Sponsored

Another Dealership 6 quart “Free” Oil Change.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Other than saving $20-30 you're 100% correct. It's so easy on the JL it's almost fun to do.
What’s strange is that even my trusty family mechanic that I have been using for almost a decade knows to put 5 quarts in what he calls “newer Jeeps with the 6 cylinder gas engine” but many of the dealership techs that are supposed to be better at Jeeps than a mom/pop mechanic shop don’t....weird!
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
This is why i am changing my oil and dumping it in that tx goat dudes backyard.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Wasn't she Playmate of the Month back in '73?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
What potential damage could driving approximately 12,000 miles with too much oil cause to the engine?
Am I understanding correctly that you drove 12,000 miles without checking your oil level?

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
They hire people to change your oil who count the number of qts oil on their fingers. Problem is bubba has 6 fingers.
Those alien abductions can have consequences!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jeep Wrangler JL Another Dealership 6 quart “Free” Oil Change. 1601260989992

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I, too, was a victim of 6 quarts in my JL with the first oil change two years ago. The oil level was above the plug and onto the wire. I had to print out pages from my pdf owners manual to prove to the Service Manager that 5 quarts were the new standard. He did do a whole new change.

After that experience, I took one of those silver/gold Sharpies and wrote on both sides* of the oil filler cap "JL = 5 qts." It shows up well on the black plastic, but white might have been better. Since then I of course check the oil level as soon as I get home from the dealer, and I've not seen any relapses of problems with overfilled oil.

I hope this tip is useful to "yinz." (That's Pittsburghese for "y'all!")

Stay safe and healthy out there!

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
For about $5 on Amazon, I put one of these on each Jeep...

Jeep Wrangler JL Another Dealership 6 quart “Free” Oil Change. AA63064E-4723-4A70-A794-453342C9DACB

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
For about $5 on Amazon, I put one of these on each Jeep...

AA63064E-4723-4A70-A794-453342C9DACB.jpeg
So funny , That only rattles. The car wash guy doesn’t even look at that. the machine pumps in 6 quarts of some weight oil ? while he’s texting on his cell phone. Nice try. All somebody has to do is check the oil. The person filling it, the service manager or the person picking up their car the owner. if somebody would just check the oil they would realize. No stickers no badges no conversation needed. The scariest part of all this is people are just pouring oil in and never checking it. Only the invoice. I see your cap Lists 5W 30. What’s the odds you’re getting the correct weight oil. If they can’t get the quantity right. LOL

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
So funny , That only rattles. The car wash guy doesn’t even look at that. the machine pumps in 6 quarts while he’s texting on his cell phone. Nice try. All somebody has to do is check the oil. The person filling it, the service manager or the person picking up their car the owner. if somebody would just check the oil they would realize. No stickers no badges no conversation needed. The scariest part of all this is people are just pouring oil in and never checking it. Only the invoice.

WRONG! Since they have to remove the cap, and it's annoyingly in the way, I can guarantee you they read it. And ZERO rattle, even if it did, you'd never hear it... And I'm not sure why you are getting your oil changed at the car wash, that could be your first problem...

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
WRONG! Since they have to remove the cap, and it's annoyingly in the way, I can guarantee you they read it. And ZERO rattle, even if it did, you'd never hear it... And I'm not sure why you are getting your oil changed at the car wash, that could be your first problem...
Yeah right, your cap List 5W 30. I’m confident they make sure and give you the correct weight oil lol since they can’t even figure out the quantity. LOL what about the oil filter ? You got a 50/50 on that being changed correctly.
Hope you have a lease. I never buy used vehicles for this reason. Good luck
Sponsored