Sponsored

Another Dealership 6 quart “Free” Oil Change.

O)()()()()(O

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’ve had 2 of my 3 free oil changes conducted at the dealership. Today, I decided to do my own. There are a total of 17,100 miles on it and it’s been mild use highway miles since the last change. The cluster screen indicated 20% life remaining at time of change.

Used a 5qt jug of Penzoil .

All went well until I was transferring the used oil into the same 5qt jug after the refill. The oil was jet black, and quickly overflowed the jug. How can this be? Does the 3.6 produce oil over time?? Grabbed a clear empty jug and dumped the rest. And that took another quart.

I triple checked the owner’s manual and it clearly states 5 quarts. I have read this being an issue do to the transition to the JLs in 2018, but still in 2020!

Now this calls into question many things.

Were the prior changes even done ? Did they simply check the dipstick, leave the filter, oil, and just add a quart making it 6? Or, are they still putting 6 quarts into the 3.6 engines?

What potential damage could driving approximately 12,000 miles with too much oil cause to the engine?

Very frustrating.
Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I’ve had 2 of my 3 free oil changes conducted at the dealership. Today, I decided to do my own. There are a total of 17,100 miles on it and it’s been mild use highway miles since the last change. The cluster screen indicated 20% life remaining at time of change.

Used a 5qt jug of Penzoil .

All went well until I was transferring the used oil into the same 5qt jug after the refill. The oil was jet black, and quickly overflowed the jug. How can this be? Does the 3.6 produce oil over time?? Grabbed a clear empty jug and dumped the rest. And that took another quart.

I triple checked the owner’s manual and it clearly states 5 quarts. I have read this being an issue do to the transition to the JLs in 2018, but still in 2020!

Now this calls into question many things.

Were the prior changes even done ? Did they simply check the dipstick, leave the filter, oil, and just add a quart making it 6? Or, are they still putting 6 quarts into the 3.6 engines?

What potential damage could driving approximately 12,000 miles with too much oil cause to the engine?

Very frustrating.
Very frustrating and unfortunately your dealer will try to BS you if you claim to them.

this article is helpful: https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-happens-when-you-put-too-much-oil-in-your-car

OP
OP
O)()()()()(O

O)()()()()(O

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
And there’s actually people that are happy the delaer is going to mess your jeep up free for three years now instead of two.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just another reason why service garage cant get their $h*t right. starting from the service manager cant identify what wrangler you have first and punch away into the computer with wrong info. and down to the tech not double checking the work order to the wrangler. or the info is right and the tech fouled up. either way, its not that hard to figure out what 5 qts and whats 6 qts

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
They hire people to change your oil who count the number of qts oil on their fingers. Problem is bubba has 6 fingers.

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2.0 T now so I cannot speak to the 3.6 however is the 3.6 different from the JK 3.6? Because for over 5 years with my 3.6 JK I always used 6 quarts and changed the oil myself the entire time.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2.0 T now so I cannot speak to the 3.6 however is the 3.6 different from the JK 3.6? Because for over 5 years with my 3.6 JK I always used 6 quarts and changed the oil myself the entire time.
Yes, reduced from 6 to 5 which is likely the cause of all the dealership confusion but still inexcusable IMO.

Sponsored

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, reduced from 6 to 5 which is likely the cause of all the dealership confusion but still inexcusable IMO.
Ahh.. I was under the impression that the engine hadn't changed, only the transmission. Learn something new every day!!

On another note, Goddamn are dealers stupid!!!! You would think the techs would know better. It's really unacceptable.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh.. I was under the impression that the engine hadn't changed, only the transmission. Learn something new every day!!

On another note, Goddamn are dealers stupid!!!! You would think the techs would know better. It's really unacceptable.
Especially considering they are STILL doing this and 2021 models are coming out soon! Almost 3 years.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Dealers have been doing 6qts since the beginning of the JL.
Since joining this forum, I've been intrigued by how frequently the issue of incorrect 6 qt. oil changes was being mentioned in various threads.

As I was signing the order sheet, my salesman was careful to mention the perks of the complimentary Jeep Wave program (e.g., free oil changes) in which I was to be enrolled after vehicle delivery. I've been changing my own oil for 30 years now. It seems appropriate that I continue doing so.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Since joining this forum, I've been intrigued by how frequently the issue of incorrect 6 qt. oil changes was being mentioned in various threads.

As I was signing the order sheet, my salesman was careful to mention the perks of the complimentary Jeep Wave program (e.g., free oil changes) in which I was to be enrolled after vehicle delivery. I've been changing my own oil for 30 years now. It seems appropriate that I continue doing so.
Other than saving $20-30 you're 100% correct. It's so easy on the JL it's almost fun to do.

wingdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Does the old oil smell fuel? Since you mentioned it is black it could also be oil dilution.
Sponsored