Sponsored

Another benefit of a white Wrangler. (Trigger warning?)

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
The paint matches the interior fiberglass pretty well, so when a nice Spring day finally arrives, and you drop a Freedom Panel on the ground, you don't have to cry quite as hard.

Jeep Wrangler JL Another benefit of a white Wrangler.  (Trigger warning?) 20210408_152901

(You can still cry a little bit though)

I wasn't looking forward to depositing the free lifetime supply of itchy-dust onto the gasket above my head forevermore when using the panels, so I got ready for a sad repair afternoon instead of happy joyride day.

Jeep Wrangler JL Another benefit of a white Wrangler.  (Trigger warning?) 20210408_153212

But since everything is white, I decided to just clearcoat it. Instead of smearing on that fresh baby-poo, waiting forever, sanding everything, sanding too much, then having to clearcoat an even larger area, telling (lying to) myself that I'll paint it some other day, then looking at those ugly patches every time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Another benefit of a white Wrangler.  (Trigger warning?) 20210408_162257

Cracked the little ridge here too, but the panel has double layers of weatherstripping, so it should be fine. I'll snip off the extra hairs later.

At least it's a nice day out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
nice. i see that white privilege is really working out for you there. kudos. a black jeep could never get away with that.

I am appalled and amused by your statement.

Day isn't a total loss; remembered that I had some mudflaps to put on, so I'm doing that instead of watching the paint dry.

Jeep Wrangler JL Another benefit of a white Wrangler.  (Trigger warning?) 20210408_173501

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@LittleDog

Buy a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop in Twill and put those Freedom Panels where, clumsy can't get to them...

Bestop has a 10% off sale going on right now..

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@LittleDog

Buy a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop in Twill and put those Freedom Panels where, clumsy can't get to them...

Bestop has a 10% off sale going on right now..

That recommendation is much appreciated, but I've lost count of how many times I've almost purchased the Sunrider. I actually have a tan softtop still in its box. The closest I came to getting a Sunrider was at a random off-road shop I found when passing through Pennsylvania last winter offering a twill for ~$680, but I was able to resist.

It's only because I already have a soft top, and also a rooftop box and awning pretty permanently attached to the hardtop, that I don't get the Sunrider.

I am usually careful enough with the panels, but today I tried to save thirty seconds of lobor. I usually put one in the cargo area, tie it down, then put in the other on top and tie it down separately. Today I decided to tie them both in a stack, and while I was removing the second, the first, unsecured one, wobbled itself onto the pavement, due to my shaking the jeep by standing on the doorsill when removing the second.

Lesson learned, temporarily, but all's fair in not being lazy vs. entropy, and the jeep gets another story.

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
That recommendation is much appreciated, but I've lost count of how many times I've almost purchased the Sunrider. I actually have a tan softtop still in its box. The closest I came to getting a Sunrider was at a random off-road shop I found when passing through Pennsylvania last winter offering a twill for ~$680, but I was able to resist.

It's only because I already have a soft top, and also a rooftop box and awning pretty permanently attached to the hardtop, that I don't get the Sunrider.

I am usually careful enough with the panels, but today I tried to save thirty seconds of lobor. I usually put one in the cargo area, tie it down, then put in the other on top and tie it down separately. Today I decided to tie them both in a stack, and while I was removing the second, the first, unsecured one, wobbled itself onto the pavement, due to my shaking the jeep by standing on the doorsill when removing the second.

Lesson learned, temporarily, but all's fair in not being lazy vs. entropy, and the jeep gets another story.
If you buy that sunrider, you'll never want to go back to anything else... it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO NICE

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
If you buy that sunrider, you'll never want to go back to anything else... it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO NICE

Back, Jezebel! I have priorities! Rooftop priorities!

Though if there was a tan or brown version I might be sorely tempted. Panels are still easy enough that I can remove just the Driver-side, and tie it down (or not) in the backseat footwell during a red light if I really wanted to.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Cracked fiberglass can be fixed with superglue (body shop gave me that idea) .
Worked well on my fredom.panel that had dreaded corner. Those fibers suck that liquid glue right in, works better then resin.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Cracked fiberglass can be fixed with superglue (body shop gave me that idea) .
Worked well on my fredom.panel that had dreaded corner. Those fibers suck that liquid glue right in, works better then resin.

Oh, that seems like it would work great, with maybe a little clear coat on top, thank you! Do you mean regular cyanoacrylate-type super glue?

I'll give that a try when next I smash some fiberglass.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
As said above somewhere, buy a Bestop "Sunrider" and leave your panels off and at home! Never worry again, left my Sunrider on all winter this year, panels hanging in their bag in the garage!

Even had the chance to fold the Sunrider back for a few rides! Best thing I ever bought for my Jk's and JL's!!!!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored