jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I went to the dealer, Larry Miller in Tucson, for last "free" oil change. It's always an adventure.
I asked them not to change the air filters (cabin or engine) because I had changed both of them a week earlier. Afterward the service advisor tells me that my air filter is in the "warning zone," whatever that means, and should be changed soon. :LOL: Paperwork included a whole page on why it is important to change the engine air filter and quoted a price of $80 for the privilege of them doing it. I did it for $20 and 10 minutes of my time. I expect that trick at Jiffy Lube, but a dealer should be a little more creative.
Also I requested them to *not* do a tire rotation since I'd done one a few weeks before. Paperwork lists Tire Rotation as a service done :headbang:. I'm counting on laziness and hoping they didn't actually do one since they've messed up every 5 tire rotation so far.
The only good news is they didn't overfill my oil this time. They only did that once.
All of this took over an hour and a half despite having an appointment. I'm never going back. I'll use an honest independent mechanic for skill work from now on and do my own grunt work. Will try the other dealer if I have warranty work.
Sponsored

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I went to the dealer, Larry Miller in Tucson, for last "free" oil change. It's always an adventure.
I asked them not to change the air filters (cabin or engine) because I had changed both of them a week earlier. Afterward the service advisor tells me that my air filter is in the "warning zone," whatever that means, and should be changed soon. :LOL: Paperwork included a whole page on why it is important to change the engine air filter and quoted a price of $80 for the privilege of them doing it. I did it for $20 and 10 minutes of my time. I expect that trick at Jiffy Lube, but a dealer should be a little more creative.
Also I requested them to *not* do a tire rotation since I'd done one a few weeks before. Paperwork lists Tire Rotation as a service done :headbang:. I'm counting on laziness and hoping they didn't actually do one since they've messed up every 5 tire rotation so far.
The only good news is they didn't overfill my oil this time. They only did that once.
All of this took over an hour and a half despite having an appointment. I'm never going back. I'll use an honest independent mechanic for skill work from now on and do my own grunt work. Will try the other dealer if I have warranty work.
Your experience, unfortunately, seems to be becoming the norm. It is becoming more and more difficult to find a good reliable dealership. I grew up around cars, mainly because my father owned an auto shop growing up that I would work at during my summers, but unfortunately once he retired and sold his shop, I was left fending for my own. As you stated in your comment, your best bet is finding an honest independent mechanic/shop for your needs. The unfortunate thing is that if you have a problem with something that is under warranty, you have no choice but to go to a dealership. I only speak with my experience, but so far I have not found a dealership I trust. I've used 3 Jeep dealerships in the NJ and CT and I've had issues at each one. A lot of unnecessary work is done, and its very robotic, without actually checking to see if it is needed. I remember seeing a bill for my Cherokee stating they changed the cabin filter, yet I had changed it 2 weeks prior, and did not ask them to change it. I remember asking myself why they would throw out a perfectly clean filter, did they even look at it? I've had repairs done over and over again because they've done sloppy work. And most recently, I had my rearview camera changed out, under warranty; and in doing so, they damaged/cut my third brake light cable. I found out a few days later, looked behind the tire carrier and noticed when they were placing it all back they crushed the 3rd brake light line and cut the cable. I fixed it myself and left a horrible review online, because there is no point going back to them to have it fixed with more incompetents technicians. I would have been better off buying the camera and installing it myself. I worry about future recalls or warranty work. I have not used any of my 4 free oil changes/ tire rotations. I do all that work myself. Not worth having sloppy work that will cause other issues down the line. If there comes a time I don't feel like doing the maintenance, I would rather find a private shop or go to the 4by4 performance shop that did my lift to do the work. I'd rather pay more then to get horrible work done. I could tell more stories from other instances, but I'll stop here.
Now don't get me wrong, there are a few good dealerships out there... but they are becoming harder to find. I'd seek out recommendations here. I have yet to find one in my area though.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It would be nice to know which dealers are competent and provide good customer service so consumers can reward those dealers with our business.

There has to be some kind of customer service survey database somewhere that list how dealers perform. Maybe something from JD Powers or something?

