Sponsored

Another dealer can't get oil change right

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Maybe we should start a new thread "Dealerships that got the oil change right"!
Probably be a pretty short thread though :P(
Sponsored

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Maybe we should start a new thread "Dealerships that got the oil change right"!
Probably be a pretty short thread though :P(
Most people don't verify work, read their invoice or even know the correct quantity. The connection most people have to their vehicles now is the technology.

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t follow your logic. You won’t let the dealership touch tour ride to do the simplest, almost impossible to screw up basic maintenance function, but you let them tear into your engine, transmission, or electrical system? Since that’s much more crucial, why not DIY that too?
Yet they screw it up time and time again.

I'm with @jeepdabest on this one... warranty work, definitely getting the dealer to do that. They replaced my whole radio because the compass wasn't showing any direction. If they tore into my engine and screwed it up, it would be on them. Outside of warranty, we're in different territory and then it will probably all be DIY or a trusted mechanic. Just like with my YJ. I did TONS of DIY repairs on that thing because it was either that or pay out the ass to have someone else do it. Let's see... $6 engine thermostat or $106 with parts and labor? Easy choice.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'll only use the dealer as a last resort, and warranty work seems to fall in that category.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
After 2 years on sale youd think the lube techs would get shit dight. Ive had two services done so far and both times they added an extra quart. The first time i brought it up with the service manager, and she got the tech. The tech told me "Uh, no. The Wranglers all take 6 quarts." I replied with "Not the Jl" The kid literally got mad, grabbed my keys and stormed out. When asked what he was doing he replied "Im going to look at the dip stick to prove it is right!" Kid came back a minute later with his tail between his legs and simply went "Its over, ill take some out, give me a minute." Fine I get it, new to the Wrangler engine, hasnt seen to many yrt fine. The second time in for service i mentioned the 5 quarts and i got the typical "yeayea i got it." Well guess what, 6 quarts went in. I didnt say anything this time. Its a lease, I can give it back at the end. If the dealer wants to be shitty about simple tasks then screw it. If this causes damage to the engine its on them.

(edit)
I broke and crawled under the Jeep and took out a quart..... The difference between an angry train of thought and a clear and calm one. On a side note, the oil pan is itty bitty and make sure you get all the nooks and cranies after offroading.... I found dried up mud from two weeks ago after 3 carwashed

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don’t follow your logic. You won’t let the dealership touch tour ride to do the simplest, almost impossible to screw up basic maintenance function, but you let them tear into your engine, transmission, or electrical system? Since that’s much more crucial, why not DIY that too?
At the local dealer it takes at least an hour to get checked in. No way I'd bother with that for an oil change, even if it were free lol.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Oil change / tire rotation is most likely done by a minimum wage worker (not even an apprentice) whereas other mechanical work is done by a qualified technician (or an apprentice under supervision.)

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
The old saying, "if you want it done right do it yourself" applies here. Doing an oil change yourself eliminates all the dealer confrontations and leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment. And an added benefit, your away from the computer for a while.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The old saying, "if you want it done right do it yourself" applies here. Doing an oil change yourself eliminates all the dealer confrontations and leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment. And an added benefit, your away from the computer for a while.
And while you're under the hood and under the motor you can look around and notice if anything might need further investigation.
Can never get too familiar w/ your vehicle and DIY oil changes is a good place to start.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Did my first oil change today. By far, the easiest vehicle to change oil and the filter was ridiculously simple. 15 -20 minutes...and when it's over you know it was done RIGHT! I also installed a Goldplug magnetic drain plug and it has a STRONG magnet. Oil and filter were about 32 bucks. Cheap insurance to avoid the unskilled oil jockeys at the dealer putting in extra quarts of oil. The downside was I sucked down a six pack of suds in 15 minutes, tripped over my ratchet, and face planted in the full oil catch pan. My wife said I looked like the Governor of Virginia.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did my first oil change today. By far, the easiest vehicle to change oil and the filter was ridiculously simple. 15 -20 minutes...and when it's over you know it was done RIGHT! I also installed a Goldplug magnetic drain plug and it has a STRONG magnet. Oil and filter were about 32 bucks. Cheap insurance to avoid the unskilled oil jockeys at the dealer putting in extra quarts of oil. The downside was I sucked down a six pack of suds in 15 minutes, tripped over my ratchet, and face planted in the full oil catch pan. My wife said I looked like the Governor of Virginia.
Lol, hope you had a drop tarp for all the splashing around :)

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Has anyone here checked the "meet our team link on one of the dealership pages? The ones I see are top heavy with management.
This is a rundown of titles from one site. Not uncommon for others to be setup the same way.

Dealer Principal
General Sales Manager
Fixed Operations Director
Service Director
New Car Director
Used Car Director
New Car Sales Manager - two of them
Used Car Sales Manager- two of them
BDC Director
Team Leader - 4 of them.
About 40 sales and delivery people.

How can so many dealerships be so clueless with all of this leadership and staff?

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I bought my JLUR in GA but live in East Tennessee. Today, I was checking out a local dealer to get to know them in case the need arises for warranty and for my free oil changes, tire rotations, etc. I would normally do those things myself but where we are living while building our house, the property management does not allow working on cars (downtown loft with parking garage and all that crap). Anyway, this Jeep dealership was acquired by the company that owns our local Porsche, Audi, VW, Maserati, and other dealerships and I have had good luck with them on other makes. Overall, they seemed to be good.

Then I asked the service writer "how many quarts of oil for a JL 3.6 oil change?" He answered, "Six." I said, "Nope, not on a JL 3.6, it's only 5 qts." So we step into the garage and ask one of their mechanics. Same answer, "six". I explained that it changed and I want to make sure mine gets the correct amount. So they look it up on their system. It clearly stated "5 QTS". They were both shocked. The service writer asked the mechanic to print out several sets of those instructions. He realized there was some training to be done. We also looked up for 2020 Grand Cherokee 3.6. It takes 6 quarts as do the other current 3.6 applications. We could only find the JL 3.6 showing 5 qts. No wonder they're screwing it up. Thanks, FCA.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Free oil changes sure cost a lot around here, I'm sticking to DIY, much cheaper IMO!
Yup. I just bought some Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 and Mopar filters for the DIY change on JL I’m still waiting for. It’ll cost me about $18 after rebate.
Sponsored