MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Hello All,

I've read around on a few threads looking for this issue, but haven't found anyone with this specific recurring issue.

2019 JLU Sport S, Manual, tow package, 52K miles on the clock.

Issue is recently ESS has been saying the usual nonsense seen elsewhere "service start stop system" and the ESS warning light comes on. Now, that wouldn't be a problem because I ALWAYS turn it off first thing getting in. But, when this warning comes on, my cruise control no longer functions, which is frustrating on long drives.

My thinking is that the aux battery is failing, but voltage is still 12.5 volts... i have looked for loose wires as others have mentioned, but failed to find any.

I mentioned my Jeep has a tow package because the issue happens more frequently when towing a 1200 lb camper, but happens now pretty regularly when not towing as well. Not sure if that is related...

The only fix I have is turning the jeep off and on, that will let it reset and i can use cruise control until the ESS decides to not work.

Have tried to reproduce issue, but it's at random... sometimes it happens right after start up, sometimes it happens 2 hours into a highway cruise. No idea why.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Cheers!
Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I had that issue when I was getting the Service ESS warning light. Mine was fixed with a new aux battery & clutch interlock switch (under warranty). ESS is tied in to so many sensors of this & that, that it could be anything.

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Update: took my JL into the dealer yesterday, and they diagnosed my problem as a failing clutch switch which has been affecting ESS intermittently and causing cruise control to become inactive. Good news is the issue is found, bad news is the parts are on back order for who knows how long.

Hopefully this info helps for someone else having the same problem.

Mmoran33

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Update: took my JL into the dealer yesterday, and they diagnosed my problem as a failing clutch switch which has been affecting ESS intermittently and causing cruise control to become inactive. Good news is the issue is found, bad news is the parts are on back order for who knows how long.

Hopefully this info helps for someone else having the same problem.
I had the same problem over the summer. The replacement fixed the problem, but they have to tear apart the dash to get to the part. Fortunately, my dealer did a nice job and no problem since. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What exactly do people think ESS is? There are no components involved in the “system” that aren’t used for normal operation of the vehicle. If your Jeep has a problem, get it fixed.

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
What exactly do people think ESS is? There are no components involved in the “system” that aren’t used for normal operation of the vehicle. If your Jeep has a problem, get it fixed.
Agreed that everything is tied together, there's no telling what the root cause is unless you take it to get diagnosed and fixed. The problem is though that not only are parts backordered, it's pricey to have your jeep taken in and looked at when you're out of warranty. Especially for a silly ESS system that adds *nothing* to the ease of operation of the vehicle. It seems silly to take the vehicle in for inspection when the only thing wrong is this non-essential system..... but it could always be masking something more serious... dammed if you do and damned if you don't I guess

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Agreed that everything is tied together, there's no telling what the root cause is unless you take it to get diagnosed and fixed. The problem is though that not only are parts backordered, it's pricey to have your jeep taken in and looked at when you're out of warranty. Especially for a silly ESS system that adds *nothing* to the ease of operation of the vehicle. It seems silly to take the vehicle in for inspection when the only thing wrong is this non-essential system..... but it could always be masking something more serious... dammed if you do and damned if you don't I guess
my point is that it’s literally always due to a more serious component or system failure. ESS does not physically exist, it’s an operation.

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
my point is that it’s literally always due to a more serious component or system failure. ESS does not physically exist, it’s an operation.
I see your point, actually hadnt thought of it like that before.

Sponsored

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
I had that issue when I was getting the Service ESS warning light. Mine was fixed with a new aux battery & clutch interlock switch (under warranty). ESS is tied in to so many sensors of this & that, that it could be anything.
Woahhh
I was wondering what's been going on and everyday when I go to start the Jeep, I have to basically slam the clutch pedal to the floor in order to start the Jeep.
Driving is fine, shifting is fine, I just lose ESS (which I always turn off anyway) and I lose cruise control.
But I've been very curious if my clutch interlock switch is faulty because of my starting issues.

I'm definitely going to look into this.

5k miles. wooo

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I looked back at the invoice, mine was at 13,000 miles. However, I have 42,000 miles now with no other problems with it.
Sponsored