Sponsored

Another bad weld recall (W01) coming this week

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2020 Jeep Wrangler vehicles. The left side lower control arm bracket and weld may not be correctly positioned. The improper weld may allow the lower control arm to separate from the axle which can increase the risk of a crash. Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the front axles, replacing them as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 14, 2020. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is W01.

:facepalm:
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is there NO quality control at either vendor completion, or at acceptance at the assembly point ??
These are not minor , how is this possible? If vendor and FCA thought QC was an unnecessary expense, think again...

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
It appears that the bad welds / incorrect installation of front axle left side lower control arm bracket is not the only issues with the 2020 JL's

On my 2020 2-Door Rubicon, the welds left rear bracket looked like this:

Left Rear Bracket On.jpg

During the install of the lift kit, the bracket was removed and the frame behind the bracket looked like this:

Left Rear Bracket.jpg

It appears there was a bunch of weld porosity going on during the installation of the bracket. Possibly a gas issue when they were welding the bracket onto the frame. IMHO, there are some serious weld quality issues at FCA and/or their sub-contractor/suppliers.

For my own safety, I would rather pay the cost to fix the welds by a certified welder that I trust.
I would not have a dealership fix the weld issues unless I could see the weld certifications that their technician has.
For reference, here is the welding a friend did for my CJ.

B4.jpg

IMHO, these are the type of quality welds that should be seen on the JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It appears that the bad welds / incorrect installation of front axle left side lower control arm bracket is not the only issues with the 2020 JL's

Left Rear Bracket On.jpg

During the install of the lift kit, the bracket was removed and the frame behind the bracket looked like this:

Left Rear Bracket.jpg

It appears there was a bunch of weld porosity going on during the installation of the bracket. Possibly a gas issue when they were welding the bracket onto the frame. IMHO, there are some serious weld quality issues at FCA and/or their sub-contractor/suppliers.

For my own safety, I would rather pay the cost to fix the welds by a certified welder that I trust.
I would not have a dealership fix the weld issues unless I could see the weld certifications that their technician has.

B4.jpg

That first pic looks like MY welds! :LOL:

Ok, how they looked the first time I tried welding. For a production line, that's horrible

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Left Rear Bracket On.jpg

Left Rear Bracket.jpg

B4.jpg

Yeah, porosity seems to be a common issue dating back to the early JL weld issues. When I looked at some welds with porosity, members posted, it appeared to me to be a welder competency issue that caused them. The puddles looked like the MIG torch was drastically tilted, which can draw in air into the gas shield and cause porosity. Your bracket looks like it "...was stuck on with bat shit" as my high school welding instructor once said. There's no doubt, your OEM bracket weld was done by a person that didn't know the difference between welding and bat shit. But those new brackets you had done look great. Don't discount a good welder that isn't "certified". "Certified" can mean many things when it comes to welding. Whose certificate? What methods? What materials? What product uses? Most people welding for a living aren't certified by anyone, and yet many many things are properly welded, some exceptionally so.

BigLew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevrolet Bolt Premier, 2021 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired-Banking-Insurance-Coal Miner-Maintenance...a bit of everything! :)
I can't believe that this has been happening since 2018! I've licked my chops wanting to purchase my 4th Wrangler.
I've had a YJ, TJ and JK.....after this posting of these atrocious welds (I really can't call them welds, those are not welds!)....
here I am thinking after the Coronavirus thing is over there should be some great deals on Wranglers and financing.....
but I can see it's not going to happen for me. Like they say on Shark Tank.....I'm out.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
After a 5-6 month wait on a custom ordered JLURD, I'm sure the dealer is going to look at me funny when I ask them to put it up on a rack in their shop, so I can check out the welds after the first test drive. I better not see any halfass welded bracketry.....

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
If you do see some of those interesting welds on the brackets for the arms, it is a sign that you are to immediate go with a Rock Krawler long arm conversion, as shown below:
IMG_9733.jpg

The right part of the photo one can see where the old bracket was welded to the frame. On the left is the new bracket for the long arm that fixed the weld problem.

The factory warranty should cover this necessary repair/upgrade :D

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Left Rear Bracket On.jpg
I just wanted to say - this is freaking awesome! I mean it's either a laugh or cry situation and I find it hilarious!

If that can make it off the floor Jeep should shut down production and implement sweeping changes.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Actually upon further reflection maybe Jeep should take a cue from the older full-size trucks and just start riveting bracketry in place (I realize there are some logistical and practical issues here like space and lack of access).

Clearly they're struggling with this new technology that makes bright light and sparks....

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Actually upon further reflection maybe Jeep should take a cue from the older full-size trucks and just start riveting bracketry in place (I realize there are some logistical and practical issues here like space and lack of access).

Clearly they're struggling with this new technology that makes bright light and sparks....
Or replace the 7-eleven cashiers, they hired to weld, with robotic welders.