I just started a thread asking Jeep Cares if they have a database or list of the best performing dealers. Hopefully they reply back.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Honestly if your experience with them was crap why go back? Bad behavior(or bad work) shouldn't be rewarded.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmcdtucson

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have 2 young daughters so they always have stickers. I put a sticker on each wheel in a different hole/window to confirm tire rotations were done as expected (or in your case, not expected).

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The JL oil change is super easy. You could’ve done it yourself in a half hour and spent the other hour with your family. No aggravation and no drama at the dealer. If you could put an air filter in you could change the oil. I can’t afford jeeps free oil changes.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my first Wrangler I researched dealer service departments. You only deal with sales once but service can be many. Unfortunately they all have plenty of negative (also positive) reviews.
One other thing, if you do your own work make sure you save receipts. My work truck is an Isuzu NPR HD. I do my own oil changes and lube. Every 10k I put it in for service as well. 2 years ago I was on the highway, heard a knock and then bang. The rod came right through the side of the engine. 51,000 miles. As my luck goes the dealer says to me “you know your warranty expired 3 days ago”. However I kept every service, oil change and even tire rotations in the back of my owner’s manual. I also bought my filters and oil from them which were logged in their computers. They asked for those notes and even made copies of them. Bottom line they did the right thing and installed a brand new engine for free.
Save receipts and keep records!

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I've only once had a problem with oil changes at my local CJD dealer (they unplugged a sensor cable to access the filter and didn't plug it back in when they were done). They've been changing my oil for, gosh, 7 years or so I think. Hopefully they can manage my first four free oil changes without screwing it up, but then I'm doing my own... It's just too easy on a vehicle you don't even need to jack up.

It's still a while before my first oil change though..I think my evic will have me change at 10k..I must be easy on the engine.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I've only once had a problem with oil changes at my local CJD dealer (they unplugged a sensor cable to access the filter and didn't plug it back in when they were done). They've been changing my oil for, gosh, 7 years or so I think. Hopefully they can manage my first four free oil changes without screwing it up, but then I'm doing my own... It's just too easy on a vehicle you don't even need to jack up.

It's still a while before my first oil change though..I think my evic will have me change at 10k..I must be easy on the engine.
I know its a long ride for you people but Goss Jeep ,in Burlington Vermont is unbelievably fantastic !!! Take a little vacation and drive a few thousand miles for an oil change. You wont regret it ! :);):rock:

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Mine is at the dealer now...never used them...but I believe its a battery (s) issue...I asked for the complimentary oil change and rotation...didn't think to ask about the 4 vs 5 tire rotation....I did it myself the first time...I figure I will end up working the spare in myself when I get it back if they neglected it....as for the oil...I'm hoping its not overfilled, after reading all the posts on here....getting service should not be this stressful....

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I have taken my 2018 JLUR for 5 services (oil changes) 4 by the same dealer and 2 other by different dealers. Each oil change and tire rotation was done as required by the service manual. My last service/oil change (#5) I had to pay so had a coupon $49 for oil service. SA offered me $99 offered which would cover this oil service and 2 additional services. They rotated tires for no charge. I did the express no appointment drive in service which you can watch through a large glass window, I was in and out in about 1 hour...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
In the middle of all that dealer silliness, we see the holy grail! The light at the end of the tunnel! The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! THEY GOT THE OIL LEVEL RIGHT!! WOW!! Finally, we see some progress!

Had they not fumbled on the air filter, and if they´d done it in less than an hour, they might have earned a spot on the preferred dealer list! Lol!

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
With everything all weird now with virus hysteria, I didn't even bother with my first oil change at the dealer. Picked up 5qt jug of Valvoline synthetic at Wally World for $22, Mopar oil filter at AutoZone for $8, took me about 10 minutes in the peace and quiet of my garage.... Totally worth not figuring out what weird restrictions or procedures they have in place now... And sitting there for an hour while they do a ten minute job.

This was the first time I've ever changed my oil.. on any vehicle... It's ridiculously easy on the Jeep... Filter is right there under the hood, drain plug is easy to reach without jacking anything up (and this is a stock sport). The only hassle was finding a store that had the filter in stock; Amazon next time.
Sponsored