Sponsored

Another dealer group busted. Please no politics.

Renenal

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
retired
I'm really struggling to see a reason to use anything but Carvana (or a similar site) ever in the future. Last weekend, I went to test drive a Scat Pack Widebody just for fun, and I humored the sales guy and let him run some numbers for me.

For my 2021 Mojave with 13,000 miles and over $5,000 in Mopar accessories added on after purchase, he wanted to give me just over $40,000... :LOL:

For a 2021 Scat Pack Widebody with 19,000 miles on it, he wanted $61,000.

He did the little "let me talk to my manager" bullshit, and came back saying they could go down to $60,000 on the Charger, and MAYBE get me 8 year financing to keep the payment low... :LOL:

God I pity people that are stupid enough to fall for this shit.
I was once one of those stupid people when I was younger. But after getting burnt and doing some research, I ran across the following link
https://www.realcartips.com/scams .
This guy got burnt so bad he went to work for a dealer, learned all of the scams they use and has published those scams online. Realized that in the past, I had fallen for a few of these, especially #67, and now recognize some of our local car dealer commercials (usually small independent dealers) for what they are....SCAMS.
Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I'm really struggling to see a reason to use anything but Carvana (or a similar site) ever in the future. Last weekend, I went to test drive a Scat Pack Widebody just for fun, and I humored the sales guy and let him run some numbers for me.

For my 2021 Mojave with 13,000 miles and over $5,000 in Mopar accessories added on after purchase, he wanted to give me just over $40,000... :LOL:

For a 2021 Scat Pack Widebody with 19,000 miles on it, he wanted $61,000.

He did the little "let me talk to my manager" bullshit, and came back saying they could go down to $60,000 on the Charger, and MAYBE get me 8 year financing to keep the payment low... :LOL:

God I pity people that are stupid enough to fall for this shit.
wait another 6 months and see how much he would want for that Scat Pack!!! I bet it won't be $60K lol It will be like $50K or even $45K. But, he may give you $25K for yours so there is that.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
Friend of mine owns a new car dealership with 2 brands. He's part of committee with the factory and a couple other franchisees about looking into getting rid of the franchise model. All cars would be ordered online from the factory at stated price. Delivered to the closest dealership, where they would get prepped and you would pick it up.
Dealerships would get a flat fee from the factory for the prep work and would get all warranty/service work as they do now.
They are still working through everything, franchise laws, how much would the dealerships get paid, financing, etc. Still a lot of hurdles to overcome. Won't happen for a while but he said that's the way this manufacturer is heading.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Harsher publicly made punishments are the only way we'll curb these practices. I do not trust any car salesmen or finance people, the moment they open their mouth they're usually lying.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Unfortunately, dealer associations across the country had the last 100 years to codify deep in the state legislatures laws to protect themselves. It’s going to take a lot to extricate all of those laws.
Exactly. This is a state issue. Illinois is a cesspool for legislation things. Also just look at NC for a close second for dealer/legislation manipulation IE "cash for clunkers" via Harry Reid and other senator things. The manufacturers are stuck dealing with each state's laws. Dealerships are just working within their systems... and yes buyers get screwed in the process. Fix your state.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my first JLU, a Sport, I made the finance guy apoplectic. He was the typical dour-faced sort, a cranky bastard who was used to having his way with customers.

When I sat down with him, I pleasantly greeted him and informed him I would buy NOTHING extra. He laughed dismissively and launched into his speech, slinging paperwork at me for extras. I sat back and began repeating “No” over and over again, his face getting redder with each repetition. Finally he angrily said, “I’ve NEVER seen anyone get such a damn good deal here. SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!” He glared at me as I pleasantly smiled back.

He launched out of his chair and ran down the manager, and started gesticulating madly in my direction. The manager sternly stuck her finger in his chest, said a few words, then pointed back at his desk. He came back, angrily slung the paperwork at me without the extras, which I signed. I collected my keys, thanked the manager, and told her the finance guy needed to learn some manners and respect. I did not go back to that dealership for the two subsequent Jeeps we bought.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
What is needed for long-term change is for people to use and promote disrupters such as Gupton and the other dealers talked about here in the forum that offer fair, no-nonsense deals.

