Sponsored

Another “35s or 37s?” Thread,,, questions

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
My JLUR has the 2.0T w/ 8 speed auto, and is still on stock suspension and tires. My overall average fuel mileage in the 2200 miles I have on it now is 20.0 mpg. That includes 1/3 of miles accumulated with off road use, 1/3 accumulated with freeway driving, and another 1/3 accumulated with city driving (rural, small town actually). Whoever told you they got 28 to 29 mpg must drive like "that guy". You know, the one that has a whole line of vehicles behind him on a two lane road, because he is driving 20 mph below the speed limit all the time, and the one that does super super slow starts from any stop sign or traffic light, because he is afraid he might drop his mpg numbers.

vasil

First Name
Very_cool_Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon 2018
Mine is 3.6L Manual Transmission

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
My JLUR has the 2.0T w/ 8 speed auto, and is still on stock suspension and tires. My overall average fuel mileage in the 2200 miles I have on it now is 20.0 mpg. That includes 1/3 of miles accumulated with off road use, 1/3 accumulated with freeway driving, and another 1/3 accumulated with city driving (rural, small town actually). Whoever told you they got 28 to 29 mpg must drive like "that guy". You know, the one that has a whole line of vehicles behind him on a two lane road, because he is driving 20 mph below the speed limit all the time, and the one that does super super slow starts from any stop sign or traffic light, because he is afraid he might drop his mpg numbers.
I recently got 14.4 mpg with premium gas and driving like a grandma on my 37” mud grapplers and stock 4.10s(Tazer mini). Now back to 13.6 at 27-29 psi

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
Just ordered 2021 JLU Rubicon and trying to decide on 35s or 37s.

I am aware of the clearance. Planning on an AEV 2.5” DualSport lift.

It is my understanding that the Dana 44s are fine with the 37s. My concern is the transmission and a little fuel economy.

I got the 2.0 liter, so the gas mileage is suppose to be in the upper 20s stock.

The 2.5” AEV lift looks huge with 35s though. I am just trying to avoid being sorry I didn’t go 37s. If it’s not going to be that big of a difference, I may just do it. I had the JkU Sahara, and 37s would have caused way more issues with that Jeep.

Just looking for some friendly input. Thank you guys.
I agree that the 2.5” lift looks too big for 35s.

Sponsored

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would go with 37's if you are going to regear, you can drive with 4.10s but the gas mileage will take a hit, I drove all winter in 4H and was averaging about 12 mpg, by the end of summer I was averaging 15 so in 2h I probably get 18 or so on the highway. You didnt mention if its a MT is so I would regear to 5.13, if its auto like mine then 4.88 works with up to 38" tires. You will also need different rims or spacers to run 35 or 37 so I would go for it and get rims with backspacing to allow 37" tires.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Vasil,

You will need at least 5.13 gears w/ 37" tires driving at elevation in the mountains.....

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I'm running stock axles with 37's and beadlocks. I do have the V6, but my fuel mileage has gone to about 14 if I'm easy on it. I've done plenty of trails with this setup, and it does great. I'm planning on tons and 40's in the future. When I do those I'll get the 5.38 gears.

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Industrial Automation Consultant
I am running 37's with 5.13's and have the 6spd manual 3.6. I am very happy with the looks and performance. I average around 15 but have seen as low as 14 and as high as 17.

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
My JKUR was on 37's. I trussed both axles, RCV's in both, 5.13's, Teraflex adjustable ball joints, powerstop breaks and spicer bearings. I had zero issues running the 37's with bead locks.

IMHO if you are buying a jeep, its a refrigerator box on wheels, then lift and and add the mass to it with gear and armor.....why worry about MPG?

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I am running 35's with a 2.5 inch Clayton and skinned fender and MC inner fenders. Getting 22-23 MPG in mixed driving and around 25 MPG on pure highway (as long as I stay at or below 70)...with the diesel.

Of note my biggest MPG hit was not the switch from 33 OEM tires to the 35s. My biggest drop in mileage came with the 2.5 inch lift. OEM I was 26 - 28 on the highway and 23 - 25 in mixed driving...dropped less than 1 MPG with the tires. The rest of the drop came when I put in the suspension and gained about 3 inches.

Maybe not perfectly comparable because I have the diesel, but i would not pin MPG changes totally on tire size...vehicle height does have a pretty decent impact as well.

vasil

First Name
Very_cool_Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon 2018
I don't know are thinking someone told that t
I am running 35's with a 2.5 inch Clayton and skinned fender and MC inner fenders. Getting 22-23 MPG in mixed driving and around 25 MPG on pure highway (as long as I stay at or below 70)...with the diesel.

Of note my biggest MPG hit was not the switch from 33 OEM tires to the 35s. My biggest drop in mileage came with the 2.5 inch lift. OEM I was 26 - 28 on the highway and 23 - 25 in mixed driving...dropped less than 1 MPG with the tires. The rest of the drop came when I put in the suspension and gained about 3 inches.

Maybe not perfectly comparable because I have the diesel, but i would not pin MPG changes totally on tire size...vehicle height does have a pretty decent impact as well.
I know that vehicle height has a bigger impact on mpgs than tires, BUT i noticed when my mpgs went down after I went from 37 to 35s.

vasil

First Name
Very_cool_Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon 2018
My JKUR was on 37's. I trussed both axles, RCV's in both, 5.13's, Teraflex adjustable ball joints, powerstop breaks and spicer bearings. I had zero issues running the 37's with bead locks.

IMHO if you are buying a jeep, its a refrigerator box on wheels, then lift and and add the mass to it with gear and armor.....why worry about MPG?
I wont worry about MPGS is if never drove from Arizona to Alaska.

vasil

First Name
Very_cool_Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon 2018
I am running 37's with 5.13's and have the 6spd manual 3.6. I am very happy with the looks and performance. I average around 15 but have seen as low as 14 and as high as 17.
Are you running on a stock clutch?

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
Are you running on a stock clutch?
Yes. It was the 3.6. Manual trans. Torque for days. Would t win a drag race but it crawls up anything. I wouldn't go bigger with tires or to 5.38. The pinion gear would be really small and would risk breaking. I'd get D60's or bigger for 5.38
Sponsored