

In regard to this rear window defroster thing... repairs aren't working and rear window replacements are failing as fast as they are putting them in.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I noticed mine failed a while back, same as in OP's. I figure I'll get it fixed when I get my next oil change. Honestly hasn't bothered me any, usually a swipe or two with the rear wiper clears up the window, and I park in my garage overnight. Oh well.

WranglerJLU84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Also had my rear window defroster fail a while back. I finally took it in to the dealership where I purchased. They advised a new rear window has been ordered. Should be arriving this week to be replaced.

Sponsored

JL Sahara

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Jeep Cares never got back to me , too cold to epoxy, so I just soldered the button back on , so far so good as tomorrow will be a high of -3 deg before wind chill

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@JL Sahara

JL owner's are in fact getting them replaced..

Do know that dealerships are known to tell you lets say, whatever they decide to tell you.

Just because a specific dealer says FCA will not do this or that, but only will do this, is more often then not, a crock of chitt.

Follow the forum closely and you will come to realize what I just said is not an overstatement.

Anyway, with that said, do know that your dealership is not to be 100% believed / trusted.

Watch your back so to speak.

IF you are not sure if the dealer is doing you right, then YOU should get FCA involved. Contact FCA Customer Service. Let FCA tell you for example whether they will or will not replace a part.. Tell FCA you cannot get a loaner vehicle...

In regard to this rear window defroster thing... repairs aren't working and rear window replacements are failing as fast as they are putting them in.
This is the easiest repair ever. Even more, I personally wouldn't take it to the dealership for this.

Your choice: 20 bucks and 5 min DIY or hours at the dealership for the pettiest repair/months waiting for a replacement glass.

I mean, a replacement glass just for this? LOL!!!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Eloib

Do you really think that I have never used Electrically Conductive Epoxy for such a repair... think again. 8-) I have done a few..

Do you think I willy nilly take any vehicle to a dealership service department for an oil change or simple repair.... think again..

Can tell you that you can "LOL" but you might want to do your homework in regard to the JL and this defrost wire tab popping off thing. Real obvious you are clueless, to the fact, that many have tried the epoxy repair on the JL and have had poor poor results. Also, that FCA says replace not repair in regard to this window.

Also, if you go doing such a repair prior to the dealer seeing and documenting the wire tab popping off ....and you do the repair, attempt the repair and it fails ..... well, very good chance that the dealer / FCA will not repair under warranty or require you to do battle with them so to speak in order to get them to pay for the repair and or glass replacement. They will say you caused the issue, etc..

In closing, yes, avoid the dealership but sometimes you have no choice.

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I noticed mine failed a while back, same as in OP's. I figure I'll get it fixed when I get my next oil change. Honestly hasn't bothered me any, usually a swipe or two with the rear wiper clears up the window, and I park in my garage overnight. Oh well.
I had mine replaced by my dealer at my first oil change. They replaced the entire glass for me. Just wanted to give you a heads up though that there was a back order at the time so I had to wait about three weeks. With these issues becoming more prevalent now, I would check with you dealer about ordering the part for you to save you multiple trips for service.

Sponsored

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Both of my tabs disconnected last week when it was cold (just when I needed them) on my 2018 JLUR. I don’t want to go through the time of having several glass replacements. It will cost me half a day of work and fuel to go to the dealer which is 45 miles away. Why can’t Jeep seem to get this right?

Khmerilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Any folks out there that tinted their rear window and then had this issue? If the dealership offers to replace I wonder if they'll replace with a tinted window?

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I had mine replaced by my dealer at my first oil change. They replaced the entire glass for me. Just wanted to give you a heads up though that there was a back order at the time so I had to wait about three weeks. With these issues becoming more prevalent now, I would check with you dealer about ordering the part for you to save you multiple trips for service.
So way back last year when this came up, they did advise me about the back order. At the time it was March or April, and I was about to put the soft top back on. So I said forget it, let's wait until fall.

So now it's fall, just called the dealer to schedule this fix, plus the TSB for the engine fan, and the steering recall. They advised that it's no longer a glass replacement, that Jeep now has a fix that doesn't involve new glass. Only downside is that it has to sit for 12 hours for the epoxy (or whatever they use) to cure so they advised they'll give me a loaner (I'll probably actually drop it off night before and pick it up later, I have a third car I can use).

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
This has been happening to me since I bought my Rubicon in 2018. It's now happened to me 7 times. Out of the 7 times they replaced the glass 3 times and it falls off 2-4 weeks later. It's clearly a flawed design on the 2018 and up jeeps. I've been fighting with Chrysler for months because they keep charging me deductibles. The only way they will service this as recalls is if everyone starts open Chrysler service tickets. Lets get it started. This will be my last Jeep if they don't recall it and keep giving me the run around This is my 2nd wrangler and a grand Cherokee in the past - Never had this problem with any of the others.

The best part is, when I told the Chrysler lady this is known big issue sine they released the JL, she told me she doesn't believe anything on these threads. She'll believe it when Chrysler does a recall. Great customer service over at Chrysler.
Sponsored