Sponsored

Annoying horn blasts when exiting Jeep with engine running.

OP
OP
Chugiakguy

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
can you not install the “12 volt” aftermarket one? I guess you could verify with the company, but I can’t imagine the lack of power locks prevents remote star…. It’s worth a shot
OK, interesting point, KW22! It's been my impression, or maybe just my assumption, that having manual locks, and/or manual transmission, precludes any sort of remote start system.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
A remote starter is not an option for a Willys Sport with manual locks.
There are aftermarket solutions...I've installed a couple on Volkswagens when people said it couldn't be done.
I wouldn't disconnect your door harness, or horns. Terrible ideas.
New cars are basically rolling computers, some OEMs will give you options like this to change, others don't. The Nanny state as many have pointed out.
The Tazer mini is worth it's weight in gold. Easy enough to remove if you need to go to the dealer. I saw a good deal recently in the classifieds here.
So glad my 2020 didn't do this. It's a manual, I can start it, get out, lock the doors, walk away and it stays running with no drama. That's 90% of what I used remote start for in previous vehicles.

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee
For good reasons that I do not care to go into, leaving the fob inside the vehicle is also not an option for me.
Reminds me of the time I got burned bad by a faulty lock system. I was a new engineer, assigned to drive the Chief Engineer to a meeting. I went and picked up the car, left it running near the lobby and got out of the car to clean of windshield of snow and ice. The instant that door closed, the car locked everything. Ugh. Fortunately the office had a spare key.

Lifetime lesson learned. If the car has door locks, and you have the key inside the car, you MUST roll down a window before closing doors. Always. And that lesson saved me multiple times.. Note: I was working in automotive and I've driven (and tested) thousands of different cars. (Manufacturers License plate. Drove new car home every day for years...)

OP
OP
Chugiakguy

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Reminds me of the time I got burned bad by a faulty lock system. I was a new engineer, assigned to drive the Chief Engineer to a meeting. I went and picked up the car, left it running near the lobby and got out of the car to clean of windshield of snow and ice. The instant that door closed, the car locked everything. Ugh. Fortunately the office had a spare key.

Lifetime lesson learned. If the car has door locks, and you have the key inside the car, you MUST roll down a window before closing doors. Always. And that lesson saved me multiple times.. Note: I was working in automotive and I've driven (and tested) thousands of different cars. (Manufacturers License plate. Drove new car home every day for years...)
If I had discovered that the Wranglers had that same kind of insane auto-locking function, I'd be sending my Jeep over a cliff right about now!

I've love to meet an engineer responsible for those kind of nannyish and idiotic vehicular features at a party some time, just so that I could punch him in the throat good and hard.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
“The world needs this feature, it’ll warn people they are wasting 3 milliliters of gas!” Said the engineer in Europe who rides public transportation.
It's not there to warn people they're wasting gas, it's there to remind you that you walked away from a running vehicle and someone can get in and drive it away.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chugiakguy

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
It's not there to warn people they're wasting gas, it's there to remind you that you walked away from a running vehicle and someone can get in and drive it away.
While completely neglecting ALL the many other possible scenarios in which a driver might logically exit the vehicle momentarily or temporarily while it is running --- to retrieve something left behind, to check on a tire, to clean snow or ice from the vehicle, to open or close a gate, etc. etc.

Give us the damn choice to decide for ourselves what to do! One size does NOT fit all!

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While completely neglecting ALL the many other possible scenarios in which a driver might logically exit the vehicle momentarily or temporarily while it is running --- to retrieve something left behind, to check on a tire, to clean snow or ice from the vehicle, to open or close a gate, etc. etc.

Give us the damn choice to decide for ourselves what to do! One size does NOT fit all!
Wouldnt the simple solution to those scenarios be to just leave the fob inside? I know you said for some reason that that isn't an option for you but, barring the option to disable the feature, it is the simplest solution

OP
OP
Chugiakguy

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Wouldnt the simple solution to those scenarios be to just leave the fob inside? I know you said for some reason that that isn't an option for you but, barring the option to disable the feature, it is the simplest solution
What if one were not using the fob in the first place? It is possible, you know, such as those who only use the fob without the battery, or who have one of those Threedom fob-chip-containing keyheads.

I will be very curious to experiment today with removing the battery from the fob, starting up the Jeep by just touching the fob directly to the push-button start, and then seeing what getting out and closing the door while leaving it running will do.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What if one were not using the fob in the first place? It is possible, you know, such as those who only use the fob without the battery, or who have one of those Threedom fob-chip-containing keyheads.

I will be very curious to experiment today with removing the battery from the fob, starting up the Jeep by just touching the fob directly to the push-button start, and then seeing what getting out and closing the door while leaving it running will do.
I hope that works for you.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

I would guess that this works if it doesn't sense the fob.

Sponsored

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon

My guess is then you’ll have that annoying “key fob not detected” message on your dash. Not positive but every mopar I’ve had when the battery was getting weak or dead would do this

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ok, so I just went into the UConnect Screen to verify. Man, I just realized I was looking at the wrong option. You can disable the horn with the alarm - not exiting with it running. That was my mistake. However, while I was out I stopped by the Jeep Dealer and according to the Service Department, there is currently no way to disable this by flashing unless you use a tazer JL mini device.

Really sorry about getting your hopes up. I'm slightly embarrassed to get all this commotion over something I didn't fully read. My bad.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Just checked the '23 manual, and it states the same expected behavior ("vehicle's horn will rapidly chirp three times along with a single flash of the vehicle's exterior lights") and the only mention of a scenario where this won't occur, is when one of the doors are left open. Later on in the manual, where the setting to disable horn with first lock press (on fob or door) is described, there is no mention of being able to disable the 3 chirp warning.

However, there does appear to be an option to completely disable the proximity lock system entirely, which should eliminate this behavior. Probably not a feasible option for you, and really not sure why they can allow that as an option, but not a way to disable just the warning itself.

I'll check for any settings that appear similar, but honestly don't recall ever seeing one (other than the horn disable for first lock press). Nevermind, looks like the lack of this setting on a '23 was also confirmed.

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I know, just being a smartass. It probably has something to do with leaving a vehicle running with the possibility of a child putting it in gear by accident. Just like how some cars now tell you to check the back seat when there’s a car seat present. It is a horrible design that it can’t be disabled with a dash button. .
Sponsored