Android Auto and Text Messages

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Is there any way to use voice-to-text for outgoing text messages instead of one of the 8.4 uConnects preset messages?

In my wife's Compass with the 8.4 and Apple CarPlay, she can have Siri send any text message she wants.

Gerald
Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Plug phone into serial port and Android auto allows it. Reads them as well. You can 'hey Google' and say text bill or call Mary or find 76 gas. Works great for me.

OP
OP
gbr

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Plug phone into serial port and Android auto allows it. Reads them as well. You can 'hey Google' and say text bill or call Mary or find 76 gas. Works great for me.
Interesting. I have mine plugged into the dash USB port, and that doesn't seem to work. I'll try again.

SlicksWifesJL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2017 Civic SI, 2006 S2000
If you have the "hey google" feature turned off, there should be a microphone button on the bottom right corner of the android auto screens. You can use that as well. If you get a message about voice functions not available, then you need to enable permissions in the Google app.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
If you have the "hey google" feature turned off, there should be a microphone button on the bottom right corner of the android auto screens. You can use that as well. If you get a message about voice functions not available, then you need to enable permissions in the Google app.
Indeed there are times that little button needs to pushed!!!

Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Interesting. I have mine plugged into the dash USB port, and that doesn't seem to work. I'll try again.
I have mine plugged in inside the console and drilled a small hole to come out from within the e brake slit. Seemed cleaner than wires hanging out of dash. I keep my phone in a seat sleeve between seat and console. It's also imperative to have a data compatible cable. The first cable I used was not data compatible and none of those features worked.
Hope that helps you

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Also, you have to hold the button on your steering wheel, not just push it. Pushing it triggers the Uconnect voice thing, holding it triggers Google.
Now there is something I did not know. Thanks fer that! I will indeed try little tidbit out!

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
enable google assistant on your phone, then make sure your google assistant can see your contacts so you can reference phone contacts by name. When driving just say "hey google" or "ok google", never needed to push any buttons to make it work

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7394306?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7126196?hl=en

Edit:
Also you need to be plugged in with a data USB cable, with the order of priority with the head unit being dash usb c, dash usb a, center console usb a, rear seats data usb c, rear seats data usb a

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
if you're using Android Auto via USB, then all you have to do is hold the steering button for 3 seconds as @jdubya421 said. And google will activate and await your command.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gbr

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Also, you have to hold the button on your steering wheel, not just push it. Pushing it triggers the Uconnect voice thing, holding it triggers Google.
I didn't know that.

OP
OP
gbr

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey Google or OK Google works, but anything I say after that is ignored. Same thing with pressing the microphone button.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Google or OK Google works, but anything I say after that is ignored. Same thing with pressing the microphone button.
Are you running Android Auto, and sure it is starting up on the head unit?

I do notice that I have to give it time to load up, if I try to start commands too soon, it seems to just get confused. Typically, I let AA start up, open up a map, wait for the map to draw and position me,THEN usually I won't have issues with prompts and commands.

On a very rare occasion, I have to disconnect AA and reconnect it.

OP
OP
gbr

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are you running Android Auto, and sure it is starting up on the head unit?

I do notice that I have to give it time to load up, if I try to start commands too soon, it seems to just get confused. Typically, I let AA start up, open up a map, wait for the map to draw and position me,THEN usually I won't have issues with prompts and commands.

On a very rare occasion, I have to disconnect AA and reconnect it.
Definitely running, listening to Spotify and Waze telling me where to go. I'll try a different cable when I get the Jeep back (getting the lift installed today!!!)

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely running, listening to Spotify and Waze telling me where to go. I'll try a different cable when I get the Jeep back (getting the lift installed today!!!)

When you say "Waze telling me"? Do you ever get the AA icon in the lower right of your screen?
I ask because spotify and waze will produce sound over bluetooth even when AA is not running.

On mine at least, the phone icon becomes AA when it connects
Xs4AZGuwP1YIKNfLXWEqrmCwPYeF939dcbLw9H_DbxS7EWffApG7i5bOaG0Sa84R_ZV_r9017Yi1K2Ax1cqDa87QwCL34xgC.jpg
Sponsored