Unfortunately, 99% of people won't go through the hassle until these type of dealers are more common throughout the country.

Carvana shook the industry, but sadly, Carvana is basically out of business. I've used them twice to sell vehicles to and it was seemless both times. If they go out of business and liquidate their over 100,000 car inventory, used car prices will collapse.

Jeep Wrangler JL Another dealer group busted. Please no politics. Screenshot_20221118_072936_Robinhood

The internet can really educate people on the scams dealers pull, but as a general rule, people claim they are too busy (read that as too lazy) and only care about how much a month.

In speaking with some of my Jeep wanting friends, they say "Well I don't have time to spend a whole day researching on the net."

I tell them two things. Yes, I spent some time researching. The end result was a savings of ~$10,000.

And you don't have to research it, I've done it for you. 🙂

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Once I Saw it was Napleton. I wasn’t surprised. I’ve dealt with one near me and they are horrible

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
wait another 6 months and see how much he would want for that Scat Pack!!! I bet it won't be $60K lol It will be like $50K or even $45K. But, he may give you $25K for yours so there is that.
Oh, I forgot to mention that the previous owner let his girlfriend drive it one time... ONE TIME... and she managed to curb rash two of the wheels and completely eff up the underside of the front splitter. I about cried. It was such a beautiful car.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
What is needed for long-term change is for people to use and promote disrupters such as Gupton and the other dealers talked about here in the forum that offer fair, no-nonsense deals.

Unfortunately, 99% of people won't go through the hassle until these type of dealers are more common throughout the country.

Carvana shook the industry, but sadly, Carvana is basically out of business. I've used them twice to sell vehicles to and it was seemless both times. If they go out of business and liquidate their over 100,000 car inventory, used car prices will collapse.

Jeep Wrangler JL Another dealer group busted. Please no politics. Screenshot_20221118_072936_Robinhood

The internet can really educate people on the scams dealers pull, but as a general rule, people claim they are too busy (read that as too lazy) and only care about how much a month.

In speaking with some of my Jeep wanting friends, they say "Well I don't have time to spend a whole day researching on the net."

I tell them two things. Yes, I spent some time researching. The end result was a savings of ~$10,000.

And you don't have to research it, I've done it for you. 🙂
I've told all my neighbors about Granger and my experience. Hoping they get some sales out of it.

I think a big issue is that often times a car purchase may be an immediate need. Car dies and need a car quickly. This puts the buyer in a tough spot as they may not have time to wait on a car to be ordered and built or to travel to a different state.

What is needed is legislation protecting consumers from the bait & switch tactics, upselling, etc. I work in mortgage business and we have some significant disclosure rules and other compliance requirements that typically prevent a lot of the shady sales practices.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR

I had a positive selling experience with Carvana as well. I thought the business model was great, getting rid of dealer interaction and everything simplified. Too bad they may not make it, but things like those vending machines are such huge investments that i doubt yielded any profits.

usmamg

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Corvette, 2022 Rubicon ER
It is beyond belief the dealer model even exists in 2022. It is the last bastion where the price on the vehicle is anything but.

The number of dealers that I have interacted with that I consider trustworthy is in the 5% or less range. The vast majority of them have no interest in customer service or doing anything other than pulling as much money out of your pocket as possible.
There is no need anymore for dealer based sales. They add no value. We only need service centers. The rest can be completed on the internet.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I don't think it's impossible to have a dealership system that is honest. But the way its currently working is pretty nuts 90% of the time. The sales people generally work really hard for not much money, while the auto dealer itself makes a lot of money usually, basically by having a monopoly on a set of potential purchasers. They're only competing against other brands, not other jeep/ford/porsche etc dealerships. There is a lot of wasted money in the system that just drives up the prices.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Oh, I forgot to mention that the previous owner let his girlfriend drive it one time... ONE TIME... and she managed to curb rash two of the wheels and completely eff up the underside of the front splitter. I about cried. It was such a beautiful car.
oh, that's why the poor guy had to get rid of the car. I really hope it was the end of that girlfriend as well! smh...
Sponsored